Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New CPU

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Highjinks

Highjinks

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 23 March 2016 - 01:03 PM

I know this is going to potentially become a biased thread question, but i'm curious anyways.

I currently have a decent build on my personal computer setup, and i'm trying to get everything setup for streaming game play.

Everything runs pretty well with modern games on full graphics with the exception of my CPU which is maxed an 99-100% while streaming.

I currently have an AM3+ socket board with an amd FX 8150. 

Now i need to know if i should upgrade to an 8350, jump to the 9xxx series (i've heard there's massive heat issues with them and even more power consumption, which i don't have any issues with now, but would rather avoid that), wait for the next series of AMD chips or just jump ship completely, and get a new MOBO and go intel. 

I've heard the new skylake intel chips are amazing, and the mobo's are ddr4 compatible. is all that really worth spending the money on?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 23 March 2016 - 01:11 PM

Skylake has difficulties to beat 5 year old overclocked Sandy Bridge and also thermal paste solution under heatspreader is still very low quality. Intel's development has been very slow on recent years so better to wait if AMD Zen brings something fresh.

Sounds like you are doing video compression on CPU. Do it with video card and CPU ulitization will get much lower(?). And then you have no hurry to wait new CPU's.

#3 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 23 March 2016 - 01:21 PM

What Drillingmachine said. Even if you go Intel, I would wait. Zen should force them to up their game a bit. DDR4 is also massively overhyped, at least for non-server uses.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#4 Highjinks

Highjinks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2016 - 02:14 PM

Thanks for the input guys! Yeah i'm using just the CPU because i wanted to maintain full video quality and not use my gpu at all. I'll test it out though on lower settings and use both and see if that helps. 

From what I've read, the Zen series is going to be a different socket type correct? I believe it was just AM4.

Either way i go, i'll end up getting a new Mobo i guess. 

#5 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2016 - 02:34 PM

Yes, Zen should be a new mobo. I wouldn't worry about it as you can typically bundle a CPU and mobo cheaply, at least at the shops where I am.

#6 Highjinks

Highjinks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2016 - 04:02 PM

Awesome. Thanks again for all the input. Appreciate your time and knowledge. 

#7 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2016 - 04:05 PM

You're welcome on behalf of all of us :) If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

#8 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,347 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2016 - 09:19 AM

Skylake has difficulties to beat 5 year old overclocked Sandy Bridge 

Please provide evidence.

Skylake was never designed to be that much more powerful. Skylake is designed for efficiency. Because of the lower heat output of these chips you can overclock them more with the same cooler as older chips.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#9 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 24 March 2016 - 10:33 AM

Skylake has difficulties to beat 5 year old overclocked Sandy Bridge 

Please provide evidence.

Skylake was never designed to be that much more powerful. Skylake is designed for efficiency. Because of the lower heat output of these chips you can overclock them more with the same cooler as older chips.

Skylake is somewhere around 20%-25% faster than Sandy Bridge at same clock speed. Sandy Bridge can quite easily overclock that 25% so there it is.

Skylake has 14nm manufacturing process, other than that it's hard to see how it's Designed for effiency, other than putting crappy paste under heatspreader. Most of that effiency comes from 14nm process anyway. Perhaps that paste soution is reason why Skylake overclocks very badly for 14nm part. Also 25% increase ctc during 4 years is not very much. In any case, I see no valid reasons to upgrade from Sandy Bridge to Skylake when talking about desktops where power consumption is not an issue.

#10 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2016 - 10:53 AM

Captain Chicken, Drillingmachine, please don't let this get started on another off-topic argument. I personally believe that the OP's question has been answered. I am not a fan of skylake but it is a new process so I'm willing to give intel a break. I'm sure next-gen 14nm will be a large jump from skylake. As for crappy TIM, well there's always delidding... if you're willing to risk it on a chip that thin.

Mod Edit:  Emphasis added - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 24 March 2016 - 07:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users