How to Post a Topic Asking for Help With Ransomware
Hello and welcome to the Bleeping Computer Ransomware Tech Support and Help forum.
If you are reading this article, then you are most likely looking for support with a ransomware infection on your or someone else's computer. Please follow these steps in order to provide information that we can use to identify the specific ransomware. For us to try and help you, the more information you provide the better.
- Please do not delete any files dropped by the ransomware. Removing these files will make it harder for us to identify what ransomware you have been hit with and we may not be able to help. If your antivirus has found an infection, please mention that in your topic.
- Waiting for a reply does not guarantee that you will get a reply, as all members are volunteers and we may miss some topics.
- Not every variant of ransomware is decryptable and if there is no other information about the ransomware then we may not be able to help other than providing information.
Before you perform the steps below, it is suggested that you first check to see if there is already a support topic for infection here:
List of help topics for ransomware infections
Also, please upload the ransom note and one encrypted file to this website. It will identify the ransomware you were hit with, if it is known:
If there is one topic which fits the ransomware which you were hit with, please post there first. If you cannot find a topic for your specific ransomware then continue with the steps below.
- Enable topic reply notification by default.
In order to be notified via email when your topic has a reply you need to enable topic notifications. To enable topic notifications you should do the following:
- Click on this My Settings Link.
- Click on Notification Options.
- Put a checkmark in the checkbox labeled Watch every topic I reply to.
- Set the If enabled, choose default notification type menu option to Immediate Notification to have an email sent immediately when someone replies.
- Then scroll down a little bit and under Topics & Posts make sure that the Email checkbox is checked for the Notification method to use for topic replies and reply digests option.
- Click on the Save Changes button.
- Create a new ransomware help topic
Now click on the following link to open a new browser windows where you will create a new topic in the Ransomware Tech Support and Help forum:
Post a new ransomware help topic
In the new browser window you will see a screen that asks you to fill in various information:
For the Topic Title please enter a description of your problem containing the extension the ransomware added, the files the ransomware drops or a picture of the changed desktop picture (if relevant). For example; if the ransomware changes the extension of files to .vvv or drops HELP_DECRYPT.txt to the desktop then put that in your title. We have found that those people who enter in specific and detailed info about the ransomware infection tend to receive the appropriate help quicker.
The next part that you must fill out is the actual message of the post. The more you can tell us about a problem, the better and easier it will be to help you. In other words, "Help, my files are encrypted" will only result in the helper having to asking you questions to guess which ransomware encrypted your files. Instead in your first post, tell us as much as you can. For example, if you know what file caused the infection, or if a suspicious file is running, please mention that in your message.
Now that all the information has been entered into the post, scroll down and click on the Post New Topic button to actually post your new topic to the forums.
- What to expect now that you have created your topic.
Now that your topic is posted, you should be patient and wait for someone to look at your topic in order to advise as to what you should do. Everyone who works on this site is a volunteer, and not everyone is familiar with ransomware topics, or may be looking for the same advice as you. Please be patient, we will try to reply to every topic asking for help, but sometimes it may take a couple of days to get a reply. As mentioned above, we may not be able to help.
Edited by xXToffeeXx, 13 July 2016 - 03:18 PM.
Added ID ransomware website step~