Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird Happenings in My PC

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 texaz1956

texaz1956

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 23 March 2016 - 05:33 PM

OK. Let me start with info first. I am on Windows-10 and all latest updates installed. I upgraded from W-7 the first week the upgrade was available.

I know this is going to sound absurd, but during the night some new folders showed up in my personal folder.  Folders that say My Documents, Cookies, Application Data, Local Settings, and my favorites......Net Hood and Print Hood.  There are others but I didn't think I should list all of them.  Also, in the C: drive under Users, there are two new files "All Users" and "Default Users" that were not there yesterday.  And I can not get access to any of these things that just appeared.  When I click on them, I get a popup that shows the path to my folder and says the folder is not available and access denied. And these folders have Modification dates mostly from December 2015.

So, have I gone insane, or does my PC really have gremlins?  I have recently had two incidents with the reboot loop from hell. And more recently, the screen turned blue, with the little frowny face that said "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We are just collecting some error info and will restart it for you". Underneath it said I could go online and search this error: BAD_POOL_HEADER.  I had music playing when this happened and it started humming really loud.  I was afraid I had run into another boot loop, but it started back up with no problems. 

I am very computer illiterate, so I am on the Microsoft community support quite a bit.  But, lately the answers I see on there seem to involve starting a new profile. Or when I asked about this Pool Header, and asked if someone could explain it to me in very simple language, I did have one person who offered advice how to fix it, but the instructions he gave (as in changing the info in the File Folder Option) made no sense even to me.  

So, I am here to see if anyone can offer up some explanation as to why these non accessible folders just showed up. Oh! I forgot to say, that all of these folders have small black check marks on them.  That's about it in a nut shell.   I sure could use some answers or advice where I can find them. Oh BTW, I took long videos during the boot loop thing, and a few photos during this last episode if they would help.

I thank you all  

Barbara M.  :smash: 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 23 March 2016 - 06:56 PM

Most of those things are either hidden files/folders or links (junction points) to the actual folder.

More on Junction points here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_junction_point

Normally these things are hidden, so changing the ability to view hidden files would likely make them seem to go away.

To do this, open up explorer.exe (type explorer.exe in the Run dialog).

Then click on the View menu item in the explorer window

In the Show/Hide section of the ribbon, remove the checkmark in the box next to "Hidden Items"

Then, when checking these items again, you'll see that they are no longer visible.

Hint:  If you put the checkmark back, you'll be able to see them again.

How they got "unhidden", I don't know.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 texaz1956

texaz1956
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 23 March 2016 - 07:35 PM

Thank you. I know exactly how they got unhidden. It was when I was following unstructions from the person helping me fix the Pool Header problem. Like I said, he had me changing things in the file folder options, and I thought what he was telling me wasn't right. I thought I had undone everything, but I must have missed this. Now it makes sense.

Thank you so much! :thumbup2:

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 24 March 2016 - 04:39 AM

Glad to be of help.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 24 March 2016 - 06:11 AM

You experienced a blue screen of death, BSOD. There is a section here at Bleeping Computer that is devoted to BSOD issues.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users