Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hp dc7900 locking up sometimes

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 23 March 2016 - 09:33 AM

Hey guys, my work machine 'sometimes' gets very slow and erratic, it is not virus related and is not browser issue. When I look at the task manager's Processes, I am not seeing anything unusual in the CPU column and whenever this happens, I restart the pc and all is fine, how can I find what might be causing this intermittent problem please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,209 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2016 - 11:05 AM

Take a look at this tutorial using Process Explorer. When the computer lags Process Explorer may give you a clue on which process is causing the problem. Check Event Viewer for any errors. 

http://captaindbg.com/tutorial-and-advance-troubleshooting-using-process-explorer/

I would also check your temps during the lag.

http://www.almico.com/sfscreenshots.php

#3 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,534 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2016 - 11:25 AM

Thanks John, I will leave both utilities on and will reply back when this has happened again.

#4 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,534 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 03:31 PM

Have you or anyone used Process explorer? I can't figure out what to look for in it when my pc is hanging? Speedfan temps looks normal when pc is hanging and the pc is cold to touch so overheating issues.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,209 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 04:35 PM

I don't have a lot of experience with Process Explorer. Did you find anything in Event Viewer? You may want to start a new thread in the Crash/Hang Forum where they can look at your logs.

#6 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,534 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 05:17 PM

It didn't hang yet because I haven't done as much as I normally do, when next it hangs I will post in the crash/hang forum, also I will look around for a forum which discusses process explorer, thanks

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,209 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 05:23 PM

You may want to take a look at Process Monitor. That shows your processes in real time but I don't have any experience with it. I think your best bet is the Crash Forum. Good Luck.

#8 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,534 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 06:26 PM

It's only 2gb ram and core2duo. I usually have more than 25 tabs open and keep switching between them plus having a few word and excel files open. I am wondering if maybe this old unit just can't handle the heavier workload? Whenever it hangs and I restart it works like new again.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,209 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 06:46 PM

If those 25 tabs are for Chrome then I would have to agree. That is even high for Firefox. Start Task Manager. In the View tab under columns select Peak Working Set Memory. That is the highest memory logged for that particular process. Try to keep your tabs to a minimum.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ff382715.aspx

#10 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 06:47 PM

It's only 2gb ram and core2duo. I usually have more than 25 tabs open and keep switching between them plus having a few word and excel files open. I am wondering if maybe this old unit just can't handle the heavier workload?

Could be, could be.  What does Task Manager say when you have so many tabs and programs open at once?  BTW, here's an article on using Process Explorer.

#11 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,534 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 06:52 PM

I decided it's time to upgrade so i ordered a brand new pc but the curiosity in me would like to find the culprit and I have one more week to do it.

#12 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,534 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 07:20 AM

It's only 2gb ram and core2duo. I usually have more than 25 tabs open and keep switching between them plus having a few word and excel files open. I am wondering if maybe this old unit just can't handle the heavier workload?

What does Task Manager say when you have so many tabs and programs open at once? 

Sorry not understanding the question? Thanks for the article, I have also joined the PM forum for help.

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,657 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 07:49 AM

What does Task Manager say when you have so many tabs and programs open at once? 

Sorry not understanding the question? Thanks for the article, I have also joined the PM forum for help.

Agouti is probably referring to How many "Processes" "CPU Usage" and Physical Memory" are being used.  You will see this at the bottom of "Task Manager" as you probably know.

IMO, W7 will give you troubles if you run it so hard on a low powered system as you have.  At the least you should upgrade to some good RAM if possible, and maybe some other speed or Resource Reducing cleanups.

Now that you bought another pc - and if you are adventurous - you could try out Linux on the old pc, maybe a Dual Boot with Windows and Linux.  Linux will run much faster with such a pc, I know because I have two  with Dual Core CPU's, one with 3GB of RAM and the other with 4GB of RAM.

I think you will find that you are just running to many Processes for that pc.  It's always good practice to post the specs of the pc also, because some might have experience with the same very same one.  Things like CPU Cache, brand of CPU, HDD Type etc. these all tell a helping hand what the pc is capable of.  I would never have that many Tabs open on my Dual Core while running many other apps also, it just won't handle it consistently.

Consider turning off "Disabling" any Extensions that you don't need in your preferred browser, google it!  They come with some Enabled that a person might not even use, so take a look. 

pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#14 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,534 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 08:07 AM

Right now with 29 tabs open and a few word docs TM is showing  Processes 60, CPU Usage going continuously between 1 and 64% and Physical Memory 61%. I use mainly FF for browser.

Edited by mystic12, 26 March 2016 - 08:07 AM.

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,657 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2016 - 09:14 PM

Well your CPU don't seem too taxed, I would say you are having issues because of RAM, but you will need to do some testing to find out for sure.  I'm no Tech, but RAM is usually Shared, so if it is showing 60% it might be getting toward it's limits and when you aren't looking it hits the limit.  Here is another article that covers some of what has already been said here.  It is HTG and covers the basics.  I wonder if you can obtain this pc once your Employer gets you the new one?  The Event Viewer or the Reliability Monitor should show you what you need to know.

http://www.howtogeek.com/222730/how-to-find-out-why-your-windows-pc-crashed-or-froze/

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users