Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Via Rhine Ii Ethernet Adpt.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 flyingbowtie

flyingbowtie

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 02 August 2006 - 12:52 PM

This question will show just how much of a "newbie" I am.
The only way that I can connect to the internet is by dialup. I haven't had the computer very long but it seems slow to load web pages and the connection Icon seems to show intermittent connection. This machine is a standalone PC not on a network. But in trying to figure out what my connection speed is, I have noticed that I have an Ethernet adapter on my machine but it is disabled. Should it be disabled?
My dialup modem is a U.S.Robotics V.92 Fax Win Int. What is the max. speed that owners of this modem can expect (best guess)? Thanks for any input!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2006 - 02:22 PM

Hi flyingbowtie.
Your disabled ethernet adapter serves a different purpose and will not affect modem performance.
Line noise, outdated drivers and a dozen other things will affect dial-up speeds.
There are tweaks and extra settings that will sometimes help.
"U.S.Robotics V.92 Fax Win Int" is a general description but I'm guessing it's a pci win modem, slower then a hardware modem by nature. Anywhere from 33,600 to 52,000 would be around normal.
What speeds are you getting?
If it's a pci modem, get the part numbers off both the modem board itself and also off the chip.

#3 flyingbowtie

flyingbowtie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2006 - 04:35 PM

I'm not sure that I have the necessary skills/knowledge required for taking the computer apart..yet.
What numbers do you need? I have "Everest Home Edition" and can bring up all PCI devices there. I see a device ID and Subsystem ID....are those the numbers you want to see?
Field Value
Device Properties
Device Description US Robotics 56k Fax WinModem
Bus Type PCI
Bus / Device / Function 0 / 6 / 0
Device ID 12B9-1007
Subsystem ID 12B9-00C2
Device Class 0780 (Communications Controller)
Revision 00
Fast Back-to-Back Transactions Supported, Disabled

Device Features
66 MHz Operation Not Supported
Bus Mastering Disabled

As for the speed, the icon on my task bar shows "connected at 57.6kbps" which I doubt is accurate.
I found a site while reading the Forums here at BC called "BroadbandReports.com" and ran a speed test the results are:
dslreports.com speed test result on 2006-08-02 17:33:10 EST:
19 / 18
Your download speed : 19 kbps or 2.4 KB/sec.

Your upload speed : 18 kbps or 2.3 KB/sec.

Thanks HitSquad!

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 03 August 2006 - 05:46 AM

If it is not much trouble try jumping straight from your computer to the sevice box. It usually has a RJ-11 connection for testing purposes. For various reason inside wiring degrades can can be the cause of poor connections, Also try a different access number. Different ISP had diffferent quality of equipment.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 flyingbowtie

flyingbowtie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2006 - 10:34 AM

Hi acklan, I have no idea what you are talking about. I am very new to all of this. What is an "RJ-11 connection"?
I tried the access number thing but there is only one access number for my area. So I called my ISP on the phone and the said that they show me as "connected at 48.0kbps" which they say is "Very good". But if I am connected at 48kbps then I should be faster then I am....I have AVG Free edition and I've noticed that when I do updates for it, it is like 800bps. Thats pretty slow. And the thing is, I used to get 4.9kbps doing the same thing just a week or 2 ago. And I made no changes. That's what got me investigating. It's not spyware or malware either because I have "Spybot S&D", "AD-Aware SE", and "AVG Free", scans all come back clean.
Anyway, thanks for the input!.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2006 - 02:09 PM

RJ-11 is the standard telephone connection. You should have two on your computer. One for the service and one you can plug a telephone into. If your ISP is saying you have 48Kbps you indeed have a good dial-up connection. You may have another program chewing up some of your bandwidth. What programs are you running? On a dial-up I would turn automatic updates off. If you have programs automatically updating they could be using most of you bandwidth and you may know know it, greatly reduce you ability to use the internet for other things. To discover what programs are accessing the internet I would install a firewall program. This will not only allow you to take control but it also will let you know if malware tries to access the internet.

Zone Alarm Free for Personal Use
SyGate 5.5 Free Personal Edition (I personally use)
OutPost Firewall Free
Kerio Free Personal Firewall

#7 flyingbowtie

flyingbowtie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2006 - 11:29 PM

Okay I'll download a Firewall program, I am using the WinXP Firewall but I've heard that it is "barely adequate". Thanks for the advice acklan! I'll post the results if I get it figured out!

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2006 - 11:50 PM

Be sure and disable the XP firewall. It will casue conflicts if you run two firewall or antivirus programs at the same time.

Good luck.

#9 flyingbowtie

flyingbowtie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 10:53 PM

Update.
I installed Zone Alarm Free, that was easy enough. But after about an hour of being connected to the internet I have about 25 alerts in the log and of those, only 1 is "outgoing" and was blocked. But I don't really know what it was, the log says "svchost.exe" was the program that was trying to access the net. Whatever that means :thumbsup:
I have made changes with the modem, I enabled "modem compression" and "flow control" and it seems to be alittle better. I don't know why they wasn't enabled already.
Thanks again acklan!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users