Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice needed for very first home server network project

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ajac63

ajac63

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 25 March 2016 - 07:48 AM

I'm thinking of setting-up a basic home server network for the first time and to this end have done this diagram for visual reference.  I just need to know if I've got it right :)

connectvtyDiagSimpl_zpsunro9vdh.png

I want WiFi connectivity, but not sure if I connect a WiFi adapter to a switch and the switch to the ethernet port via cable.

My spec:

Asus M'board Micro ATX, DDR3

AMD Athlon x4

WD 500GB HD SATA

MEM Gskill 8GB DDR3 unbuffered

Asus DVD optical

WiFi Netgear Router-modem, Asus USB dongle

Antec 650W PSU

Edited by ajac63, 25 March 2016 - 12:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ajac63

ajac63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 12:01 PM

Any advice, help?

#3 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 25 March 2016 - 02:32 PM

According to that the server isn't going to have a wired connection and the switch will obtain internet thru a wifi connected server..? I don't think that's possible but I could be wrong.

Edited by chalup, 25 March 2016 - 02:32 PM.

#4 ajac63

ajac63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 03:02 AM

According to that the server isn't going to have a wired connection and the switch will obtain internet thru a wifi connected server..? I don't think that's possible but I could be wrong.

Thanks.  Yes and No ;)  The WiFi router, which I already have, will be just for the Internet (connection via USB dongle), but I will still also need a wireless connection between the server and client/s.  So in the diagram, that's why I've shown a wired switch going to the ethernet port and a WiFi network adapter going into the switch.  So yes, Internet access to the client systems will be via the server.  If this is not possible, how else can I do it?  What would you suggest?

There's no way I'm going to run yards and yards of ethernet cable between different rooms in my accommodation, so I must be able to do it by WiFi connectivity...

Edited by ajac63, 26 March 2016 - 03:12 AM.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 28 March 2016 - 05:56 AM

If you want two different wireless networks you need two wireless routers or a wireless router that supports a guest network.  So, I guess the question is, how do you want the networks set up, as in what devices can talk to what devices and what devices can connect to the Internet?

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 28 March 2016 - 12:20 PM

diagram is incorrect.  You have wifi in series.  You also can't have a wifi dongle in a switch.  The dongle needs software to run it and you can't run software on a switch.

correct diagram is to have the server and client connect via wifi to the router.  Thru the router the server and client can connect and get internet access.

even then expect server access to be slower due to the packet overhead wifi has compared to a wired connection.

If the series thing is due to distances consider using HomePlugs for your network connections.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users