Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 neelie1414

neelie1414

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 24 March 2016 - 06:58 AM

Hello
I am new to the forum  Can you please help I have been told that you can  have too much security on a laptop and adding extra security can slow down window 10

Mod Edit: Moved to General Security ~~ boopme

Edited by boopme, 24 March 2016 - 09:01 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 24 March 2016 - 07:03 AM

Could you expand on what you mean by too much security?  What security programs do you have at the moment?

#3 neelie1414

neelie1414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2016 - 07:29 AM

I have just got a new ASUS and have MacAfee for a period of time.  I had a Dell Laptop before that and put Malwarebytes on it and the laptop slowed down and then froze.  The technician said it could be because there was too much security.

#4 Stancestans

Stancestans

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:59 AM

Malwarebytes antimalware is not a replacement for your antivirus program. It is a "second opinion" antimalware scanner to compliment the protection provided by your av, i.e, to catch malware and spyware infections that may be missed by your av. In other words, Malwarebytes antimalware should run side by side with your antivirus solution without any problems. There's no such thing as too much security because there is no combination of measures that guarantees 100% security. Note however, that you should have only one antivirus program and one antimalware and antispyware program installed at any given time.

Your new ASUS computer probably came pre-installed with Windows 10, which already has an inbuilt antivirus called Windows Defender (formerly called Microsoft Security Essentials), so you do not need any other third-party antivirus program like the McAfee time-limited trial that bloats your new system. I'm sure McAfee is not the only bloatware that came bundled with your new system, and in my opinion, those bloatware negatively impact your system's performance more than a combination of antivirus & complimentary antimalware programs. You can get rid of ALL trial software that came with the system, including McAfee, but you can also keep it until its expiration.

#5 neelie1414

neelie1414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2016 - 09:16 AM

Thank you that's very helpful.

#6 Stancestans

Stancestans

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 24 March 2016 - 10:40 AM

You're welcome. Don't hesitate to seek further help. I'll be glad to assist.

#7 Smsec

Smsec

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 24 March 2016 - 10:53 AM

Scheduled scans can be the source of a computer running slowly. It depends on what other programs are running, CPU speed and amount of RAM memory you computer has. If you're experiencing any slowdowns, look at the scheduled scans in the antivirus/antimalware programs and re-schedule them so they happen when your computer isn't likely in use. I use both an antivirus and Malwarebytes but I schedule nightly systems scans to happen for the middle of the night when I'm not using it. The AV and MB scans can be scheduled to run a few hours apart so they'r not running at the same time.

#8 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2016 - 11:29 AM

If he has McAffe, it probably disabled Windows Defender. Malwarebytes still may need to be whitlisted on McAffe though for it to run without issues.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2016 - 12:28 PM

which already has an inbuilt antivirus called Windows Defender (formerly called Microsoft Security Essentials)

Just to clarify, Windows Defender is built on Microsoft Security Essentials in Windows 8+, but Microsoft Security Essentials still exists for Windows Vista and Windows 7 as a stand-alone program. Windows Defender also exists on Windows Vista and 7, but as an Antispyware/Antimalware mostly, and not an Antivirus offering real-time protection.

Can you please help I have been told that you can have too much security on a laptop and adding extra security can slow down window 10

This can be true, but it really depends on what your security setup is, what your laptop specs are, and how you use your Windows. Without these information, all we can do is take random guesses at what your current situation is and/or could be.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#10 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2016 - 05:16 PM

I have just got a new ASUS and have MacAfee for a period of time.  I had a Dell Laptop before that and put Malwarebytes on it and the laptop slowed down and then froze.  The technician said it could be because there was too much security.

Most likely you have a 90-day trial version of McAfee that Asus pre-installed on the computer.  My advice would be to start looking for a replacement well in advance before the trial ends.  For starters, it may help if you read the following...

And yes, as Stancestans said, you can use Malwarebytes in addition to an antivirus but don't substitute it for an antivirus.  You can literally get infected on the internet in minutes if you surf without an antivirus and firewall.  Maybe that is why your last laptop slowed down and froze?

If you don't know how to change your antivirus, you can ask on this forum when the time approaches.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,087 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2016 - 06:09 PM

Just like with anti-virus programs...there is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no single best anti-malware solution to supplement your existing security protection. Every security vendor's lab uses different scanning engines and different detection methods. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses and they often use a mix of technologies to detect and remove malware. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your needs.

As a general rule, using more than one anti-malware program like Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, SuperAntispyware, Emsisoft Emergency Kit, Windows Defender in Windows 7 and earlier, Zemana AntiMalware, etc. will not conflict with each other or your anti-virus if using only one of them for real-time protection and the others as stand-alone on demand scanners. In fact, doing so increases your protection coverage without causing the same kind of conflicts or affecting the stability of your system that can occur when using more than one anti-virus. Using different signature databases will aid in detection and removal of more threats when scanning your system for malware.

If using multiple anti-malware real-time resident shields together at the same time, there can be conflicts as a result of the overlap in protection. These conflicts are typical when similar applications try to compete for resources and exclusive rights to perform an action. They may identify the activity of each other as suspicious and produce alerts. In some cases they may identify the activity of each other as suspicious and produce alerts. Further, your anti-virus may detect suspicious activity while anti-malware programs are scanning (reading) files, especially if it uses a heuristic scanning engine, regardless if they are running in real-time or on demand. The anti-virus may even detect as threats, any malware removed by these programs and placed into quarantined areas. This can lead to a repetitive cycle of endless alerts or false alarms that continually warn a threat has been found if the contents of the quarantine folder are not removed before beginning a new security scan. Generally these conflicts are more of an annoyance rather than the significant conflicts which occur when running two anti-virus programs in real time.

For a more detailed explanation, please read the Note about using multiple anti-malware products in Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users