Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scrolling through photos from different cameras?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 sarah_lu

sarah_lu

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 23 March 2016 - 07:47 AM

Hello,

I have a very annoying problem and I suspect there is an easy solution, but I can't seem to work it out!

I have recently been on holiday and took lots of photos on 3 different cameras - mine, my partners and my mobile phone.  I have put all the photos in a single folder and now want to go through and view them and delete duplicates etc.  The problem is when I open up an image (in Microsoft Office 2010, Windows Live Photo Gallery or Windows Photo Viewer), and press the arrow to move to the next photo, it only cycles through photos taken by the same camera as the original photo I opened.  I can't find a way to scroll through all the photos regardless of the camera they were taken on.

I'd prefer to not download any more software if it all possible, is there an easy way around this?  I've tried assigning tags but that doesn't work either.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,456 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2016 - 06:44 PM

I have just tried to duplicate this problem and failed. I created a temporary folder in our personal photo collection and copied three photos taken with my wife's Canon and three taken with my Nikon and both Office Picture viewer and the Windows picture viewer allowed me to scan through all six, as of course does Irfanview, my default image viewer.

Are you sure that all these photos are in the same folder ? Say   \Hoiiday 2016\All photos or is your structure like this -

\Holiday 2016\My camera ;  \Holiday 2016\Partner's camera  ;  \Holiday 2016\Phone shots  ?

If all your photos are in the 'All photos' folder I am not sure what the problem is, or rather I cannot understand why you can't scroll through them all. If your folder structure is similar to my second line, then your photos are not all in the same folder, but rather in three different ones which would explain it..

Chris Cosgrove

#3 sarah_lu

sarah_lu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 03:44 AM

Thanks for your reply.  They are all in a single folder on my desktop.  I have tried putting them in a single folder within 'My Pictures' too, but it didn't make a difference.  Thank you for trying anyway

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,456 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 07:01 PM

Any chance you can post a screen shot of this folder as seen in Windows Explorer ?  Something like this one ?

canon-camera-folders.jpg

Chris Cosgrove

#5 sarah_lu

sarah_lu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2016 - 04:54 AM

Sorry to sound silly but how I do I attach it to my reply?

#6 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2016 - 05:47 AM

Hi sarah_lu,

Have a look at this post

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/602116/program-stops-working-for-unknown-reasons-what-am-i-supposed-to-do/?p=3908762

But I must admit this is not working for me at the moment(gremlins on the site)

Good luck

Hedge

#7 sarah_lu

sarah_lu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2016 - 08:50 AM

Thank you for replying.  When I click on 'More reply options' there doesn't seem to be an 'Attach files' box

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,456 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2016 - 03:33 PM

You are correct - there isn't !  The ability to insert images into posts does not exist in all the different sections of BC, and for some odd reason 'Graphics and Photo editing' is one of the sections where it is not possible. I will ask why elsewhere, it would seem a fairly obvious tool.

All I can suggest you do is upload your image to one of the file hosting sites - I use Dropbox, but there are plenty of others - and post the link to the image. Here is a Dropbox link to an image I posted on another occasion. Once you have the image hosted all you need is the URL which the hosting site will give you -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zeykqayointwjy4/Dallachy%20Airfield%20large.jpg?dl=0

My apologies but I used a moderator tool to post the image in my #4.

Chris Cosgrove

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 28 March 2016 - 05:02 PM

You can post screenshots in Graphics Design and Photo Editing by uploading to an image hosting site and pasting the appropriate link in your post. This will put the image into the post, rather than a link to click on in order to see it.

The link might say BBCode (message boards & forums) or similar.
The actual link to paste will look like this (or similar). The bracketed img tags are what you want to look for and use here.
[img=http://i.imgur.com/rLtdKCc.png]
This will be what is seen when that link is pasted in this reply
rLtdKCc.png

I use Imgur for my photo hosting. 

When I click on 'More reply options' there doesn't seem to be an 'Attach files' box

No, there is no Attach files in this board.

Attachments are allowed only certain forums.
For reference, here is a list of which sub-forums allow the use of attachments.

Operating Systems Forum
Windows 95/98/ME
Windows XP Home and Professional
Windows NT/2000/2003/2008
Windows Vista
Windows 7
Windows 8
Windows 10 Support
Windows 10 Discussion
Windows Crashes, BSOD, and Hangs Help and Support

Hardware Forum
Internal Hardware

Security Forum
Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs

Edited by Queen-Evie, 28 March 2016 - 05:26 PM.

#10 sarah_lu

sarah_lu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2016 - 07:54 AM

Thanks.  Did this work? http://snag.gy/R3TWk.jpg 

#11 sarah_lu

sarah_lu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2016 - 07:55 AM

Or this https://www.dropbox.com/s/n9xe4wzch5kdi9k/Pics%20screenshot.JPG?dl=0 

#12 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,456 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2016 - 04:40 PM

Snaggy came up 'Page not found' but the Dropbox image worked.

OK, you are correct - all your photos seem to be in one folder. In which case you should be able to scroll through all of them using any of the viewers you list. So that leaves me clutching at straws !

The only thing I can think of, and I can't see why it should matter, is that you have all these images in the 'Favourites' folder. I suggest you  create a folder called 'Burma 2016' or something similar either in 'My Photos' or on your 'C\' drive and move them to that and then try again. I have been using and maintaining computers running Win 7 - which I think is your OS - since it was first released and you are the first person I have come across who had data in the 'Favourites' folder. I am not saying it is wrong, just unusual and it is the only odd thing that sticks out.

On top of that, my wife and I take a lot of photos - since we went over to digital cameras we have worn out one each. There is a folder containing 354 GB of photos on my C\ drive of work we have done for a project we are involved in and another containing some 72 GB of personal photos on another drive spread over some 1700 or so folders. Nearly all of these folders were taken with a mix of cameras - hers and mine - and I can scan through every image in every folder. Oh yes, they are all backed up to a fare-thee-well !

To repeat. I am not saying it is wrong to have these images in 'Favourites', merely that it is unusual, so try a folder in 'My photos' or on the 'C\' drive.

And do post back and let me know if it made a difference, and I hope it was a great trip !

Chris Cosgrove

#13 sarah_lu

sarah_lu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2016 - 09:01 AM

Did what you said in the my photos folder...I have also copied the folder to a memory card and viewed it directly on that...neither made any difference.  I'm baffled!

#14 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,456 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2016 - 06:21 PM

You're baffled ?  So am I  !

I'm sorry but I have no other ideas as to why you can't scroll through all these images one after another. Perhaps somebody brighter than me can chip in with a suggestion.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users