Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista asks for permission after driver update

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 devilus

devilus

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 24 March 2016 - 04:01 AM

After sound driver update (Realtek HD audio) via device manager, Vista asks for permission to run C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA\RtHDVCpl.exe -s at very startup. I never had such a problem even after several updates before. Unchecking the box in prompt window doesn't help. It won't remember my choice. Everytime I started my pc, it asked for permission to run.

So I decided to use my restore point created before updating. Any opinion about why could that be happened?

Edited by devilus, 24 March 2016 - 04:42 AM.

Self-built PC, Lian-Li PC-A70B, GA-EX38-DS5, Intel Core 2 Duo 3GHz, Leadtek 9600GT, Kingston 4GB DDR2, Enermax Galaxy 850W

Selective boot (F12):

Vista Ultimate SP2 32bit, installed 2008, Samsung HD502HJ (500GB, SATA)

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, installed 2016, Samsung 850 EVO (120GB, SSD)

Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64 bit, installed 2018, Intel 320 (120GB, SSD)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 24 March 2016 - 04:41 AM

Hi,

So I decided to use my restore point created before updating. Any opinion about why could that be happen?

It happens because of the way the driver is distributed/installed Windows recognizes that the file come from the Internet and block the execution until confirmation.

To fix that you need to copy the file RtHDVCpl.exe into the Desktop then right click the file an click Properties then on the General tab click the Unlock button.

Copy the file back to the original location and accept all prompts to replace the existing file.

Note: Normally the file can't be unlocked directly from the Program Files folder.

Edited by SleepyDude, 24 March 2016 - 04:46 AM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 devilus

devilus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2016 - 04:53 AM

Hi,

So I decided to use my restore point created before updating. Any opinion about why could that be happen?

It happens because of the way the driver is distributed/installed Windows recognizes that the file come from the Internet and block the execution until confirmation.

Why didn't Windows behave like this before? Why doesn't Windows remember my choice?

Self-built PC, Lian-Li PC-A70B, GA-EX38-DS5, Intel Core 2 Duo 3GHz, Leadtek 9600GT, Kingston 4GB DDR2, Enermax Galaxy 850W

Selective boot (F12):

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 24 March 2016 - 05:11 AM

Why didn't Windows behave like this before? Why doesn't Windows remember my choice?

Just guessing the driver have a bunch of files instead of only a setup file most likely inside a zip file? The second part is in my opinion a Windows bug!

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#5 devilus

devilus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2016 - 05:16 AM

Just guessing the driver have a bunch of files instead of only a setup file most likely inside a zip file? The second part is in my opinion a Windows bug!

Yes. It was a zip file as I always did when updating via device manager.

Thanks for your opinion.

Selective boot (F12):

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users