I'll list my symptoms, found malware and what I've done so far to diagnose / fix the problem.
After running SFC /scannow I receive the following message:
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
What I've done so far to ascertain that this is caused by malware:
- I started by running DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth.
- After that I ran SFC /Scannow which reported "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.".
- I ran SFC /Scannow again but this time it reported "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to repair some of them.".
- I then ran Cleanmgr as advised by some search engine research, to rule out the possibility of the contents of WinSxS > Pending Deletes and WinSxS > Pending Renames causing the error.
- I reran SFC /scannow. It reported that it found corruption and repaired it.
- I reran SFC /Scannow again but it reported that it detected corrupt files but could not repair them.
- After some further search engine research I concluded, according to multiple forum responses, that this is a strong indicator of malware presence.
Malware I have detected so far:
- My antivirus detected a Trojan on my computer (Trojware.Win32.CoinMiner.IEGT@315256396) in an old .exe file I had in my downloads folder. It claimed successful quarantine and removal.
- The SFC /Scannow problem of alternating between claiming to have fixed all corruption and claiming not to have fixed all corruption still recurs.
I can supply further information as requested.
Edited by Thelps, 24 March 2016 - 10:43 PM.