Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Automatic update caused "your start menu isn't working"

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 pjharren

pjharren

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 24 March 2016 - 09:23 AM

Yesterday morning after booting my computer, I experience the "your start menu isn't working" bug.  I contacted Microsoft support and they still do not have a fix for this well-known failure. I checked my Update History and saw that an automatic update had been installed. Restoring from my last restore point resolved the problem.  The culprit was "Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3140741)". 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 24 March 2016 - 04:52 PM

Thanks!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 24 March 2016 - 05:25 PM

In the application log within "Event viewer", Did you get an error (red icon) event 1542 from "User Profile Service" on the reboot just before the start menu died? The text of the event is "Windows cannot load classes registry file. DETAIL - Access is denied."

I do not think that the update is the issue - I think it is coincidence.

I have been doing quite a bit of research on this issue, and think I've got further than anyone else's whose research I've seen, (and only one other has got close). Of course there could be multiple causes of "Your start menu isn't working". My research is centred around that error when the 1542 event mentioned above is logged on each reboot where the Start menu fails. The standard Microsoft fix is to recreate the user account - that works but is highly inconvenient (I've been hit three times in four weeks). The first time, I recreated my profile (which took several hours to get back to where I wanted it). I suspect that your restore point must have reverted the user registry hive in your profile as well.

I traced the issue far back enough to realise that the recovery was really to repair the affected users' Windows profile. More exactly a corrupted registry hive. I figured out what to repair, but unfortunately that turned out to be too complex a fix to post on the Microsoft forum that I broke my research on (which incidentally is still ignored by the Microsoft staff there). My feeling is that releasing the exact details of the fix would be practically impossible to do click-by-click, and would encourage non-technical users to dabble in things that would likely break their system totally, as the instructions could very easily be misinterpreted (*).

What I have not traced yet, is the exact place that the user profile IS being corrupted, and the cause for that corruption (although I do have some suspicions).

The users profile contains parts of the Registry that are custom settings for that user. There are two main registry hives - The User registry have (I'll refer to this as the base user hive below), and the user classes registry hive (the user classes hive).

The base user hive gets loaded first (And is linked to in such a way that t becomes the HKEY_CURRENT_USER predefined key. Very shortly afterwards the user classes hive gets loaded as well. The user classes hive is then linked into a particular place in the base user hive (such that it appears as part of the HKEY_CURRENT_USER tree, a couple of levels deep within that tree). The place where it is linked should NOT be present in the base user hive before the User classes hive gets loaded and linked there.

What I found was that in an affected user profile, registry keys that should be only present when the user classes hive is linked into the base user hive, were present in the base user hive without the user classes hive being loaded. Then when the User classes hive is loading and attempting to link into its place within the base user hive, that place is occupied and the link fails, and the Access Denied error event logged.

The system then continues to limp along without the correct COM classes being present in the user's session, and things fail, the start panel amongst them. Other things limp along and even exacerbate the issue by creating more keys within the base user hive where the user classes hive should be.

What I think is happing is that there is a race condition taking advantage of the brief moment in user logon between the base user hive loading and the user classes hive being loaded (and linked into its normal place within the base hive). In that instant something (I suspect some inbuilt modern apps) tries to reference some keys from user classes hive, but it is not (yet) there, and instead some keys are created within the base user hive where the User classes hive should be. Shortly afterwards, the User classes hive tries to load but cannot as it's place is taken. My feeling is that the opportunity of the race condition needs to be resolved, or the errant processes prevented from loading until the user classes hive is successfully loaded - something that only MS can arrange.

Alternatively, something similar could be occurring when a user logs out (Between the user classes hive unloading and the base user hive unloading). In this scenario, the profile is corrupted on logout/shutdown, and the error first occurs the next logon of that user.

I've also considered a couple of other initial failure (initial corruption) modes that I consider less likely.

x64

* The reason for my caution is that my "repair" involves removing a particular registry key. Unfortunately, there are some subkeys that are difficult to remove due to permissions and several other places were similarly named keys exist (and which would totally break the system if THEY were erroneously removed). another issue is determining whether the key is present as part of the real user classes hive or erroneously in the base hive could if not done correctly cause a healthy classes hive to be deleted.)

#4 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 24 March 2016 - 05:46 PM

* The reason for my caution is that my "repair" involves removing a particular registry key. Unfortunately, there are some subkeys that are difficult to remove due to permissions and several other places were similarly named keys exist (and which would totally break the system if THEY were erroneously removed). another issue is determining whether the key is present as part of the real user classes hive or erroneously in the base hive could if not done correctly cause a healthy classes hive to be deleted.)

Presumably,you could safeguard the registry with backups and take ownership of the subkeys,non of which is actually that complicated but might be beyond basic users i guess.What a hassle...

#5 pjharren

pjharren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:02 PM

x64, I did not  get an error (red icon) event 1542.  You post was extremely interesting and I wish you the best with your study of this. You are probably correct that the occurrence of this error had nothing to do with the update. I will create a new restore point and try installing the update again.  

Thanks!

#6 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 02:35 AM

x64, I did not  get an error (red icon) event 1542. 

Were you looking in the application log of event viewer? That is were this event hides. It does not popup on the screen by itself.

Presumably,you could safeguard the registry with backups and take ownership of the subkeys,non of which is actually that complicated but might be beyond basic users i guess.What a hassle...

Absolutely.

I was having to take ownership/reset permissions on several subkeys, and what should be the lifesaver (the "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects") seems more fragile in the registry editor than the equivalent file/folder ownership grab in (newer versions of) Windows Explorer. I was having do this several times targetting particular subkeys to get rid of the whole errant tree of user com clases that quickly grows. I haven't tried other command line tools yet to get around that. The content of the errant tree would also be different for each individual user, and possibly even for different incidents occuring to the same user (depending on what has run between the issue occurring and it being detected and the repair started.

That and the possibility of mistaking the wrong com classes subtree in the registry or deleting a healthy com classes tree instead of the.. (I suppose we could call the unwanted subtree a) weed! :)

Even discounting those issues the rest of the procedure would be a bit convoluted, with too many places for potential damaging things things to be done incorrectly,and some moving targers to hit along the way.... An overview of the repair steps is.... Create a new admin account (difficult to talk a non techincal user through, whose start menu isn't working and varous other tools are not working due to the missing com entries). Grant the temp admin account rights to the affected accounts user holder/profile. Log off of affected account. Log on as temp admin, take backup copy of affected user registry hive and (although not implicated) user classes hive (by default, both are hidden from explorer due to being hidden and system files). Load the affected user's base user registry hive under HKU. Drill into the freshly loaded hive, verify the existance of and try to delete the affected key (this will likely need to need several ownership/permission grabs, that are two random to document). Then unload the temporarily mounted hive from HKU (fail to do this corectly and you end up with a temp profile instead of a repaire profile), log off as temp admin and logon as affected user and verify account works as ususal. (phew! - what a polava..).

Even after all that - all we have done is healed the corrupted registry hive this time. not prevented future re-corruption.

x64

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 04:56 AM

Interesting research.  Could you point us to your post(s) on the Microsoft forums?

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 07:46 AM

No problem.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start/windows-10-application-log-event-id-1542-no-start/babcf9c5-937a-43cd-87c0-8cb470b3bfac?page=3

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/win-10-critical-error-your-start-menu-isnt-working/4e89669d-9a26-48f3-8762-d425cb4eb7d5?page=42&auth=1 (43 pages - yuk! - I jonied the thread on page 42).

As I said in one of the posts, short of running process monitor to log all activiy across all of my logons and logoff, I'm unlikely to capture the issue happening (and the next corruption event might me 10 minutes or several weeks away). Additionally in Process monitor, the linking mechanism that makes the user classes hive appear within HKCU isn't clear (and I can't clearly identify that in procmon).

As I also partially said above in this thread, The issue could be use of the namespace where the user classes hive normally sits after the base registry hive is loaded, but before the user classes hive is linked there (ie an app lanching before the user environment is ready for it). an app running on whlist the user hives are being torn down during logoff. It coule even be a totally different issue (the link to the user classes hive breaking during a session, or a fault in the registry code writing to the base hive instread of redirecting to the user clsasses hive.

Of course now the start panel is much more complex than the old cascading menu representation of the old start meny folder trees, it is neccessarily much more fragile, and I'm also concious that ther may be other ways to break it apart fom the user classess hive failing to load.

In my three instances, I've deinitely seen the false classes key being created in ntuser.dat, and confirmed that removing that key repairs the profile. I'va also confiremed that the Classes key does not normally exist in an unloaded, fresh/uncorrupted base user hive.

By the time the issue is recognised after a logon, several proceses will have used the false classes subtree and so it is difficult to idenfify which was first (and created the false Classes key). I suspect hower that these process are simply being allowed to run roo early/too late rather than being the root cause themselves.

x64 ("x64-uk" in the MS posts)

#9 pjharren

pjharren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 08:24 AM

x64,

Sorry, I was looking in the System log, not the Application log.  Three 1542 events were logged.

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-User Profiles Service
Date:          3/23/2016 7:51:46 AM
Event ID:      1542
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      
User:          SYSTEM
Computer:      AengusOg
Description:
Windows cannot load classes registry file.
 DETAIL - Access is denied.

Event Xml:
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-User Profiles Service" Guid="{89B1E9F0-5AFF-44A6-9B44-0A07A7CE5845}" />
    <EventID>1542</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-03-23T12:51:46.816775500Z" />
    <EventRecordID>79087</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="1228" ThreadID="2808" />
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>AengusOg</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data Name="Error">Access is denied.
</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Date:          3/23/2016 7:51:47 AM
Keywords:      
Description:

Event Xml:
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-User Profiles Service" Guid="{89B1E9F0-5AFF-44A6-9B44-0A07A7CE5845}" />
    <EventID>1542</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-03-23T12:51:47.167202400Z" />
    <EventRecordID>79088</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="1228" ThreadID="2488" />
  </System>
  <EventData>
</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Date:          3/23/2016 7:51:47 AM
Keywords:      
Description:

Event Xml:
  <System>
    <EventID>1542</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-03-23T12:51:47.475400800Z" />
    <EventRecordID>79089</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="1228" ThreadID="9388" />
  </System>
  <EventData>
</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Thanks and let me know if I can provide any additional information.

#10 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 09:16 AM

That pretty much ties your indicident in with what I was seeing....

Now we just need Microsoft to recognise the issue (rather than just saying doling out the first-line res[ponse "recreate your profile"), and investigate deeply enough to indentify/fix the root cause. :deadhorse:

x64

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 05:06 AM

An observation or two.

On my system (which has never had Norton installed), I find that the .dat file extension is set to open with Norton Studio.

Luckily, I have not had a Start Menu problem.

Could the access denied error be caused by changing of permissions/attributes/ownership of the ntuser.dat (or other) file?

How about recreating the ntuser.dat file or reverting to one of the other copies in the that user's profile?

It appears to me that there may be different types of this error.  The one I see most frequently is a Start Menu Critical Error

Text is something like:  CRITICAL ERROR - Start Menu and CORTANA aren't working. W'll try to fix it the next time you sign in. SIGN OUT NOW-

A lot of solutions point at Avast as the problem - yet most of the systems that I work on don't have Avast.
Another possible cause is the DropBox app - and I'll have to check that the next time we get one of these.  Most of the systems that I work on have this installed.

Another possibility is malware - but removing malware from systems doesn't fix the error (but that could just be that the removal tools don't fix everything.

I have not messed with, nor investigated the registry issues.  Nor do I feel comfortable working with it at this level.
But I wonder if it's possible for System Restore (if a good point is available) will be able to repair this (I don't know if a System Restore will affect the ntuser.dat files).

#12 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 06:34 AM

Hi Usasma,

In this case, the access denied error is nothing to do with file/folder permissions. I very strongly consider that a vast majority of instances of this issue are down to the registry corruption that I describe in my posts.

It would be unthinkable to recreate ntuser.dat (by itself). If it ever came to that, you would recreate the users Windows profile (which would take a copy of the default user profile, which includes a fresh registry databases). Microsoft’s suggestion of recreating the user account is an easy way for them to get affected users using a new profile.

“.dat” is a very common extension. Ntuser.dat and the other .dat files that comprise the registry databases need no file association. They should only ever be accessed by the user profile service, and then only because the user profile service reaches out to them (as opposed to the file being ‘opened’ and having to link to the program that can open it through a file type association). Therefore, file associations are irrelevant here.

Also consider that most home PCs will be used by just one user account, and that account will be logged on all of the time the PC is in use. In that scenario, that user’s registry hives will be locked open all of the time and there would be no opportunity to alter permissions or ownership. In any case if permissions had been altered it would likely affect other files in the user profile and there would be other failures as well.

Regarding “Access denied”. Sometimes that error can merely mean that there was “some kind of failure” in performing the operation. In this case the error is doubly misleading as the problem is not even with the user classes hive itself. It is that the operation to load it failed (as the key where it needs to be linked exists, and the link cannot then be created with that name).

Certainly restoring the registry files from a copy would fix the issue (from a backup) – but really unless the copy is VERY recent, I’d restore the entire user profile, were that possible. Additionally, being a database, the registry files are not single files – that have associated transaction log files. Those files must be restored from the same backup at the same time. The system does not automatically keep backup files of the registry. I’m not sure which ‘other copies’ you are referring to.

It seems that a System Restore repaired the issue for pjharren (the OP of this thread). I’m not sufficiently versed in System Restore to comment on if/how system restore protects user profiles (in addition to system files and settings).

Regarding flavours of the issue – I suspect that the error message encountered would be the same for the other root causes of the issue (if indeed any other causes exist) and it is being simplified in the forum posts.

Neither Malware nor Avast are a factor on my system.

Dropbox WAS on my system, it is not set to auto start any more. I consider that the only information I’ll gain from disabling it, is that should the issue occur again we will know it is not a factor (anything else would be inconclusive). If Dropbox is implicated in any way, it would most likely a case of it being a falsely accused victim.

I still maintain that the root cause is a windows flaw that allows a normal classes key to be created within the base user registry hive. No application running in the user context should ever have that opportunity (as the real user classes hive should be loaded as the classes key all of the time that user applications are running, and nothing outside of the user context would be accessing another users’ registry hive). Hence Dropbox could not create the fake key without Windows failing first.

I’ve not totally discounted the possibility that security software might be causing the initial glitch (after which any login will have a failed start menu without that software glitching again). However, there are no common products across the reports that I’ve seen. I merely have not discounted it, because I’ve not proven anything else.

x64

#13 pjharren

pjharren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 08:32 AM

x64 you are correct that this incident was coincidental to the Windows update. I ran the update (KB3140741) and it completed successfully.

Thanks for your very informative postings.

#14 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 26 March 2016 - 12:01 PM

Wolverine 7, on 24 Mar 2016 - 10:46 PM, said:snapback.png

Absolutely.

I was having to take ownership/reset permissions on several subkeys, and what should be the lifesaver (the "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects") seems more fragile in the registry editor than the equivalent file/folder ownership grab in (newer versions of) Windows Explorer. I was having do this several times targetting particular subkeys to get rid of the whole errant tree of user com clases that quickly grows. I haven't tried other command line tools yet to get around that. The content of the errant tree would also be different for each individual user, and possibly even for different incidents occuring to the same user (depending on what has run between the issue occurring and it being detected and the repair started.

That and the possibility of mistaking the wrong com classes subtree in the registry or deleting a healthy com classes tree instead of the.. (I suppose we could call the unwanted subtree a) weed! :)

Even discounting those issues the rest of the procedure would be a bit convoluted, with too many places for potential damaging things things to be done incorrectly,and some moving targers to hit along the way.... An overview of the repair steps is.... Create a new admin account (difficult to talk a non techincal user through, whose start menu isn't working and varous other tools are not working due to the missing com entries). Grant the temp admin account rights to the affected accounts user holder/profile. Log off of affected account. Log on as temp admin, take backup copy of affected user registry hive and (although not implicated) user classes hive (by default, both are hidden from explorer due to being hidden and system files). Load the affected user's base user registry hive under HKU. Drill into the freshly loaded hive, verify the existance of and try to delete the affected key (this will likely need to need several ownership/permission grabs, that are two random to document). Then unload the temporarily mounted hive from HKU (fail to do this corectly and you end up with a temp profile instead of a repaire profile), log off as temp admin and logon as affected user and verify account works as ususal. (phew! - what a polava..).

Even after all that - all we have done is healed the corrupted registry hive this time. not prevented future re-corruption.

x64

Mmm,just looking at the Start menu issue as an example,its been going on for ages,and ive never yet seen a definitive cause,which of course theirs probably various..My answer to these kinds of issues now is to make a restore point and registry backup before doing anything at all,the Windows registry being what it is.

Ahassle,but less hassle than backtracking through a problem once you have one.

System restore will sometimes fix a corrupt User profile,sometimes not...its a funny old thing Windows..it Thrashes your Hardrive,the registry is sort of unstable over time,debugging and troubleshooting is a nightmare..updates.. :hysterical:..think ill save up for a Mac my keep my sanity :-)

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 05:00 PM

Thanks for the added discussion about the mechanisms that you suspect.
They help me to understand this a bit better - and I hope to grab an image of a bad system to mess around with in the near future.

I came in to work today and one of the techs had fixed one last night using System Restore.

Unfortunately, the customer came back and picked it up, so I didn't have a chance to look at it.

Edited by usasma, 26 March 2016 - 05:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users