Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Usage at 100%

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Desolati0n

Desolati0n

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 23 March 2016 - 09:39 AM

When I first got my computer it was a little laggy nothing too crazy, I noticed when my computer was freezing my disk usage is jumping up to 100% and everything freezes and this happens when im doing something as simple as watching a video on youtube or a movie in vlc media player this lead me to believe it was a harddrive issue but it wasn't unbearable so I stuck with it until I could find a permanent fix.  This is when it progressively started getting worse, the freezes would happen more often and soon it became so unbeareable I could only use my once gaming computer for simple things like word documents and excel spreadsheets. Then after about 6 months it started showing a screen when I turned it on that said "Press ESC in 1 seconds to skip startup.nsh, or any other key to continue" and the screen wouldn't change even if you tried to press a key, you'd then have to restart the computer a second time for it to start normally. However 1 month later my computer won't turn on at all it just keeps looping that screen, the restart method no longer works. I looked up the error but there's no sure fire answer, some say it's a harddrive problem but that wouldn't make sense because I can read my harddrive on my laptop using a harddrive reader so it isn't corrupt, this got me thinking it could be the sata connector or something in my computer.  I was able to unplug my harddrive and then plug it back in and that seems to have allowed me to get back to the desktop, however the computers disk usage is still at 100%, 95% of the time.  This problem started happening pretty soon after I got my brand new desktop so I know it's not a virus etc. I'm thinking it's a hardware malfunction, and if anyone has any ideas on how to fix it that would be amazing. I don't want to have to buy an entire brand new computer, but if I ultimately have to, then I guess I have to.

The company I bought it from has horrible customer service, I've tried getting help but it's usually a 2 hour call that results in nothing but lost time, so I've come here for possibly alternative methods.

Here are the speccs of my computer:

CPU:Intel® Core™ i7-4790 3.60 GHz 8MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1150

HDD:1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)

MEMORY: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3/2133MHz Dual Channel Memory (ADATA XPG V3)

MOTHERBOARD:MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX w/ GIGABit LAN, 2 PCIe x16, 3 PCIe x1, 1x M.2, 6x SATA 6GB/s (All Venom OC Certified)

POWERSUPPLY:600 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready

VIDEO:AMD Radeon R9 270X 2GB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card (Single Card)

OS originally was windows 8.1, but I upgraded to windows 10 thinking it would fix the problem but it didn't fix it.

That should be everything if I left anything out let me know.

I used a company called CyberPower, which looking back I regret because they are a horrible company, however I just want my computer to work, all help is appreciated.

Also here's a picture of Task Manager when its at 99-100%

Attached Files

Edited by Desolati0n, 23 March 2016 - 09:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2016 - 10:52 AM

Have you run a disk check?  That's the first thing I'd do since you may have some bad sectors & could be in constant error recovery.  Start File Explorer, right-click C: and click Properties.  Click the Tools tab and click Check.  Check the box to check for and attempt repair of any bad sectors.  That will likely require a reboot and can run for a good while.

After checking the hard drive, start an administrator command prompt and issue this command: sfc /scannow .  That can run 15 - 20 minutes & will check for and attempt to fix any cordrupt system files.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 Desolati0n

Desolati0n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2016 - 02:57 PM

Have you run a disk check?  That's the first thing I'd do since you may have some bad sectors & could be in constant error recovery.  Start File Explorer, right-click C: and click Properties.  Click the Tools tab and click Check.  Check the box to check for and attempt repair of any bad sectors.  That will likely require a reboot and can run for a good while.
 After checking the hard drive, start an administrator command prompt and issue this command: sfc /scannow .  That can run 15 - 20 minutes & will check for and attempt to fix any cordrupt system files.

Good luck.

That didn't work, when I did boot repair it started looping the boot repair upon restart, so currently I am doing chkdsk in CMD via a Windows recovery disc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users