Hi all. I'm having a problem that's really driving me nuts and figured it's finally time to join you guys here; hands-down the best tech support site on the web.
I also just wanted to preface this with saying that I've had many experiences with people asking online for my help, I put a whole bunch of time and work in, then for whatever reason they no longer want my help and just disappear without a word. Personally I think that's really inconsiderate; treating online helpers like an automated database without a simple "thanks, but I'm done", so just want to assure you I won't & don't do that.
My computer is getting worse and worse with making these clicking noises from my headphones as though I'm opening a link, spaced frequently but at totally random intervals; probably averaging 4-6 clicks every 10 seconds. I finally just gave up on watching any videos as it's too irritating to enjoy anything.
This issue has gone on for at least a month... probably longer, but I have no idea how much since I didn't really take note until it became such a constant issue.
I came across this exact same topic on another thread here, but it was left unresolved:
So you know and I can spare you the effort of writing it all, I downloaded all the freeware utilities linked there and read everything on the page, noting all the instructions (I have a very good memory). The utilities I DL'd from there include the following (I've never used them before though):
- Download DDS
- I also already have Emsisoft's variant of HijackThis.
Potentially-Relevant Facts About My System:
- 3 days ago I did a successful OS repair install ("Reset this PC" option - opting to keep files & apps/programs) to smooth-out system functionality and fix these issues (in case they're related):
1) Runtime errors (Successfully Fixed)
2) uTorrent often selects two downloading torrents at once (any number of spaces apart) when first opened, but no longer shows which ones are selected by highlighting them, causing me to accidentally delete something extra I didn't want to lose while deleting the one I selected. (Unsuccessful/not fixed)
3) BitDefender Total Security 2016 was blocking tons of legit programs from running after I did a scan with maxed-out heuristic algorithms (even after changing back to normal security levels).
The OS repair install fixed that, but now "Active Threat Control" and "Intrusion Detection" modules can't be turned on. I've truly tried every conventional means of fixing it I could find through Google, so now awaiting a response from tech support.
Currently I'm now also running ReasonCore background protection to supplement my now-diminished security.
- One thing that just occurred to me now: I have Iolo System Mechanic Pro v.184.108.40.206. Until recently I had many of the Active Care functions running, which included the following:
- Accelewrite (defrags system files as they write to disk)
- Opticore (dynamically balance CPU demand for best performance, depending on the task at hand)
- Power Sense (optimized power management
- Optimize Internet Configuration
- Optimize Hard Drive
- Repair WMI Conflicts
- Repair Registry Problems
- Repair Broken Internet Connection
- Repair Security Vulnerabilities
- Back Ip the Registry Every 14 Days
- Clean Up System Clutter
- Download and Install Updated Tune-up Definitions
After reading various tech forum discussions, it sounded like a better idea to turn off all these automated functions, which I did (5 or 6 days ago), and indeed I've noticed improved performance.
I'm wondering if my system settings have been changed to at least partially rely on SM managing those things though. You know how sometimes deactivating mods in a game can actually screw it up, because now it's been altered to rely on those mods?
Actively-Running Security Software:
BitDefender Total Security 2016 (with firewall active; Windows firewall deactivated)
Panda USB Vaccine (just installed 3 days ago)
ReasonCore Security (explicitly-stated by the makers that it's meant to be run as a secondary active-protection to complement your currently-active protection).
CleanMem Mini Monitor (dynamically displays total memory, currently-committed memory, and total memory usage in real-time; frees-up memory committed to old/closed tasks every 15 minutes, or when you double-click it. Honestly I have long loved this fantastic utility).