Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help in making a second HDD bootable

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 AZBeagle

AZBeagle

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 24 March 2016 - 01:41 PM

I recently bought a new home built PC with a 1TB Seagate HDD installed and working (Windows 7).  I had removed the Samsung HDD from my old PC (Windows 10) with the intent of using it as a second hard drive in my new one.  The first thing I did was to format the Seagate, then I cloned the Samsung to the Seagate.  So now I have 2 identical drives, both with Windows 10.  My problem is that I cannot boot from the Seagate drive, which is the one I want to be my primary drive since it it brand new and faster than the Samsung drive.  In the BIOS (Asus) I can see the 2 HDDs.  The SATA 1 connector is plugged into the Seagate drive.  The SATA 2 connector is plugged into the Samsung drive.  The SATA 3 connector goes to the DVD drive.  I can read and write data to the Seagate.  However, in the BIOS it does not list the Seagate as an option in the Boot Order.  I only see the Samsung drive, the DVD drive, and an External Toshiba USB drive that does not have an OS installed.  So I need to find out why the Seagate is not bootable.  I'm guessing I wiped something out either when I formatted the drive or cloned the Samsung to the Seagate.  What do I need to do?  The Seagate has a single NTFS partition.  Thanks very much in advance for the assistance.

Edited by AZBeagle, 24 March 2016 - 03:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 24 March 2016 - 03:48 PM

Download EasyBCD and run it.  You can use that to change boot defaults assuming the cloning program you used actually copied the boot files.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 24 March 2016 - 03:58 PM

What do I need to do?

You cannot clone an operating system that was installed on another computer and expect it to work.  In other words, Window 10 was installed on the Samsung computer for the Samsung computer.  Not only does the operating system contain all the drivers for the Samsung computer, it was also activated for the Samsung computer.  That is why you can't boot a disk (or its clone) that was taken from another computer.

What you have to do is now obvious - install (not clone) Windows 10 on the Seagate drive while it is installed in your home-built PC.

Edited by Agouti, 24 March 2016 - 03:59 PM.

#4 AZBeagle

AZBeagle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2016 - 04:45 PM

I'm not sure I understand.  My old Samsung drive with Windows 10 runs just fine on the new PC.  I just want to use the Seagate drive as my boot drive since it is a better/newer drive, which is why I cloned the Samsung to the Seagate.  If the Samsung runs fine in the new PC it seems that the Seagate should run fine in the new PC.  The Windows 10 OS on the Samsung drive was a Windows 7 upgrade, so I don't have an actual physical Windows 10 disk.  I only have the recovery/repair disk I created after upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on the old PC.  Can I use that disk to Reset Windows 10 on the Seagate drive?  If I do that do I first have to disconnect the Samsung drive?  I downloaded EasyBCD as suggested and was able to add a second OS.  When I tried to boot to that OS my monitor kept turning on and off, and the icons would come and go, so there is apparently something wrong on the cloned Seagate disk.  Is there any way to fix that?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2016 - 05:37 PM

Run the long diagnostic test on the Seagate drive.  Do not run any of the other tests which may be available within SeaTools for Windows.

SeaTools For Windows, dc3 - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/595453/restart-your-computer-to-install-windows-updates/?p=3857682

This system actually has a BIOS and is not UEFI?  What is the specific system model?

Louis

#6 AZBeagle

AZBeagle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2016 - 06:11 PM

I'll try the SeaTools as requested.  Regarding your question, there is no specific model as it was a custom build.  here are the specs of the PC.  The system is UEFI.

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
  • Antivirus Software
    Avast
  • Firewall
    Windows Firewall
  • Computer
    Custom
  • CPU
    AMD A10 7850K
  • Motherboard
    Asus A68HM-K
  • Ram
    8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 797MHz
  • Storage
    1TB Seagate ST1000DM003-1SB10C (SATA), 300GB SAMSUNG HD321KJ (SATA), External 1TB TOSHIBA USB 3.0 USB Device (USB (SATA))
  • Video Card
    1024MB ATI AMD Radeon R7 Graphics
  • Soundcard
    Realtek High Definition Audio
  • Power Supply
    480W
  • Case
    Logisys CS-301

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,986 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2016 - 07:04 PM

At a command prompt type

diskpart

At the diskpart prompt type

list disk

Is there a asterisk under GPT for both disks? It would help if you posted a screenshot of Disk Management.

#8 AZBeagle

AZBeagle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:32 PM

Actually, there's no asterisk for either disk. I've attached Snips of the SeaTools Log, the Disk Management Screen, and the Diskpart results.  Please let me know what I need to do next.

Attached Files

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,986 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2016 - 09:00 PM

What is interesting is neither disk is GPT. GPT is required to boot from a UEFI computer unless the UEFI is set to legacy or CSM boot.

Disk 0 will never boot because no partition is active and their is no partition marked as System/Boot/ 

Also the partition structures are not normal for a MBR disk. There should be a 100MB System Partition marked as active and formatted NTFS. On a GPT disk that boots on a UEFI computer the partition structure is different than MBR. You would have an EFI partition formatted Fat32, a Microsoft System Reserved Partition, and then your Windows partition. I am not sure how you arrived at these partition structures.

It seems the clone was not a clone. If it was, Disk 0 would be identical to disk 1.

Personally, If feasible, I would back up your data and reinstall Windows 10 to the Seagate Disk with the computer set to UEFI and not legacy. Check your motherboard manual on how to set it to UEFI mode. You can get use the Media Creation Tool for Windows 10 to create bootable install media. 

Here is a clean install guide for Windows 8.1. Windows 10 will be the same. When you get to the window asking for a key click next without entering anything.

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 March 2016 - 09:07 PM.

#10 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 02:29 PM

I downloaded EasyBCD as suggested and was able to add a second OS.  When I tried to boot to that OS my monitor kept turning on and off, and the icons would come and go, so there is apparently something wrong on the cloned Seagate disk.  Is there any way to fix that?

What I do in a case like yours is to first back up the source drive to an external hard drive, then restore from that backup to the new target drive.  I use Easeus Todo Backup Free which is free for home use.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#11 AZBeagle

AZBeagle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 03:06 PM

I already use EaseUS Todo.  Should I do a Disk/Partition Backup or a System Backup.  The backup I currently have is a System Backup.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,986 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 03:54 PM

You need to do a complete disk backup of the bootable Windows 10 disk, not just a System Backup. You do not need to format the Seagate beforehand. When your restore the disk image the drive is automatically formatted to what the original disk image was.

Personally, I would not bother doing the disk image to the Seagate. I would do a compete clean reinstall using the Windows 10 media creation tool with the computer set to UEFI mode. 

#13 AZBeagle

AZBeagle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 05:28 PM

It took awhile, and required the hands on help from a knowledgeable friend, but we managed to perform the necessary formatting and partitioning to achieve what I wanted.  Thanks for all the help!

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,986 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 05:34 PM

Thanks for the update. Did you stick with a MBR disk or use GPT with UEFI? 

#15 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 06:20 PM

Microsoft made it so simple if you just have the install disk or the MFGRs backup disk(s) for the OS installed.  Without the matching product code on the disk and the installed OS, you are out of luck.  Legally.  Many bootleg sites have full copies but even then, when the OS is installed, it characterizes itself for that machine with that MOBO, that video, ETC.  Moving that drive once the OS is installed to another machine will not successfully boot without that matching install disk so a repair can find the matches and install everything to match the new (different) hardware.  Cloning, copying, whatever method you try, without the OS disk to write MBR  (master boot record) it will not boot.  Backups will not work as a go-around either. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users