Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Beep Beep Beep

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 chowery2085

chowery2085

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 24 March 2016 - 02:09 PM

I currently have a Lenovo X230i Laptop, running Windows 7.  Recently the computer started doing something very odd.  When I go to turn on the computer, I get power, but no screen, and then I hear a series of beeps 1-3-3-1 (which I looked up on Lenovo's website and they say it's either the Motherboard, or faulty memory).  If I do nothing, the computer will just sit there running with no screen, and that's about as far as it gets.  So I checked all the connections, even swapped out the memory with no luck.  So finally I disconnected the laptop battery, and the CMOS battery, waited about 5 minutes connected everything, and presto the computer works again, screen starts, boots to the Windows OS, no problems.  After the successful start up, I turn the computer off.  When I attempt to start the computer again, the same problem reoccurs, no screen, and the same series of beeps, but if I disconnect the laptop battery, and the internal CMOS battery, it will startup again, but once I shut it down and try to restart, the same problem keeps happening over and over.  If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I'm ready to believe.  Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 24 March 2016 - 03:46 PM

It sounds like a hardware problem to me, especially with the info you got from Lenovo.  I'd run system and memory diagnostics and see what they say.  Before doing anything else though I'd be SURE to make at least one full system backup to an external hard drive.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 24 March 2016 - 05:57 PM

I would find the panel on the underside of the motherboard where the memory is located, remove it. Most laptops (not all) have 2 memory modules, remove one, and boot again, if same results, remove the one that you left and replace it with the one you took out. do for both slots. If it boots with only one of the modules, then the problem is your memory, and all you have to do is order a new module. If it does not boot doing that, chances are the problem is your motherboard since its unlikely both modules will be bad. If the computer only has one memory module, perhaps see if you can borrow one from a friends laptop, just make sure theyre the same type first. If the problem is your motherboard, well, unless its still under warranty, its probably not worth fixing, id take out the parts you can reuse (memory, hard drive, maybe the screen) and toss it and buy a new laptop. IF your really attached to it, you might be able to find a used motherboard on ebay, but they are a hassle to replace, and theres no garentee it will last long. If its under warranty, then warranty it and let the manufacturer worry about fixing it.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users