Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot connect to a printer on another computer.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AzureDrag0n1

AzureDrag0n1

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 23 March 2016 - 01:17 PM

Several computers and the server can connect to a printer that is directly connected to a windows xp computer at the office I work at. None of the windows 10 machines are able to connect to this printer but it could do so before. XP machine is on a domain while windows 10 machines are in a workgroup.

What I did before was simply go //fullcomputername/nameofprinter and it worked fine on the windows 10 machines. You could send print requests from the windows 10 computers to the xp machine and then to the color laser printer and everything was good.

Doing the same does not do anything and it can not find the xp machine anymore.

IP addresses of all the machines in the office where changed after new phone system was installed. Had to fix a lot of stuff but could not fix this.

Edited by AzureDrag0n1, 23 March 2016 - 01:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BenjaminGordonT

BenjaminGordonT

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2016 - 01:29 PM

Hmm... Well I know that Windows XP handles networking differently than Windows 7 and above, which is probably the beginning of your issues. Having the XP machine connected to the domain while the Windows 10 machines are connected to the workgroup is another issue. My suggestion is to follow this article to share the printer on your network: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457001.aspx

This article might help as well: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/12246/share-a-printer-on-your-network-from-vista-or-xp-to-windows-7/

If it still doesn't show up I would make sure both computers are properly connected to the network and therefore interface with each other.

Worst-case scenario try using the printer software to set up the printer as a network printer, or put one of the Windows 10 machines on the domain to receive the printer, then share it from there.

Hope it helps,

-Ben

#3 AzureDrag0n1

AzureDrag0n1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2016 - 04:39 PM

The windows 10 machines can usually ping the xp machine but sometimes gets the error destination host unreachable. When I try to ping the windows 10 machines with the xp machine I get timed out requests. Windows 10 machines can not be put on a domain and can only be in workgroups.

Windows 10 PCs can not be pinged by any other machine including other windows 10 machines except for the front desk windows 10 machine. There is a windows 10 Laptop and it can connect to the xp machine normally and is able to print from the windows xp color printer. Windows 10 machines can however see some of the other computer names and trying to connect to them gives user name and password screen.

The XP machine can not ping most windows 10 machines including the laptop that is able to communicate with it and print from it. The front desk windows 10 machine can be pinged by by the xp machine and I can see it when I search for computer names. Trying to connect to the color laser printer gives the error 0x0000051f from the front desk.

WIndows 7 Laptop can communicate with XP machines normally without issue. WIndows 7 machine is on a domain. I can not see the windows 10 machines if I try and search for their computer name on the xp machine except for the front desk machine. Other computers can be found when I search for them.

Windows 10 PCs get a destination host unreachable error when trying to ping the Windows 10 Laptop.

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 23 March 2016 - 05:24 PM

You have bigger issues than just printing.

Buying the wrong version of windows 10 was a start of those issues.

Not properly configuring everyone's firewall to trust the local subnet is another issue which is most likely what the ping issue is about.

Since you can not see computers when you search by name I have to think your dhcp and dns are not setup properly for your environment.

Someone needs to decide which direction, and their consequences, between everyone being on a domain or everyone being in a workgroup.

Mixing will only cause headaches for everyone.

In the future only consider network printers or printers attached to print server that can be addressed by static ip.  Then domain/workgroup doesn't matter.

#5 AzureDrag0n1

AzureDrag0n1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 03:15 PM

OK I took your suggestion and just attached the printer to the print server with a static IP. Had to find a cable long enough somewhere to connect to the network directly. Works fine for now.

I do not really know enough about how the DCHP or DNS settings where implemented. I am just the graphics guy and website administrator but when somebody makes a problem I end up having to fix it. Is there some guide or info I can read up on for this. I have this feeling this might be an issue in the future and I will have to fix it.

#6 BenjaminGordonT

BenjaminGordonT

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 08:22 PM

OK the guy above you was a little snarky. Different versions of Windows usually have NO problem working together, I should know! I have Windows XP, Vista, 7, and 8 machines in my workplace running smoothly together. However he is right, even Windows 10 Home machines should be able to be put on a domain, but if not, suck it up and take the XP machines off the domain. As for your DNS and DHCP problems well that's for you to figure out. Hope it helps!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users