Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ndisuio.sys missing digital signature

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 atwitsendmike

atwitsendmike

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 24 March 2016 - 01:51 PM

Windows 10 Pro x64

A family member gave me her laptop a week ago to figure out why she can no longer connect to the internet via a wifi connection.  I quickly determined that the WLAN Auto Config service was not running due to the NDIS Usermode I/O Protocol service not starting.  The Windows event log provides the following error notification:

Error 7000, Service Control Manager
The Ndisuio service failed to start due to the following error: 
Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source.

If I use the Advanced startup settings and disable driver signature enforcement, then the driver loads and the wifi works as expected.  So, the real question is, how do I fix the unsigned driver?  I have already tried all of the following:

• Attempted to copy the certificate for this file from another Win 10 system -- it was not entirely clear how to find the certificate that is for this file, but I did copy ones that looked likely.  It is still possible that I did not get the right one... how do I find it?
  • sfc /scannow -- indicates that there are errors, but it is unable to resolve
  • dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth -- also completes with error
  • bcdedit commands to disable driver integrity and turn on TestSigning -- driver still fails to load
  • Various changes to Group Policy (gpedit.msc) -- driver still fails to load

I then got desperate and tried System Reset, which left me unable to boot at all.  I have restored the image I made right before that.

So, how do I get the ndisuio.sys file to be properly digitally signed?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2016 - 05:07 PM

Have you tried looking for the file?  Is it in C:\Windows\System32\drivers?

Have you searched the registry to see if the service is set to start automatically?  (backup the registry before trying this).

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Ndisuio
I believe that a 4 in the Start key is "Disabled"

3 is what my system says

2 is (again, I believe) Automatic

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 atwitsendmike

atwitsendmike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2016 - 05:58 PM

Thanks for your quick reply.

I have already compared the registry entries in that key with another Win 10 system, and all is the same.  The event log indicates that the service is attempting to start, but fails the digital signature check.

I have also run sigcheck on this file (c:\windows\system32\drivers\ndisuio.sys) and it too indicates that the file is unsigned.

The root of the problem still seems to be the missing digital signature.

#4 atwitsendmike

atwitsendmike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:42 PM

SOLVED!

I spent a lot of time using certmgr.msc attempting to find the digital certificate for ndisuio.sys to no avail.  I finally decided to copy c:\windows\system32\catroot\*.cat from the working system.  After doing so, sigcheck now indicates that ndisuio.sys IS signed.  The WLAN service (NDIS Usermode I/O Protocol is a dependency) starts, and the wifi works.

I still don't fully understand the relationship between the digitally signed files, the certificates listed in certmgr.msc, and the *.cat files, but that will have to wait I guess.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 04:59 AM

"Nothing succeeds like success!"

Congratulations on finding the fix - and thanks for letting us know!

It'll help others who come looking for help with similar problems.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users