Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First BSOD on my W7 machine

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 The Man from Oahu

The Man from Oahu

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 25 March 2016 - 12:47 PM

I experienced my first BSOD on my W7 PC this afternoon, yay!
Everything was running fine, I started encoding a DVD and let it work (usually it takes from 1.5 to 2 hours to complete). When I returned about 1 hour later the monitor was showing this wonderful blue screen of death. Sooner or later...
Unfortunately I didn't take note of all the numbers, this is what I remember:

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR
0X0000007A
win32k.sys

I restarted the computer and I got this:

NTLDR is missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

I did it and I got the same message again, and again. So the computer doesn't boot anymore.

Can anybody suggest me how to proceed?
Any help will be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 26 March 2016 - 11:29 AM

Your HDD is likely failing.

Run SeaTools for DOS, LONG test - https://www.sysnative.com/forums/hardware-tutorials/4072-hard-drive-hdd-diagnostics.html

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#3 The Man from Oahu

The Man from Oahu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 03:45 PM

Thanks for the reply.

My system drive is a SSD (Crucial M550), I have two Western Digital HDDs also. 
After the BSOD occurred I left the computer off for a couple of hours, then I entered the BIOS to check if the drives were detected correctly, everything looked ok so I tried again to boot and again I got the NTLDR missing message. Restarted, finally it managed to load the OS.
I ran sfc /scannow but no violations.
CrystalDiskInfo says all my drives are Good. I checked the SSD with HD Tune and the Western Digital utility (Data Lifeguard Diagnostic):

th_Crucial_reallocated_event_count_20160 th_Crucial_end_to_end_error_rate_2016032

I have been suggested to install Crucial Storage Executive and check the RAM with Memtest86.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 04:53 PM

Have you checked BOTH of the Western Digital drives with the long/extended test?

It is also possible for a failing hard drive to pass the short/quick tests and still fail the long/extended one.

SMART is just a predictive technology and often isn't very accurate (IME)

But, it's giving warnings on the SSD, so I'd have to wonder about that.

Here's a list of some free diagnostics (to include Memtest86+:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

If it were my system, I'd pursue the hard drive angle first.  The warnings on the Crucial SSD are ominous IMO.

You also may want to check on any available firmware updates for this drive.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 The Man from Oahu

The Man from Oahu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 05:21 PM

Hi and thanks to you too.

As a matter of fact yes, I checked both the WD HDD with the DLD utility (Extended Test) a few days ago (before the BSOD, in relation to this issue), they both passed the test.

I'll give a look at the link you posted, thanks.

#6 The Man from Oahu

The Man from Oahu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 11:13 AM

After a couple of days off I started the computer today and I got the "NTLDR is missing" screen again.

I tried to restart a couple of times with no success.

@usasma

if I am undestanding correctly the site you linked, I should run one of Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostic programs since I can't access to Windows at the moment. But I don't see a specific utility for Crucial SSDs.

Any suggestion on how to proceed?

P.S.: the drives are all visible in the BIOS. Does this rule out possible faulty cables?

Edited by The Man from Oahu, 29 March 2016 - 11:16 AM.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 06:03 AM

There are no specific bootable utilities for an SSD.

I would test by substituting a hard drive (or even another SSD) for the SSD and installing Windows on that (this is only temporary, so you won't have to worry about activating it)

Then see if the problem recurs.

If you don't have a hard drive/SSD to try this on, you can always purchase one from a store that will allow returns (that way you can get your money back if you don't need it).

Hard drives can still be visible in the BIOS, even if there is a problem with a cable.

BUT, if you don't have any cables handy (or can't borrow them), then hold off on that for now.

You can always purchase them from a store that will allow returns (that way you can get your money back if you don't need them).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 The Man from Oahu

The Man from Oahu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 08:50 AM

I was planning to buy a HDD to replace one of my backup drives that seems to be at the end of its life so I could buy this hard disk, use it for testing and then use it for my backups. The only problem is it's a 5400 RPM drive (so no good as a system drive).

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 01:59 PM

You can use that to test.  And if it's too slow (but fixes your problem) then you can get a faster drive (or SSD) and then wipe the slow drive and use it for storage.

#10 The Man from Oahu

The Man from Oahu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 02:36 PM

I managed to boot Windows again (for some unknown reason one of the two hard disks was set as the boot device in the BIOS).
I checked the SSD with Crucial Storage Executive and CrystalDiskInfo, both programs reported the drive health status as good.

According to CrystalDiskInfo and Western Digital Data Ligeguard Diagnostic (Extended Test) both my HDDs are good.

So I'm back to square one.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2016 - 05:03 AM

Your choice on how you proceed.  I'd still worry a bit as the first tests called your SSD's health into question.

#12 The Man from Oahu

The Man from Oahu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2016 - 11:55 AM

Summarizing:

- HD Tune reports Reallocated Events Count = 16. According to some readings I have been doing on the Web this could be normal for a SSD

- WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic reports a red value for End to End Error Rate, I don't know what this is but as far as i understand its ID should be B8, not B4.

- CrystalDiskInfo reports all values ok

- Crucial Storage Executive reports all values ok (still Reallocated Events = 16 and Read Errors = 47, probably these values are considered normal)

I suspect that some of these programs misinterpret S.M.A.R.T. values because they are designed for HDDs not SSDs.

I would consider the Crucial program as the most reliable since it is from the manufacturer of the drive.

Tbh I don't know how to proceed, maybe I'll keep using the computer until I get another BSOD.

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2016 - 05:55 PM

Tests are just tests.  They give you clues on how to proceed, but I never consider them as 100% accurate.

As the issue seems related to the SSD/HDD, the next test would be to try a new drive (either an SSD or an HDD).

If you don't have one to try, you may want to purchase one from a shop that will accept returns (and give you your money back) if it doesn't fix things.

As it's just a test, don't bother to activate the OS on it right away.

Only activate it if you're going to keep the drive and the OS installation.

Good luck!

#14 The Man from Oahu

The Man from Oahu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2016 - 12:58 PM

If you don't have one to try, you may want to purchase one from a shop that will accept returns (and give you your money back) if it doesn't fix things.

The computer works fine right now so I wouldn't see any difference even with a new drive.

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 06:15 AM

That's the problem with BSOD's - until they appear you don't know if there's a problem or not.

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users