Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for a solution for our business

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 silicondreams

silicondreams

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 23 March 2016 - 04:39 PM

Hi Everyone,

We are a large car dealer with many departments.

We have a lot of spread-sheets that we REBUILD each week based on data extracted to excel from another system.

Today, my boss has asked me to explore options for fixing an Excel spread-sheet he is having trouble with.

IT department do not want to install anything on the network,

The boss does not want to tell me the budget.

He asks if Access is a good solution, so I check yes you can create the report in Access, can be in the cloud (no installation), abstract the data from the code in modules, not have to rebuild the reports all the time so maybe a good idea.  I go see him....

He tells me to go back and check again, I ask if I can expand my investigation to include all the other spread-sheets we have and all their code and a formulas and solutions outside what he suggests.

He says I can...

So can you please give any feedback and advice on the following platforms which may do the job which I have had familiarity with and any others with the following minimal criteria:  Easy to develop for as we have a lot of spread-sheets (rapid application dev), cost$, time to implement, training required, ability to incorporate existing data anything else that may be important able to schedule report to run at certain time, easy for users to create their own report.  Security, user controls, back up solutions, user friendliness, hardware required etc

At this stage I am platform agnostic.

MS Dynamics CRM / Sales Force / iSeries by IBM RPG/CL / VB Crystal Reports / C# / any other approaches ? Oracle etc

Any help much appreciated :)

Edited by Orange Blossom, 25 March 2016 - 09:02 AM.
Moved to Business Applications. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 24 March 2016 - 10:30 AM

Are you asking for a PC suggestion? Because to me this looks like a request for a software suggestion.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#3 Scoobee

Scoobee

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 25 March 2016 - 03:56 AM

Hi thanks for your post, I'm looking for a platform suggestion with qualifications why it would be a good solution.

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users