Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Delete Partitions on My Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 PossumNZ

PossumNZ

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 23 March 2016 - 08:04 PM

Hi Everybody,

I have been trying out virtual box and running Linux distros. The computer started malfunctioning after updating a Linux distro running in virtual box needing to do a factory reset to my computer but all good now.

I plan to dual my computer with Linux and Windows 10 but when checking in Disk Management I noticed I have 6 partitions on the hard drive.

My question is could I delete the 490mb 45 mb 7.92gb partitions ready before I install a Linux distro. 

Any help much appreciated.

Attached File  Disc Partitions.PNG   112.86KB   1 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 24 March 2016 - 12:37 PM

As those are all listed as recovery partitions, you will loose whatever recovery info is on them if you delete them. Whether loosing that data is OK or not is for you to decide.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#3 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 24 March 2016 - 01:16 PM

Even if you delete those recovery partitions, you're not going to get much extra space (aout 1.5 GB), so the prudent thing would be to leave them alone.  You never know when you might need them.  Also be aware that Linux uses a different file system from Windows.  If you put Windows and Linux on the same hard drive, it will work until you need to change the file system somehow, install a new Linux distro, or something like that.  If your computer is a desktop (you didn't say), I'd install a second hard drive to put Linux on.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users