Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PXE-E61 Media Test Failure

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 carter7984

carter7984

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 25 March 2016 - 09:59 AM

Hello,

First, let me thank you, for taking the time to review my issue.  It certainly means a lot.  Second, I have searched Google, and this forum to see if any of the instances I am facing have been brought up.  While they have, and I have tried some of the solutions, I am still at a loss.  So, my sincerest apologies if I missed something while searching.

Dell N5050 Laptop -- Win 7

Yesterday, I ran CC Cleaner, and chose the "Wipe Free Space" option.  It ran for about 2 hours, and wasn't anywhere nearing completion.  I stopped it.  My computer restarted and I received a black screen that says "PXE-E61 Media Test Failure" and "PXE-MOF Exiting PXE ROM"

Now, one of the odd things, is that, if I turn my comptuer off (using power button) and it asks if I want to boot in Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, or Start Windows Normally, I can choose Start Windows Normally, and Windows loads fine and everything, and I am able to use my computer.  But if I shut it down or restart the proper way, that is when I get the black screen with those messages.  

I hope this is detailed enough, and we can help to solve this issue.

Again, many thanks for your assistance.

Best,

Edited by hamluis, 25 March 2016 - 12:27 PM.
Moved from Crashes/BSODs to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,067 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 11:33 AM

The last time that I saw those error messages was in ~2010 while trying to replace a hard drive in an old Dell system. I later figured out that the new HDD was bad.

Back up all of your important files as a preventive measure.

Run HDD diagnostics - SeaTools for DOS, LONG test - https://www.sysnative.com/forums/hardware-tutorials/4072-hard-drive-hdd-diagnostics.html

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

p.s. I'm requesting that the Mods move this thread out of the BSOD forum so more eyes will see it and hopefully be able to answer your questions directly. I do not know exactly what the error messages mean.

EDIT: I would stay away from the "Wipe Free Space" option in CCleaner in the future.

Edited by jcgriff2, 25 March 2016 - 11:36 AM.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015

#3 carter7984

carter7984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 11:46 AM

Thank you for your response.

I did as you suggested.  It still says "No Harddrive Can be Found" 

But why can I get all the way through by pressing "Start Windows Normally" and all that?

#4 carter7984

carter7984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 11:51 AM

I did the dell diagnostics and it shows an X next to Hard drive as well

#5 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• 1,067 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 12:01 PM

There must be a problem with the HDD itself or cables then - if it's not being recognized.

Be sure to copy important files now because you may not be able to boot up for much longer. The drive may completely fail.

Run chkdsk /r in a CMD prompt screen; select "Y" to the question, then re-boot. chkdsk will run upon restart.

I don't know why it's allowing you to boot normally by jumping through hoops, but something seems seriously wrong with the HDD &/or the cables.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 25 March 2016 - 12:32 PM

One item that can result in the PXE error is a failing CMOS battery, IME.

1.  Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log

List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

2.  Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.  

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Louis

#7 carter7984

carter7984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 03:36 PM

Can't even get it to boot up in Windows anymore. I think its done for

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 05:12 AM

Just a few thoughts:

In most cases, when you see the PXE boot screen, the system has skipped booting from the hard drive.

Most often this was seen to be due to defective hardware (bad HDD).  That can be confirmed with a Hard Drive diagnostic (but may not work correctly with an SSD).

But more recently, I'm seeing one of two things:

- somehow the hard drive/Windows Boot Manager has been shifted to later on in the boot order.  Check in your BIOS/UEFI to be sure that they are first.

- that the BCD has become corrupted.  There are various methods for fixing/rebuilding it on the web (I'm not well-versed in it, so I'll leave those suggestions to Google)

Startup Repair is the first place to start with that, then rebuilding the BCD.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users