Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changes to Drive letter & rename causing backup problems to external drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jen56

Jen56

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 23 March 2016 - 07:12 AM

Hi,
Bit of background first, my old harddrive , which was split into  C and D ,approx. 500 gig each, went Kaput,had it replaced with an SSD(at my request because I heard they don't overheat and are faster) by an experienced computer technician, and no longer  having to deal with split drives suited me fine.
I only  have half the storage space now, about 500Gg in comparison to 1,000 Gg,  but cost was a factor at the time, SSD's being so expensive.
Very happy with the new SSD, speed etc.

My operating system is Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit , SP1.

My backups were all stored on a Goflex external harddrive, which  the technician accidentally  dropped on the floor, he then replaced this with an external drive with an on/off switch. (Pleased about the on/off switch, the other didn't have one, very upset about the dropping my other one).

All working fine, doing my backups to my new external drive  he gave me, using  my Acronis True Image software 2015 version, that I had always used.
My old external  drive was set up to drive E, and all my previous backups in Acronis show drive E, so perhaps this is why the technician set this new one up to Drive F, not sure.
And maybe this is why I got the error message below?

Well, in my infinite wisdom (which with computer technology isn't great I must admit) I suddenly decided I wanted to backup to an external drive with the letter E,(E for External seemed so much more practical to me,  just like before, not F, like now, so I found out how to go and change the letter from F to E again, and also the name of the drive. I got a message , after I changed the drive letter to E, saying this might cause a problem with some files or something, but I did it anyway, feeling adventurous at the time.,,,,,,Kind of regretting it now.

I had run a complete PC backup with Acronis software  to  external drive F, on the 21st March 2016, which went completely smoothly.
Then I think I did a backup of just files and folders on 23rd March 2016 also.

Then, after I changed that drive letter to E, and then gave the drive an entirely new name,  ( cause I didn't like the name the tech had given it),  I then did another complete PC backup. After this I got a system message from Acronis that said "Warning: The specified file path does not exist. Click RETRY to try to read from the same location. To Create a new version according to the current backup scheme click CANCEL.
I opted to click CANCEL ..............not RETRY.    Was this a good or bad choice?

So far haven't received any advice from Acronis regarding this matter.

My question is, have I stuffed up future backups by changing the drive letter and renaming the drive?
If so, how do I rectify it?
Help someone LOL
Regards,
Jen56

Edited by Queen-Evie, 24 March 2016 - 09:19 AM.
moved from Windows 8

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 23 March 2016 - 09:47 AM

I don't use Acronis, but if you think changing the drive letter caused a problem, can't you just change it back?  The Administrative Tools applet of the Control Panel is what I've always used to change drive letters. Changing the name (I assume you mean the drive label) should have no effect.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 24 March 2016 - 09:13 AM

There is a much easier way to access the disk management. Type disk management in the search box in the Start menu and then press Enter.

When disk management opens right click on the drive you want to change the letter on and select Change Drive Letter and Paths..., assign the drive letter you want to use, then click on OK.  

Look in the disk management and see if Acronis changed the drive letter back to what it was previously.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users