Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Suddenly Not Connecting to Internet

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tylerbroski

Tylerbroski

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 24 March 2016 - 12:28 AM

So to give a small background on what's going on:

A while ago, the ethernet port on my motherboard stopped working. I tried and tried to fix it, but it simply would not work, so I ended up buying a PCI ethernet card. It worked great for a long time, and I never had any problems with it. Yesterday, I unplugged my ethernet cable while my computer was still on, but when I plugged it back into the PCI card, it suddenly wouldn't reconnect. The card still has the flashing Link/Activity lights on, the router is still showing a connection, but I am not connected to the internet and I am not seeing it in my device manager. I have downloaded the drivers for it, updated the drivers for my motherboard, reset my computer multiple times, unplugged it and plugged it back into the PCI port, everything. I cannot figure out what's wrong.

I am running Windows 7, have an Asus P8Z68-V Pro motherboard, and am using a Trendnet TEG-PCITXR Ethernet card.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 24 March 2016 - 09:58 AM

Do a hard reset on your modem; many times that solves this type of problem. First, unplug the power cable to the modem first; then unplug the power cable to the router. Do not unplug the ethernet cables. Wait 10 minutes. Replug the modem first, wait until if finds your computer and settles in normally, then plug in the router. Give it a minute or two until all the lights are on normally again, they try to access the internet.

Edited by ranchhand_, 24 March 2016 - 10:02 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 Tylerbroski

Tylerbroski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2016 - 11:30 AM

That's not it, I think it has something to do with the card itself but I don't understand. All of the lights are on indicating that it should be working, I've restarted everything multiple times, hard reset everything multiple times. At this point I'm starting to think the card itself has broken, but all I did was unplug the enternet cord and I want to believe that it's more reliable than that.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2016 - 12:15 PM

If the card is not detected in Device manager then it is one of two things. A Windows problem or a Hardware Problem. You can verify this by downloading Fatdog64, a live linux disk. Burn the iso file by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image. Boot the the fatdog desktop and see if you can connect to the internet. If you can then you know there is an issue with Windows that needs solving.

Fatdog64-702.iso

If a CD is not available and you have a spare USB flash drive you can use Rufus. Make sure any data on the flash drive is backed up first. Attach the flash drive then start Rufus. Use MBR partition scheme with BIOS or UEFI. Leave all boxes as checked. Where FreeDos is in the dropdown box select iso image and browse to the Fatdog iso. Press Start. I am not sure what key on the ASUS to use at boot to select the flash drive. Possibly F8.

Edit: Before doing the above, did you try a new Ethernet cable? This probably is not the issue if your Network card is not detected in Device Manager.

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 March 2016 - 12:18 PM.

#5 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 24 March 2016 - 03:54 PM

I just had a somewhat similar experience.  I had to power off both my cable modem and router, wait a few minutes, then power both back on to get things working.  I didn't have to reboot in my case, but sometimes you do.  Windows networking has some rather un-intutive timing delays and other quirks that can drive you crazy sometimes.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users