Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Constant/endless clicking noises driving me crazy!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Durzo

Durzo

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 24 March 2016 - 06:52 PM

Preface:

Hi all. I'm having a problem that's really driving me nuts and figured it's finally time to join you guys here; hands-down the best tech support site on the web.

I also just wanted to preface this with saying that I've had many experiences with people asking online for my help, I put a whole bunch of time and work in, then for whatever reason they no longer want my help and just disappear without a word. Personally I think that's really inconsiderate; treating online helpers like an automated database without a simple "thanks, but I'm done", so just want to assure you I won't & don't do that.

Problem:

My computer is getting worse and worse with making these clicking noises from my headphones as though I'm opening a link, spaced frequently but at totally random intervals; probably averaging 4-6 clicks every 10 seconds. I finally just gave up on watching any videos as it's too irritating to enjoy anything. 

This issue has gone on for at least a month... probably longer, but I have no idea how much since I didn't really take note until it became such a constant issue.

I came across this exact same topic on another thread here, but it was left unresolved:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/326149/pc-keeps-making-clicking-noise/

So you know and I can spare you the effort of writing it all, I downloaded all the freeware utilities linked there and read everything on the page, noting all the instructions (I have a very good memory). The utilities I DL'd from there include the following (I've never used them before though):

- DeFogger

- Download DDS

- RKUnHooker

- I also already have Emsisoft's variant of HijackThis.

Potentially-Relevant Facts About My System:

- 3 days ago I did a successful OS repair install ("Reset this PC" option - opting to keep files & apps/programs) to smooth-out system functionality and fix these issues (in case they're related): 

1) Runtime errors (Successfully Fixed)

2) uTorrent often selects two downloading torrents at once (any number of spaces apart) when first opened, but no longer shows which ones are selected by highlighting them, causing me to accidentally delete something extra I didn't want to lose while deleting the one I selected. (Unsuccessful/not fixed)

3) BitDefender Total Security 2016 was blocking tons of legit programs from running after I did a scan with maxed-out heuristic algorithms (even after changing back to normal security levels).

The OS repair install fixed that, but now "Active Threat Control" and "Intrusion Detection" modules can't be turned on. I've truly tried every conventional means of fixing it I could find through Google, so now awaiting a response from tech support. 

Currently I'm now also running ReasonCore background protection to supplement my now-diminished security.

- One thing that just occurred to me now: I have Iolo System Mechanic Pro v.15.5.0.61. Until recently I had many of the Active Care functions running, which included the following: 

LiveBoost:

- Accelewrite (defrags system files as they write to disk)

- Opticore (dynamically balance CPU demand for best performance, depending on the task at hand)

- Power Sense (optimized power management

Active Care:
- Optimize Internet Configuration

- Optimize Hard Drive

- Repair WMI Conflicts

- Repair Registry Problems

- Repair Broken Internet Connection

- Repair Security Vulnerabilities

- Back Ip the Registry Every 14 Days

- Clean Up System Clutter

- Download and Install Updated Tune-up Definitions

After reading various tech forum discussions, it sounded like a better idea to turn off all these automated functions, which I did (5 or 6 days ago), and indeed I've noticed improved performance. 

I'm wondering if my system settings have been changed to at least partially rely on SM managing those things though. You know how sometimes deactivating mods in a game can actually screw it up, because now it's been altered to rely on those mods?

Actively-Running Security Software:

BitDefender Total Security 2016 (with firewall active; Windows firewall deactivated)

Panda USB Vaccine (just installed 3 days ago)

ReasonCore Security (explicitly-stated by the makers that it's meant to be run as a secondary active-protection to complement your currently-active protection). 

CleanMem Mini Monitor (dynamically displays total memory, currently-committed memory, and total memory usage in real-time; frees-up memory committed to old/closed tasks every 15 minutes, or when you double-click it. Honestly I have long loved this fantastic utility). 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Willabong

Willabong

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 25 March 2016 - 04:06 AM

Does this clicking only occur when you use headphones?

Have you tried a different usb port?

Have you only one sound source connected to your computer?

Have you checked your speakers/phones/plugs/cables for bad connections? (likely culprit).

You don't say if your PC is a Laptop or Desktop, if desktop, does your monitor/s have built in speakers (they can conflict)?

Check all your sound controls in control panel and/or in your sound card app?

Your description seems to point to a loose connection or electrical short somewhere?

Edited by Willabong, 25 March 2016 - 04:09 AM.

#3 Durzo

Durzo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 07:31 PM

Thanks for your reply Willabong. Just thought I'd mention before answering your questions: For the last year I've been unable to run Superantispyware full scan because it always crashes. Last night I rebooted and ran it in Safe Mode with Networking, checked "Scan Inside Zip Archives" for good measure and let it (successfully) run it's course. This morning I removed 850 spyware cookies (only cookies) that it found, and today I have no clicking.

Don't know if that's a plausible cause, but - while it's pretty hard to remember an event like this that you normally don't take note of - I'm pretty sure there have been "off" days in the past where it's gone away.... so who knows.

Q: Does this clicking only occur when you use headphones?

A: Yes, but I've only had headphones as a source for audio ever since my dog pulled-down & smashed my speakers over a year ago.

Q: Have you tried a different usb port?

Q: Have you only one sound source connected to your computer?

A: No USB ports entailed. My headphones are plugged into a headphone-extension cord which is plugged into the green audio jack. This the only audio device connected to my computer.

Q: Have you checked your speakers/phones/plugs/cables for bad connections? (likely culprit).

A:  Hmmm.... no, but not sure how much I could check through comparison since I have just one headphone-extension cord, and I'm not aware of any audio-output device but the green audio jack. But this information definitely helps; next time the clicking starts I'll at least try different headphones.

I'll be sure to report back if this or any other solution works.

Q: You don't say if your PC is a Laptop or Desktop, if desktop, does your monitor/s have built in speakers (they can conflict)?

A: Right, sorry: I'm on a PC - no audio capabilities from the monitor.

Q: Check all your sound controls in control panel and/or in your sound card app?

A: Not sure what configuration issues I would check for; sound cards are the one piece of hardware I've been negligent in learning about. I'm always open to learning new PC technical skills though. 

Your description seems to point to a loose connection or electrical short somewhere?

I really appreciate this information; never would have guessed this myself, but instead spent an eternity futilely fiddling with soft/firmware settings. I think I see your reasoning now, if it makes sense... the clicking is coming from OS software, but only because of repeated split-microsecond breaks & re-connections with the audio-input hardware, making the clicky connection noise each time. Is that right? 

Could this be the case without the "New Audio Device" prompt popping up?

I'm going for the Comptia A+ technician certification (with Security+ & Network Administration almost immediately thereafter), is there any good information or online resources I could look at to patch my ignorance of sound cards? My skill-sets already far exceed most of the areas you have to know, I'm just not ready to challenge the exam until I fill in my scattered knowledge-gaps. 

Does this clicking only occur when you use headphones?

Have you tried a different usb port?

Have you only one sound source connected to your computer?

Have you checked your speakers/phones/plugs/cables for bad connections? (likely culprit).

You don't say if your PC is a Laptop or Desktop, if desktop, does your monitor/s have built in speakers (they can conflict)?

Check all your sound controls in control panel and/or in your sound card app?

#4 Willabong

Willabong

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 06:42 AM

You need to run an Ad-blocker to help eliminate the cookies, depending on your browser you can use either:   https://www.google.co.uk/#q=adblock+plus 

Or

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm?hl=en

The second URL ( U Block) can only be used on Chrome based browsers, eg Chrome/Opera.

Play a song through your headphones, then tweak the cables from the PC (green plug) right up to the headphone earmuffs to see if you can stop the clicking.

Go into your sound App and switch off the record slider and Auxiliary slider to see if that stops it? 

#5 Durzo

Durzo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 06:42 PM

EDIT: Hold on! Don't close this yet. One very important thing just appeared. Going to elaborate in 2 minutes....

That's awesome, thanks. I've been using the Chromodo browser because you can't trust any of the big guys any more when it comes to spying on you, but have been totally unable to find a compatible ad-blocker for it 'till now. Day 2 and still no clicking, I suppose it may have likely been the giant cluster of spyware after all; I'm thinking it was perhaps endlessly, repeatedly trying to open pop-ups but getting blocked by my security software. 

Now that I have a good idea of what to look into even if it does it come back, I think it's safe to declare this issue "resolved". Much appreciated. 

- Jim

You need to run an Ad-blocker to help eliminate the cookies, depending on your browser you can use either:   https://www.google.co.uk/#q=adblock+plus 

Or

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm?hl=en

The second URL ( U Block) can only be used on Chrome based browsers, eg Chrome/Opera.

Play a song through your headphones, then tweak the cables from the PC (green plug) right up to the headphone earmuffs to see if you can stop the clicking.

Go into your sound App and switch off the record slider and Auxiliary slider to see if that stops it? 

Edited by Durzo, 26 March 2016 - 06:43 PM.

#6 Durzo

Durzo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 06:48 PM

Okay, so I just went into my control panel's sound settings to look at the stuff you mentioned, and I'd forgotten that every time I go there this message pops up:

Audio Enhancement Problem

Windows has detected that audio enhancements for the following device are causing problems:

Speakers (VIA HD Audio)

Would you like to disable driver enhancement for this device?

Yes       No

This has popped up every time I've opened sound controls for as long as I can remember now. Occasionally I'll lose all sound from my computer, so when I go into sound controls and this message pops up, I always click "YES" and it returns my sound to functionality. But no matter how many times I do this, the message will always reappear the next time I look into my sound settings. 

Sorry.... can't believe I forgot about that!

Edited by Durzo, 26 March 2016 - 06:49 PM.

#7 Willabong

Willabong

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2016 - 03:01 AM

If your headphones are the only output source for your sound, it may be that your sound system is looking for speakers it cannot find?

You could try removing your sound card drivers and the re-installing them?

U-Block should work with your browser, and frankly it is the best popup/spyware (certain types)/cookie blocker out there! Well worth installing!

#8 Durzo

Durzo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2016 - 08:33 PM

Sounds good, I think I can safely say I feel satisfied with an answer now and consider the issue concluded. 

Many thanks.

- Jim

If your headphones are the only output source for your sound, it may be that your sound system is looking for speakers it cannot find?

You could try removing your sound card drivers and the re-installing them?

U-Block should work with your browser, and frankly it is the best popup/spyware (certain types)/cookie blocker out there! Well worth installing!

#9 Willabong

Willabong

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2016 - 02:16 AM

Your welcome!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users