Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

50GB of my harddisk not accessible

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 amirmhrzan11

amirmhrzan11

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 12:54 AM

One year ago, i kept dual operating system windows 7 and ubuntu. At the beginning I kept Windows 7. I shrink my D drive to extra 50 GB and installed UBuntu in it. Few days ago, i Mistakely deleted Ubuntu from Windows 7. Now my 50GB space shows free but not accessible. What is the problem? What can be done to get access to that 50GB space.Attached File  problem.jpg   71.05KB   0 downloads

Edited by hamluis, 25 March 2016 - 04:02 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Linux - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 25 March 2016 - 07:23 AM

Windows Disk Management is incompatible with Linux file systems.  Use a live GParted disc/USB instead and see if the Ubuntu partition is still there.

Edited by Agouti, 25 March 2016 - 07:23 AM.

#3 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 25 March 2016 - 01:55 PM

As Agouti says, Linux uses a different file system from Windows.  When you go with dual boot on the same hard drive, everything works fine until you make a change like you just did.  I had to learn the hard way too!   :bounce:

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#4 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 25 March 2016 - 06:55 PM

easeus partition manager is what i use (version 9.1.0 as i've heard the newer versions now display ads) YMMV

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#5 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 26 March 2016 - 03:10 AM

Folks, let's show some manners?

First up -

amirmhrzan11, :welcome: to BC (Bleeping Computer) and to the Linux & Unix section. We hope you will enjoy your time here.

Second - once you have perhaps followed friend Agouti's advice to establish whether the Linux is still there - do you have significant personal data stored within the Linux Ubuntu?

If so, you may need to move quickly before it is overwritten, using a facility known as "testdisk".

Let me know if you wish to follow that course.

If no data (that has not been the subject of backup) is at risk, then your simplest course is to reinstall Ubuntu from a Live medium.

We're here for you

:wizardball: Wizard

Some days. don't you just feel like :smash:  ?

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 26 March 2016 - 04:03 AM

amirmhrzan11,  :welcome: to the Linux Community of Bleeping Computer Forums! :)

Obviously you know how to use a partition tool, or you would not had regained access to Windows 7, or like myself, used EasyBCD 2.2/2.3 as the bootloader on Windows 7. I see that you have 4 Primary partitions already in place, and chances of it being GPT are slim, yet possible on some later model Windows 7 computers that were converted to Windows 8 upon release. Could you please install a partitioning tool software, such as Mini Tool Partition Wizard (my favorite) & provide a snapshot for us to examine the scheme? You may even be able to recover the partition. 

http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

Another possibility, was this a WUBI type of Ubuntu install? That's possible even with 4 Primaries, because no partitions has to be created, just defrag the drive really good, about two runs to be on the safe side, and execute the WUBI tool to install Ubuntu within Windows. While it's not meant as a permanent way to install, many, myself included, got our first taste of Linux via WUBI when it enjoyed high popularity. 

Please post back with the requested snapshot using a real partition tool for better identification & we'll do our best to assist. :)

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 26 March 2016 - 04:04 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 amirmhrzan11

amirmhrzan11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 10:59 AM

Thanks all of you for suggestion and happy to see that I am getting many tips from all of you guys. Actually i have deleted the Ubuntu. Now the problem is I am not able to get access to my 50gb space. Cant i remerge it to my other drive.

#8 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 02:37 PM

Caution! Please read for more information.

While the risk is minute, when partitioning you are putting all data on the drive at risk. While most people do not bother to create backups before partitioning (myself included), it is advisable to backup anything of value (including operating systems), or at the very least become familiar with a recovery tool, in case the worst case senario becomes a reality.

i have deleted the Ubuntu. Now the problem is I am not able to get access to my 50gb space. Cant i remerge it to my other drive.

Ubuntu was on a logical partition, housed inside an extended partition. You've deleted the logical partition, and the free space is within the extended partition. I'm not seeing a problem. Can you elaborate on what are you hoping to do with the 50GB of free space?

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2016 - 02:22 AM

Ubuntu was on a logical partition, housed inside an extended partition. You've deleted the logical partition, and the free space is within the extended partition. I'm not seeing a problem. Can you elaborate on what are you hoping to do with the 50GB of free space?

OK, I see now, the normal 'system' partition has been deleted, really not needed anyway on Windows 7 unless one either decides to use Bitlocker on the Ultimate version (those with a physical TPM doesn't need this), and to use the Windows Anytime Upgrade option from the Control Panel, using a key available from the Windows Store & local & online retailers to upgrade from one version of 7 to another (a Full Retail COA may be used also). The most commonly used one was from Home Premium to Pro for the many added features, including unlocking access to more than 16GB of RAM. Ultimate was good mainly for Bitlocker & language packs, otherwise didn't offer near as many features as Pro. 

Otherwise, it's not needed, though as pictured, still good to keep the space free, may one day again become needed. 

Great trick to free a otherwise useless partition & install a Linux OS on a freed up space anywhere else on the drive, and the waste of a Primary over 100-350MiB of space made no sense to me. :)

If you wish, and don't have data stored that requires that you recover the lost partitions, you may feel free to reinstall Ubuntu at any time. Should you wish to recover the partition, some of the free partition tools can do the job, yet take the advise by hollowface above seriously. Backup what you have, so that's not lost also. If you don't have a backup software installed, Macrium Reflect is the most feature filled of the free offerings, in addition to offering a WinPE bootable ISO, also offers a startup option to backup, recover or clone drives & loads very fast, much more so than a CD or USB stick ever could. The WinPE media is best used when the system won't boot, or if cloning a removed internal drive to a new one installed. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users