Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

no internet connection

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 angieInVA

angieInVA

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 25 March 2016 - 07:55 AM

this morning when trying to connection to the internet I got the dreaded "there is no internet connection.  I swapped out the cables, used a different port on the router, ran the network diagnostics for Windows XP,

with windows not detecting any wired or wireless network cards installed

Device Manager only lists 1394 Net Adapter under Network adapters

could it be a card gone bad or something else.

It's a Compaq 6715b which I use for school work

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,640 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 08:31 AM

Do you see any Yellow Exclamation Marks in Device Manager? Not being able to detect your LAN or Wifi devices could be a larger issue than just software. Have you tried rebooting the computer? 

#3 angieInVA

angieInVA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 08:33 AM

yes I have rebooted a few times and I have no yellow exclamation marks

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,640 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 08:48 AM

To rule out a hardware issue download Fatdog64Fatdog64-702.iso  Burn the iso file to a CD by right clicking on a Windows 7 computer and selecting Burn Disk Image or by using a program like Imgburn to burn an image to disk. Boot the disk and see if you can connect via Ethernet or Wireless.

If a CD is not available then you can use Rufus with the iso to create a bootable USB flash drive. Attach a flash drive to your available computer. Run Rufus and select MBR with BIOS or UEFI for a partition scheme. Leave all boxes as checked. Where you see FreeDos in the dropdown box select iso image. click the small icon and browse to the iso file of Fatdog. Press Start. Backup any data on the flash drive as it will be erased.

Attach the flash drive and boot the computer. Tap Esc while booting then F9, This should bring up a boot menu where you can select your boot device.

This is XP SP3, correct? 

If Fatdog cannot connect via Ethernet or USB then you are dealing with a possible motherboard problem. Googling this particular model shows that the problem is common. A possible solution would be to use a USB WIFI dongle like this. There are cheaper generic ones on Ebay.

#5 angieInVA

angieInVA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 09:36 AM

bleep, SeaMonkey "Address Not Found"  when I attempted to go to google.com

our modem is not wireless, do they make something like what you suggest that I can use?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 25 March 2016 - 10:03 AM

I would try connecting directly to the wired connection, leaving the modem out of the equation.

Louis

#7 angieInVA

angieInVA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 10:07 AM

wired connection??   I'm not sure what you mean Louis.    the modem is working with our desktop

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,640 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 10:16 AM

If the modem/router does not have wireless capability you can try a USB to Ethernet Dongle. You may be able to find something local. This is just an example of what to look for.

#9 angieInVA

angieInVA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 10:36 AM

thanks for you help, I'm off to do a little shopping

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,640 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 10:52 AM

Just expect to pay a lot more at places like BestBuy. You may find a cheaper version at a local computer shop. I have successfully used one of these adapters to connect via Ethernet.

It would be a good idea to ask if you can return the item in case you are dealing with a different hardware problem.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 25 March 2016 - 10:54 AM

My cable provides Internet access via ethernet.  I can either connect the system directly to the cable modem...and, in turn, connect the cable modem to a router...or I can connect the cable connection directly to a NIC on the system.  The router allows me to connect more than one system, as opposed to only one via direct connection.,,the router also provides an additional security layer.

Louis

#12 angieInVA

angieInVA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 10:08 PM

I paid about $20 for one and it seems to be working fine, the unit does seem to get a little warm but besides that I'm able to get back online.

thanks again

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,640 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 08:16 AM

Your Welcome,

Glad you are back online and thanks for the update.

Edit: In the future you may want to consider purchasing a wireless router to attach to the modem to give you more mobility.

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 March 2016 - 09:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users