Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Flash Drive Reading As Write Protected

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 carnivalofsorts

carnivalofsorts

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 24 March 2016 - 04:07 PM

Hi Guys, 

I have a 32GB flash drive that i have been using for quite some time. 

Recently, I tried to copy an entire TV series to it, but while the files are transferring fine, it gets to a certain point where it says the action was interrupted and that the disc is write protected - that i should remove the write protection or use another disc. 

The USB drive does not feature a manual write protection switch on the external casing. 

Neither the USB drive NOR any of the files I am trying to transfer to it are listed as read-only in their respective properties. 

I have tried editing the value in the registry for this error - however the value did not exist in the Windows 10 registry, and even when adding it as a new value, it was not successful. 

I have also tried using the DISKPART functionality in the DOS prompt which advised that the write protection had been successfully cleared, but again to no avail. 

I have tried formatting the drive completely several times and still no success. 

I find it odd that this error only started all of a sudden the other day - the flash drive in question has been used regularly to move files between a laptop, an Android tablet and a PS3 and has never shown any errors that i can think would have caused this. 

As usual, your advice would be very much appreciated. 

R

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 10 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal
If there really was a god, then why is my ass the perfect height for kicking ???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,650 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2016 - 04:19 PM

Is it a Sandisk? If Sandisk detects any kind of write fault the drive becomes write protected. If under warranty contact Sandisk and they will replace it. Edit: Write protection is done in firmware and you cannot fix it.

Another possibility is the drive having a fake capacity. Once the real capacity is reached the drive fails and becomes write protected. This usually happens on cheap drives bought on Ebay.

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 March 2016 - 04:20 PM.

#3 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 25 March 2016 - 01:07 PM

"Edit: Moved topic from Windows 10 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal "

Hmmm, I wonder which more appropriate forum that could be.  I'd love to know.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 25 March 2016 - 08:54 PM

Make sure to clear all partitions by typing Clean all diskpart command and reformat the USB flash drive.

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#5 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 26 March 2016 - 11:52 AM

How much data were you trying to copy?  Maybe you should just buy a new flash drive with more capacity.  You can buy 64 GB ones for $14 and 128 GB ones for $28.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#6 carnivalofsorts

carnivalofsorts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 04:30 PM

Hi Guys, 

just wondering if there's any more light can be shed on this ....

I've just noticed a similar problem with an SD card I've been using in an android phone and tablet. i've formatted the card, and used it in the SD card slot on my laptop, and now, when I try to transfer files to it, I'm getting the same result - that the card is write-protected. 

I have one other USB flash drive and of all my removable media this is the only one that wasnt used in either an android phone or android tablet 

I find myself wondering ... is there some possibility that media once used in an android device, and then returned to be used on a windows 10 device has somehow been altered ?

Perhaps this is a bit of a simplistic way to view it, but im really at a loss how suddenly for no apparent reason both a flash drive and an SD card are showing similar symptoms ?

While i appreciate removable media is cheap as chips, and i've entirely no problem buying new ones - it still doesnt explain the problem or what caused it or indeed how I might avoid it happening again. 

If there really was a god, then why is my ass the perfect height for kicking ???

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,650 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 05:05 PM

See if using fix 1 on this page works to disable write protection. 

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/the-disk-is-write-protected-windows

#8 carnivalofsorts

carnivalofsorts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 03:44 PM

See if using fix 1 on this page works to disable write protection. 

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/the-disk-is-write-protected-windows

John , 

Appreciate the reply -  I had come accross this solution already i'm afraid, but to no avail. in fact the registry entry doesnt exist in windows ten to match this solution so im afraid i'm still at a loss .....

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,650 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 04:42 PM

The flash drive and SD card are also read only when attached to other comptuers? If they are then the registry fix even if available on Windows 10 would not work. 

I would try running chkdsk on the flash drive but back up the data first.

Have you tried using a live linux disk to delete or wipe the flash drive and then reformat. Partition Wizard Bootable is linux based. Create a bootable disk and see if you can wipe the flash drive then create a new partition and format. You may want to try Delete All Partitions first before doing a wipe. If you can delete the partitions then forget the wipe. 

What is the files system of the flash drive and SD card?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users