Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MIG files

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 oxojohn

oxojohn

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 23 March 2016 - 02:17 PM

Hello, I am looking for help regarding MIG files, I recently installed a free upgrade from Windows 7 to windows 10 with the much-needed help from the members of Bleeping Computers.

Before the upgrade, I used Windows Easy Transfer to transfer my picture files from my main C drive to a remote USB plugin hard drive, and on doing so I check that everything transferred over OK.

Now that I have windows 10 installed I find the files will not open!

Any help would be much appreciated.      

Regards.

John.                       

Edited by hamluis, 23 March 2016 - 04:02 PM.
Moved to Win 10 Support from Win 7 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 24 March 2016 - 02:04 PM

It appears that this doesn't work with Windows 10.  See this link:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_install/windows-easy-transfer-in-windows-10/6f697612-e258-4932-8357-6856775beab6

The Windows 10 upgrade has an option to leave your existing files in place, so maybe your files are still there?  Did you make a full system backup to an external hard drive before making this major change?  If not, now you know why you should.  If you just want to save picture files, you should use copy and paste or the "Send to" option of the Windows Explorer.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 oxojohn

oxojohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2016 - 07:00 AM

Thanks for your reply Niweg, I did a full backup before going over to Windows 10, but in between backing up and changing to window 10, I used my camera and put on over a 100 wildlife photo's on the memory card, I downloaded them onto my computer and then as usual I formatted the memory card in the camera, because I was recommended to do so, before putting any more images on there.

Knowing I was changing to windows 10, I decided to back up the new images to my remote hard drive instead of doing another full backup and I used the windows program "easy transfer", after my change to windows 10, I went to put them through Photoshop but I could not find them, but when I came to transfer them to my main drive from the remote one, the files would not open.

To me, this sound silly, because not being able to transfer files from one windows system to another windows system is a nonsense!

I will hold on to the Mig files in the hope that Microsoft sort their act out, there must be loads of other people out there with the same problem.

Regards.

John.

#4 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 27 March 2016 - 01:47 PM

m As I read the link I posted above, there's a free program from Laplink that will do what you need.  You could also find PC with an earlier version of Windows to get your .MIG files loaded, then copy & paste them onto a flash drive or external hard drive.  That's a pain, but it will work.  Why MS does things like this, I wish I knew, but they don't ask me!  There are a lot of things I wish I knew why they do, but what can you do?

When I migrated from earlier versions of Windows to newer versions, I used Easeus Todo Backup Free to make a complete system backup to an external hard drive, then installed it on the new PC and restored what I wanted.  That's always been the best way for me.  It has the added benefit of giving me a backup of my system too.  YMMV.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#5 oxojohn

oxojohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2016 - 05:00 PM

Hello Niweg, many thanks for replying again to my problem, I will look into the options that you posted....Quote (You could also find PC with an earlier version of Windows to get your .MIG files loaded, then copy & paste them onto a flash drive or external hard drive )

I don't have a PC with an earlier version of windows, but just a thought, I do have my original copy of windows 7, so if I installed windows 7 on my external hard drive, and used that to open the MIG files, and then uninstalled windows 7, would that work without it being too technical for myself with a very limited knowledge and know how.

All the best.

John.

#6 musicbits

musicbits

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 27 March 2016 - 08:20 PM

I was looking for a tool to extract files from a MIG file and found this article. I haven't tried it because we decided to use Win 7 to extract the files.

http://www.visser.com.au/blog/migrecover-for-microsofts-windows-easy-transfer/

#7 oxojohn

oxojohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2016 - 05:42 AM

Hi musicbits, thanks for your input, after investigating your link it seems to work for some and not for others, but obviously worth a try.

Thank you,John.

#8 oxojohn

oxojohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2016 - 07:52 AM

Hello musicbits, as you see in the attachment, unfortunately, it did not work, but many thanks for trying it's much appreciated.

John.

Command%20Prompt_zpsidsyfqvm.jpg

Attached Files

Edited by oxojohn, 28 March 2016 - 07:57 AM.

#9 oxojohn

oxojohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2016 - 09:37 AM

Hi Niweg, Regarding Laplink, I have been in touch with Laplink and asked if any of their programs will open MIG files, but, unfortunately, the answer is no!

Regard, John.

#10 musicbits

musicbits

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 28 March 2016 - 01:49 PM

Hello musicbits, as you see in the attachment, unfortunately, it did not work, but many thanks for trying it's much appreciated.

John.

Command%20Prompt_zpsidsyfqvm.jpg

Did you try following the exact steps listed on the Visser Labs site?

#11 oxojohn

oxojohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2016 - 05:19 PM

Quote....Did you try following the exact steps listed on the Visser Labs site?

Yes, by the letter, I printed the instructions and tried it a few times before I gave up!

But, just to clarify that I have deciphered the instructions correctly.

Number 1 on the instruction below,   Am I right in saying that the "MigRecover archive" is the folder where the MIG files are that I want to open? and that's the one I re-name

Number 2    when it says...."move yourSaveData.MIG" to C:\.........I have saved it to my desktop which is on C drive...,.I hope

But I can not find the file, " C:\MigRecover\Recover" as on the instructions below?

.Migrecover%20Instructions_zpsqhhdcmtd.jp

Edited by oxojohn, 28 March 2016 - 05:45 PM.

#12 CCinPA

CCinPA

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 09 April 2016 - 06:34 PM

So many hours looking for a solution... And no solution found... :crazy:

I have tried all the recommendations here with no success.  :smash:

I have a MIG file on an external-drive I need to open/extract with/into Windows 10... Help?  :wizardball:

#13 oxojohn

oxojohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2016 - 04:54 AM

So many hours looking for a solution... And no solution found... :crazy:

I have tried all the recommendations here with no success.  :smash:

I have a MIG file on an external-drive I need to open/extract with/into Windows 10... Help?  :wizardball:

The same here!!  like yourself I too have spent loads of time scanning the web for a solution that 

works on windows 10, I am amazed that a program that was developed by Microsoft is no longer 

supported leaving obviously loads of there customers in the lurch without offering a solution to a 

problem they themselves created! shame on you MICROSOFT.

#14 Taht67

Taht67

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 08 August 2016 - 09:27 AM

The MigRecover option noted previously, worked great for me!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users