Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win7 won't boot after update

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Ar-Adunakhor

Ar-Adunakhor

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 23 March 2016 - 05:14 PM

Hello, It's my first time here, and with a grave subject, unfortunately.

Dual boot: Win7 Ultimate 64bit and XP Pro 32bit, both localised.

While updating, at the very last moment of setting up everything (you know, the screen with "don't turn off your pc, stage x of y, n%") info about some error popped up and text about "can not finish the updating process, reverting changes" or something like that (I don;t know the exact English text, as I'm using translated versions). Then it rebooted and the Win7 won't boot now, no screen with the OS selection, it is booting XP only. There were no such problems during/after previous updates.I've tried using the disk, but it won't find the restore points from Win7, and the repair option gives me only info about the versions not being compatible (I've got the original disk, on my PC I've got SP1 installed). Is there any way to revert Win7 to the correct restore point from XP layer? Like mangling a bit with boot files? Is anything not requiring me to reinstall the OS even possible?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 23 March 2016 - 06:16 PM

Do you have access to another Windows 7 computer? Create a System Repair Disk and then do a Startup Repair. It may take up to three attempts to do a full repair.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/681-startup-repair.html

#3 Ar-Adunakhor

Ar-Adunakhor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2016 - 06:53 PM

Do you have access to another Windows 7 computer? Create a System Repair Disk and then do a Startup Repair. It may take up to three attempts to do a full repair.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/681-startup-repair.html

I've got a notebook, but Win7 64x Professional SP1 only. Will it work with my PC's OS?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2016 - 07:46 PM

That will work. Create the System Repair Disk and try Startup Repair.

#5 Ar-Adunakhor

Ar-Adunakhor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2016 - 02:52 AM

Thanks, I'll check it out when I've got a bit of a spare time on my hands.

#6 Ar-Adunakhor

Ar-Adunakhor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2016 - 07:40 AM

BTW, when I'll use the repair disk, will it restore the OS to the default, clean state after the installation or what? Sorry for such obvious question, but I've never had to use such a thing and I'm not sure what to expect.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2016 - 07:58 AM

A System Repair Disk you create on another computer will not do a factory reset. Only the options shown in the link I posted. 

If the computer is an OEM like Dell or HP the computer will have a factory restore partition and if that is intact you can usually do a factory reset by tapping a particular key at boot. Is factory reset something you are considering? Is so, what is the make and model of the computer? Doing a factory reset would wipe out the secondary OS you installed on the computer. If the original OS was XP you would lose Windows 7 and vice versa.

If you are looking to do a factory reset you can pull the important data first. You should be able to see your Windows 7 files when booted into XP.

#8 Ar-Adunakhor

Ar-Adunakhor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:56 AM

No, factory reset in anything but the thing I'd consider, I'd like to have my OS and most of the files intact.

If I had to do something like that, I'd just do a clean install on the old Winm7 partition and hope it would not botch the XP boot files like it once did (probably my fault, as I "set" my XP HDD to "off", to, oh, irony, be safe from the risk of botching the XP boot files).

I tried as much as three times running the startup repair, but it says only that it cannot repair the problems (but it sees them). What do?

#9 Ar-Adunakhor

Ar-Adunakhor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2016 - 09:39 AM

description of the problem:

problem: 01: 6.1.7600.16385
problem: 02: 6.1.7600.16385
problem: 03: unknown
problem: 04: 23 (well, actually different numbers appear here)
problem: 05: ExternalMedia
problem: 06: 1
problem: 07: MissingBootManager
then my OS version and ID of local settings.

in the results:
Main Cause = 1

updates were clear
OS partition was clear
no damages or anything
metadata were clear

Main Cause found = no boot manager or it's damaged
problem ID: 0x5

nothing more.

EDIT: Oh, and in the command prompt that shows up during the operation it says something like "Failed to open file! Last error 0x2"

Edited by Ar-Adunakhor, 24 March 2016 - 09:42 AM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2016 - 09:39 AM

I would have to guess the Windows 7 boot configuration files became corrupted but If you try to repair them using the command prompt it's possible you would lose the XP boot option. This is a dual boot of XP and Windows 7 on the same hard drive, correct?

See this page on manually fixing the Windows 7 boot loader. If this does not solve the problem then I think you are looking at a reinstall. If you do a reinstall of Windows 7 then it is highly likely you would lose the XP boot and that would need to be repaired per the instructions in the link.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/32523/how-to-manually-repair-windows-7-boot-loader-problems/

Edit: I have seen your post. The Boot Manager is damaged. See if the steps in the above link work. If not there is another command that can copy the files from the Windows partition. In the above link you should also use the Rebuild BCD command after bootrec /fixboot.

bootrec /rebuildbcd

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 March 2016 - 09:43 AM.

#11 Ar-Adunakhor

Ar-Adunakhor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2016 - 09:44 AM

Thanks for the answer.

To clarify:

No, XP is the first system and no, it is on the another HDD. So it should stay safe, shoudn't it?

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2016 - 09:50 AM

If XP is on a separate hard drive then I am not sure how to set the Boot Manager to also boot XP after you repair Windows 7. There is a program called EasyBCD that may let you create the Boot Manager Menu to include XP on the other hard drive. In any case, I would disconnect the XP hard drive before trying the Windows 7 BCD repair. 

EasyBCD is free for home use.

If you have not opened the case before, then pull the power and hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Open the case and then touch bare metal to ground yourself. Then pull the data and power cable to the XP hard drive.

#13 Ar-Adunakhor

Ar-Adunakhor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2016 - 10:19 AM

Well, during the installation of Win7 the XP boot was botched while I distonnected the XP HDD. (Through the BIOS options). I doubt it would be any different while manually disconnecting the HDD.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2016 - 10:23 AM

Then try the BCD commands in the link I posted. If the XP menu is removed there is a command in the link to put it back into the boot configuration files. Edit: But I believe this is for dual boot OSs on the same drive. If you do lose the XP boot menu then try EasyBCD. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 March 2016 - 10:24 AM.

#15 Ar-Adunakhor

Ar-Adunakhor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2016 - 10:35 AM

Ok, I'll check it out after the Easter. I'm done for today with the PC and don't want to mess with it during the holidays.

Then I;ll mingle with this stuff and post the results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users