Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cultural Differences

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone

• Members
  • 308 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 24 March 2016 - 03:59 PM

We have really everything in common with America nowadays except, of course, language. Oscar Wilde, The Canterville Ghost, 1882

"Blowing snow" seems to have a different meaning in the United States, than it does  in Canada.

Does anyone else have any "cultural differences," real or perceived, that they may want to share?

Cheers!

Naught.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 25 March 2016 - 05:31 PM

USA elevator vs. UK lift

USA drugstore employee vs. UK chemist

USA TV vs. UK Telly

So many others!

#3 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 308 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 12:56 PM

USA elevator vs. UK lift

USA drugstore employee vs. UK chemist

USA TV vs. UK Telly

So many others!

Softeyes,

Yes, there are so many words or expressions that mean the same thing.

But I think that cultural differences go much deeper than that.  Saying the same expression means different things, depending on where you are from.

For instance, I think we can all agree that the ideal temperature for chilled beer is 4 degrees.

But a Canadian is thinking 4 Celsius, and an American is thinking 4 Fahrenheit, and of course our Australian cousins are thinking 4 Kelvin. :scratchhead: 

Tuppence,

Naught.

#4 66Batmobile

66Batmobile

• Members
  • 359 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 26 March 2016 - 02:10 PM

For instance, I think we can all agree that the ideal temperature for chilled beer is 4 degrees.

But a Canadian is thinking 4 Celsius, and an American is thinking 4 Fahrenheit, and of course our Australian cousins are thinking 4 Kelvin. :scratchhead:

In Fahrenheit-land, that would actually be a beer-cicle.  And yes, it has definitely been done :wink:.

Cultural differences? Just within the U.S. take the concept of "critters"...

In more urban areas, "critters" generally require a call to some sort of pest control company.

In, shall we say, more "rural" settings, you see signs for "Critter Cookouts."

edited-Please note the above was intended in fun

Edited by 66Batmobile, 26 March 2016 - 02:41 PM.

Whatever it was...I didn't do it!

#5 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 05:15 PM

@Batmobile 4°K is even worse you know :P only 4° above absolute 0
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 26 March 2016 - 06:54 PM

""and of course our Australian cousins are thinking 4 Kelvin ""

Mate......i like my beer cold.....but 4 kelvin ?...really...??!!

Tell the vast majority of aussies the temp today is 4 kelvin (-260C), and they would immediately assume you have had your head stuck in the beer fridge for a prolonged period of time..... :hysterical:

My wife is Filipino, and despite being well educated and a quick thinker, still struggles (at times) with the weird and wonderful mangling/butchering of the english language/phraseology carried out by australians, as part of their cultural difference from the Brits & Yanks etc

Something as simple as " how about you come over and we'll throw a bit of dead animal on the barbie and wash it down with a gallon of koolaid " will bring a look of pure astonishment/bewilderment to her face...

("would you like to come to our house and we will cook some meat on the barbeque, and drink some beer etc )

On a more serious note.....possibly the most obvious difference is in our attitude toward each other. In her culture the man is the king of the household. He does not need to 'do battle' to establish that position.....nor does he need to be arrogant to maintain that position. He need only be a normal peaceful 'in control of the household and its business' individual, and all will be peaceful. If he allows the organisation to slip and allows day to day things to just slip by the wayside....then he will subject to most gentle reminders that I have ever encountered.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#7 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 308 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2016 - 10:41 AM

" how about you come over and we'll throw a bit of dead animal on the barbie and wash it down with a gallon of koolaid "

My apologies to our Aussie cousins, for the little craic.   :wink:  And yes, my cousin, who lives in Brisbane, does like his beer near the freezing mark.  I keep mine on the cellar floor, which is fine by me.

Cultural differences are not limited to different nationalities.  Here's a phrase I first heard in Calgary, Alberta, as spoken by a "Down Homer" from Heart's Content, Newfoundland. (Both in Canada!)

"Stay where you be, until I come where your at."

Loosely translated:  Wait there, I'll coming to meet you.

Cheers!

Naught

#8 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 02:37 AM

Me wife has one. Elaine referred to how in Oz, if you invite someone to a barbecue or dinner and they ask "Can we bring anything?" we say "Just bring a plate" (with food on it, a dish, so to speak). A Sri Lankan couple she knew were scratching their heads wondering why in a country as well-off as Australia, they might need to bring an empty plate. Poor possums might have thought we engage in plate-smashing after the meal, like the Greeks? (there are more Greeks in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia than the population of Athens, Greece), lol.

My contribution is Japanese-based. Love most things Japanese - studied the language in high school, then a further 3 years in University. Only had a one-night stopover so far, on way to England, 1988. Love the food, how could you not love sushi?

The Japanese tea ceremony can take up to eight (8) hours to complete. I am a coffee drinker, but my wife would be saying "Where's me flamin' cuppa tea?? I've got to go out for a fag (cigarette)".

Lol.

:wizardball: Wizard - nice topic, Naught :thumbup2:, )

BTW - been brewing me own beer for 21 years plus, nice drop - it's fridged in the garage at 4 degrees - you guess)

Edited - added BTW

Edited by wizardfromoz, 29 March 2016 - 02:40 AM.

#9 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 03:15 AM

beckham_cross_3501102b.jpg

Football

111015_lb_football-linemen_free.jpg

Real football

#10 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 04:00 AM

Courtesy-Daily-Telegraph1.jpg

Realer football - Aussie Rules, based on Gaelic football

#11 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 08:47 PM

hqdefault.jpg

Gaelic, heh heh.

#12 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 308 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2016 - 11:48 AM

Gaelic, heh heh.

JWebb,

When you say Gaelic, do you mean Irish, Scots, Manx, Welsh, Cornish, Pict, or Galli, the original language from Iberia?   :scratchhead:

Does anyone speak Pict or Galli any more?  :unsure:

Cheers!

Naught

#13 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2016 - 04:12 PM

Does anyone speak Pict or Galli any more?  :unsure:

Cheers!

Naught

The closest thing I know of regarding Pict, is Roger Waters rendition of Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict. :)

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#14 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2016 - 09:21 PM

Good comeback Animal, you should contribute at Prog Rock, lots of Floydians there, lol.

@Naught:

When you say Gaelic, do you mean Irish, Scots, Manx, Welsh, Cornish, Pict, or Galli, the original language from Iberia?

Between them they invented two wonderful types of whisky, golf, and Harry Secombe. Can't knock the Gaels.

And all but the Picts and the speakers of Galli were exported to Australia as convicts to enhance our, spirited, population.

:wizardball: Wizard

#15 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 12:03 AM

Excuse me, WFO.  Weren't you the one who brought up Gaelic?

I just made a simple Beavis and Butthead joke about it.

Someday you and McNoone will be able to view BB in your countries and you will understand its subtle wit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users