Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mcfree VS Windows Firewall

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cicelia

Cicelia

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2016 - 11:58 PM

Hi Guys

Please could you give me your honest opinion with regards to which Firewall is best. I had to reset my computer back to factory settings due to "someone" remotely logging onto my phone, so now I really just want to set it up correctly from the start, and show him that this "blondchick" actually can.

But in all honesty I'm a little clueless at the best of times.

Thanking you in advance.

Warm Regards
C
Oops! Sorry, I meant "remotely logging onto my pc.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 23 March 2016 - 12:07 AM.
Moved to more appropriate forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stancestans

Stancestans

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 23 March 2016 - 02:26 AM

Windows Firewall has greatly improved since Vista and you wouldn't really need to use a third-party firewall program. Computer security has a lot more to it than just firewalls, and after it's all said and done, the weakest link is often the user; you. Google "how to secure your computer" and you'll see just how many articles exist that cover that extensive topic. They'll all cover the basics, so read them and make use of that knowledge. Feel free to seek further help with anything you find unclear.

In a nutshell:

- keep Windows updated (important updates)

- keep installed software updated

- keep security software updated (antivirus)

- install drivers and software from trusted sources and authors only

- watch your online habits (be wary of the sites you visit, links you click and information you provide. There are lots of traps and baits on the web)

- be careful with email attachments, even from trusted sources.

- use secure/strong passwords for your online accounts, and if applicable, enable two-factor authentication. Do not share one password with multiple accounts.

The above list is not nearly exhaustive, but it should guide you when reading those articles so that you know what to look for in them, because not all online sources are credible.

#3 Cicelia

Cicelia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2016 - 02:42 AM

Thank you so much for replying so promptly i sicerely appreciate it. May i ask how do I go about email attachments? Is there a program or a way I can view if the attachment is safe to open?

#4 Stancestans

Stancestans

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 23 March 2016 - 09:24 AM

Thank you so much for replying so promptly i sicerely appreciate it. May i ask how do I go about email attachments? Is there a program or a way I can view if the attachment is safe to open?

Keep your antivirus (antimalware) program updated and it will take care of infected files (like attachments) when they are being written to disk (while being downloaded) and when they are being read from disk (while being opened), but you can be extra cautious and manually scan the downloaded attachment before opening it. Office files, zip archives, images and pdf documents can be viewed directly from the web without being downloaded to your computer, especially in the case of Gmail. Ms Office files can also be viewed using the online version of Office. That is a much safer approach because office files can contain malicious code in the form of macros. By viewing them directly using web applications, you reduce the risk of such macros running and harming your computer.

I forgot to mention that you should also install an adblocker add-on or extension for the browsers you use. These will block banners, ads and malicious websites/domains from loading and exposing you to risk, not to mention they'll greatly improve your surfing experience. Adblock Plus is one such add-on and is available for popular browsers.

Edited by Stancestans, 23 March 2016 - 09:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users