Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Run time error 3421 when using program that uses Access Database

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Robdiqulous

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 23 March 2016 - 03:46 PM

This may go along with the other post I started here and it may not. That is where you come in.

The company I just started working for is using a program that uses a Access Database with all of the info in it. This program was written in what I believe is Crystal language according to what I have gathered from doc types. It gives reports in .rpt format and I saw something else that said Crystal and so I looked it up and it was a language. The doc type is also a crystal report doc type apparently. 

This program accesses the database and brings up model numbers and info about it. Now, normally we can put in these 3 fields needed and hit add to batch, then print batch and it will print. Something happened where now if we do it, once we hit print I get,

"Runtime error 3421- Data Type Conversion Error"

Apparently before the error this time, they would enter a letter or something instead of a number and it would give an error message. It would still show up in the access report though. Then my boss would go into the database and delete the bad entries and apparently it would work again. 

Now we are having an issue where we get this error no matter what. They put in the same 3 fields as numbers and this error pops up. I cannot figure out why it is doing this and the program is basically useless right now. These entries are not showing up in the database either. We deleted all of the old entries that were made into the database and nothing is working.

If you have any ideas I would love to try them. From what I was looking at online it looked like if it was some code written wrong then it would spit this error out when the wrong data type was entered such as a letter where a number should go. I don't know hardly any programming so it is foreign to me.

The other thread I wrote about was that when I go to open Access I get a error saying that a mail.ocx is missing. I believe this started happening near the same time but I am not too sure as I just started working here about a week ago. Could that have something to do with it? I could not find hardly ANYTHING about mail.ocx. Not even what it is for.

Thank you for your time on this long post. I appreciate any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Robdiqulous

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 28 March 2016 - 10:02 AM

WELL I FIXED IT! It was indeed an issue where an extra letter not a number got typed into a quantity field. Instead of being "6" it was "6B". I deleted the B and everything started working. I can't believe it was that easy. The reason I didn't catch it earlier was because it was in a completely different file than the one it uses to pull the information from. Apparently my boss didn't know that or whatever I am not sure. The program was open and so the access file was locked but I saw another access file was also locked. So I decided to see what that file was and I noticed the lookups in a table that we were trying to do every time we got an error. I then noticed the "6B" pretty fast and thought, no way it could have been this easy. But of course it was. Like it always is. He just told me that he used the other file. Well now I know!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users