Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't See HDD From Special Disk

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jtphenom

jtphenom

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 22 March 2016 - 09:56 PM

Hi Folks,

I don't know if it's against the rules or whatever to talk about the "Special Disk" that I'm referring to, but you'll probably figure out what I'm talking about really fast.

Booted into this disk to try to reset a password on a Dell Inspiron 3542, but can't browse to the SAM from NTPWEdit because it's not seeing the HDD. Went into BIOS to try to change from AHCI to IDE mode. But you can't change it, nor can you disable it.

I know there are other tools I can use, but I don't have the time or the patience right now to work on setting one up. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!
J

Edited by hamluis, 23 March 2016 - 04:47 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to All Other Applications - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 23 March 2016 - 04:48 AM

Seems to me that your subject matter would be better posed at the Dell forums, for more accurate information concerning the various passwords that may be employed on a Dell system.

Louis

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2016 - 07:12 AM

I am not sure what you are referring to as "Special Disk".  Can you post a link from where you got this "Special Disk"?  Can you tell us what you are trying to achieve?

#4 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2016 - 07:36 AM

Not sure if I'm out of line or not but sounds like Hirem's or something like it to get the password from registry.

#5 jtphenom

jtphenom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2016 - 08:38 AM

Seems to me that your subject matter would be better posed at the Dell forums, for more accurate information concerning the various passwords that may be employed on a Dell system.

Louis

This isn't a "Dell" password. It's a user account I'm trying to reset the password for. Dell would not be able to help me.

Not sure if I'm out of line or not but sounds like Hirem's or something like it to get the password from registry.

Correct. This is a Hirens disk. I'm trying to use it to reset a user's password.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2016 - 10:12 AM

If you are trying to reset a user account is there another admin account on the computer you can login to? If so then change it using the admin account. If there is no other admin account then use the guide here to enable the Hidden Administrator Account and use that to change the user password.

There is a newer version of the program here.  You can use a Rufus to create a bootable flash drive. Attach the USB flash drive and run Rufus. Select MBR partition scheme for BIOS or UEFI. Leave all boxes as checked. Where FreeDos is shown in the dropdown box select iso image and browse to your iso file. Press Start. Backup any data on the flash drive as it will be erased.

Here is a video explaining the process.

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2016 - 10:22 AM

Is this user an admin-level user?  Or, Standard user?  Reason for asking:  I believe even the built-in admin acct should be able to change any created account's password, whether Standard or Admin..

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#8 jtphenom

jtphenom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2016 - 10:33 AM

Is this user an admin-level user?  Or, Standard user?  Reason for asking:  I believe even the built-in admin acct should be able to change any created account's password, whether Standard or Admin

I believe the user is an admin.

If you are trying to reset a user account is there another admin account on the computer you can login to? If so then change it using the admin account. If there is no other admin account then use the guide here to enable the Hidden Administrator Account and use that to change the user password.

There is a newer version of the program here.  You can use a Rufus to create a bootable flash drive. Attach the USB flash drive and run Rufus. Select MBR partition scheme for BIOS or UEFI. Leave all boxes as checked. Where FreeDos is shown in the dropdown box select iso image and browse to your iso file. Press Start. Backup any data on the flash drive as it will be erased.

Here is a video explaining the process.

Thank you! I'll give it a shot!

#9 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:05 AM

If John C's solution doesn't work you can do this: Reset a Windows Password in Regedit at Boot; it worked for me on a test Virtual Machine. :)

You'll need a Windows 7 Install media or a Windows 7 System Repair Disc media

HTH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users