Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen with light behind it - how do I get passed it?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 DefinitelyNoExpert

DefinitelyNoExpert

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 23 March 2016 - 12:50 PM

Firstly, the information on stickers on my laptop: ASUS R700V (Intel CORE-i7, 36300M, 2,4 GHz) with OS Win 8.

It suddenly wouldn't start up anymore, only in the safe mode [F7]. I thought I should fix this by telling the system to restore itself, but in the process I selected an "essential windows update" to be deleted. After this, the laptop would only start up to a black screen, which has a light behind it (so it is not the black of a screen which is turned off). I took the battery out, and hit some keys (no, I do not know why) and suddenly there was the cursor-arrow! Just a black screen to click on, but the arrow is there.

I have no clue what is going on.

As for the lights at the icons below the keypad, the one with the lightbulb and the wireless signall are burning, the one with the cylinder flickers and the one with the battery is naturally off as the battery is out.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BenjaminGordonT

BenjaminGordonT

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2016 - 01:32 PM

No big deal, if I were you I would run startup repair using the Windows 8 boot menu, which you get to by pushing F8 at startup (I think). Startup repair might work as well. You can also try booting from a Windows 8 boot media and selecting (repair my computer).

Good luck,

-Ben

#3 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 23 March 2016 - 02:56 PM

Sounds like something is wrong with your graphics driver. Id do what was suggested or re-load using disc you can get if still under warranty.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 25 March 2016 - 08:00 AM

Do a hard shut down and then restart the computer and let us know what the status is.  If there is an error message please post exactly what it states.

If you are not familiar with a hard shut down, this is done by pressing the power button till the power LED shut off, this usually take five or so seconds.

Can you boot into BIOS?

When the cursor arrow was showing were you able to move it via the touchscreen?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 DefinitelyNoExpert

DefinitelyNoExpert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 05:52 AM

Thank you all for your replies.

@Ben: Using F8 has no results.

@Chalup: The laptop is not under warranty anymore...

@DC3: I hit the power button, unplugged the laptop, removed the battery, replugged the laptop, hit the power button and.... I only see a black screen, but with the change that there appears to be a glow behind it (so I know something is happening somewhere). The light on the power button is also alight. There is no error message I can see, as I just see a dark screen.

But, when I hit the mouse of the laptop (not an external one with USB-connection) the cursor arrow is shown. I can move it around too. I clicked around a bit, but nothing happens. 

As for "booting into BIOS"; hitting F8 gives no results. Or do you mean using an external USB-drive to start the laptop from?

I start to suspect there is some problem between what is happening inside the laptop and showing it on the screen... Not sure how to explain: the screen won't show but the software might (might!) be working OK. If this is the case, would that mean I have to open up the laptop?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 08:43 AM

*If you can open the BIOS and see it on your screen this will mean that there is a problem with Windows.  To open the BIOS try tapping on Delete when it first starts.  If Delete does not work try F2.

If you have access to an external monitor plug it into the notebook and see it you can see anything.

I tried to download the user manual for this notebook, but it seems that the ASUS website is down for "enhancements".  You may need to use a key or key combination to switch between the display on the notebook and the monitor.  You will need to read the user manual which came with it to learn how to do this.

*If you get a monitor and are able to see Windows boot on it use the instructions above when you see the ASUS splash screen.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 DefinitelyNoExpert

DefinitelyNoExpert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 09:43 AM

@DC3 That sounded like such a promising idea! But I'm very sorry to report that it did not work.

Delete - Nothing

F2 - Nothing

I plugged in an external monitor and used [FN][F8] but the laptop screen kept its internal glow and the other monitor showed absolutely no change (I'm positive it was on and quite sure the plug was inserted correclty).

On an other note: I do get "ASUS" on the laptop monitor now, as the first "power on" screen. This is an advocate against the monitor-problem. But as soon as it should switch to windows it goes wrong.

I also lost the arrow key along the way - can't see it when I click the mouse (internal nor external) anymore...

Maybe the whole Fn-F8 doesn't work because the keys aren't working? Which would also explain why the "delete" and "F2" gain no response. Is this a possibility?

However, I did use an external keyboard (USB) and this changed nothing...

Quite the puzzle...

#8 BenjaminGordonT

BenjaminGordonT

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 08:19 PM

OK when you first get the "ASUS" on the laptop monitor start tapping F2 over and over again till it goes black, this should get you into the BIOS screen to which you can follow DC3's instructions. If that doesn't work try the same thing with the "ESC" key. You have a Windows problem to be sure but I can't give you the fix until I know the exact problem. Hope it helps!

-Ben

#9 DefinitelyNoExpert

DefinitelyNoExpert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2016 - 06:38 AM

@Ben - The [ESC]-key works!

OK, so now I have a blue screen which let me chose between "windows boot manager" or "enter setup".

What do I do next?

You say "follow DC3's instructions", but I'm not sure what to do - do you mean the external monitor bit? Or the BIOS?

In the BIOS I'm a bit reluctant to just try stuff, as that is how I got into trouble in the first way (within the safe mode and restore settings).

I know I can get into (even more) trouble when I mess up within the BIOS...

Can I run 'something' within the BIOS which will give more information about what I'm dealing with?

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2016 - 09:54 AM

According to ASUS the F2 key is the one used with their notebooks.  Just to use belt and suspenders I've also suggested the Delete key which ASUS suggests for their laptops.

The purpose of accessing the BIOS is to see if it is visible on your screen.  If it is, then the problem is not with the display, it is a Windows problem. 

If you can still see the blue ASUS screen press the F9 key.  If this works you will be able to use the system recovery partition to reinstall Windows.

Edited by dc3, 27 March 2016 - 10:10 AM.

#11 DefinitelyNoExpert

DefinitelyNoExpert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2016 - 10:07 AM

OK, in that case I have seen it (with ESC for some reason?).

So it IS a Windows problem.

I have tried to run it in the Safe Mode again (I got into that part this time), but it fails again...

So I got LINUX on a USB-stick to boot from there, but now I see a screen with "grub> ..." and I've got no clue what command to execute to get into the laptop by using LINUX...

If I could get in that way, might it be possible to recover my files, or are they hidden away within the windows-shell?

Or is there a Windows way to fix this? I guess I should re-install windows, but I haven't got that CD anymore, or the code... I know, not a smart move to lose such things.

Edited by DefinitelyNoExpert, 27 March 2016 - 10:24 AM.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2016 - 10:32 AM

Does this notebook have a DVD drive?

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2016 - 10:50 AM

You can create a installation disc or flash drive and access the System Recovery Options which includes the Startup Repair and Command Prompt.  You can do a System Restore from the Command Prompt which may set things straight.

If you let me know if you have a DVD drive and a blank DVD I will give you the information you need to create a installation disk.  If you don't have a DVD drive you can use flash drive to access the System Recovery Options.

#14 DefinitelyNoExpert

DefinitelyNoExpert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2016 - 11:12 AM

No working DVD-drive.

I'll try the System Restore form the Command Prompt.

Thank you for all your help;

I'll report back with my findings - hopefully this does the trick.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2016 - 11:17 AM

Just curious here... how are you going to access the Command Prompt?

If you are going to use the Command Prompt you will need to use the command below followed by pressing Enter.

rui.exe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users