Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do virus files store personal information

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DukeBob

DukeBob

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 23 March 2016 - 05:18 AM

I am not very familiar with virus behavior, so I wish to ask a question: do viruses store any personal information? For instance, if you need to send (or have already sent) to third parties an infected file for scanning, how do you know it does not contain any of your personal data?

Edited: 33 views already but no answer. No one knows?

Edited by DukeBob, 23 March 2016 - 05:55 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 23 March 2016 - 06:29 AM

A Virus is a man-made program (small bits of programming code disguised as something else or buried in other codes) that causes an unexpected and usually undesirable event. A virus can replicate itself and is designed to automatically spread to other computer users. Viruses can be transmitted through email attachments, downloads or removable media such as CDs, DVDs, or USB drives. Depending on the maliciousness and skill of the virus creator, the damage caused by a virus will vary. Some viruses will spread its viral code into other programs, corrupt, modify or even erase files. Some viruses wreak their effect as soon as their code is executed while other viruses lie dormant until circumstances cause their code to be executed by the computer. Viruses are usually classified by various criteria to include origin, techniques, types of files they infect, where they hide, kind of damage they cause, etc.

As such, a virus will not store your personal information. On the other hand, some types of malware (i.e. Trojans) can steal your personal information.

To fully understand what a virus does, you need to understand there are many other types of malware and that they differ from each other.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,705 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2016 - 03:12 PM

In general no.

But there are viruses that replicate by injecting themselves in other files. For example macro viruses that inject themselves in your office documents.

If such a macro virus would infect one of your Word documents (with personal data), and you would send it to third parties for scanning, then you would also be sharing your personal data.

FYI: macro viruses that replicate like this are not prevalent for the moment.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#4 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,705 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2016 - 03:14 PM

Edited: 33 views already but no answer. No one knows?

33 views is not a lot for BC forums ;-)

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#5 Struppigel

Struppigel

Karsten Hahn, G DATA Malware Analyst

• Malware Response Team
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2016 - 05:42 AM

Hi DukeBob.

I believe you might mean malware files in general and not only viruses. The media often puts them on one level although viruses are a small subcategory of malware that show the behaviour that quietman7 describes.

For instance, if you need to send (or have already sent) to third parties an infected file for scanning, how do you know it does not contain any of your personal data?

People who send in files usually do that, because they don't know what these files are and what they contain. In that case you can't know if the file contains personal data.

Some malware will store information in their own log files like credentials they stole. If you happen to send one of those files, because they are unfamiliar to you, you also give away personal data. Only send files to third parties that you trust.

Edited by Curie, 27 March 2016 - 07:35 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users