Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to block certain websites for some computers only on home Wifi-network?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 smartleon

smartleon

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2016 - 08:47 PM

I want to block certain types of websites such as gaming sites from my home wifi network since I have kids who spend a lot of time in those gaming sites. I also want to restrict video streaming on certain computers. I have tried using the instructions given on this site: http://goxpctricks.atwebpages.com/opendns.php which worked for blocking sites, but it blocks websites for all devices on the network. I just want to block for certain computers only, not all computers on the network. Any idea on what I can do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 23 March 2016 - 08:51 AM

depending on the feature set of your router you would do filtering based on mac address. this may require you to do ip address reservations in the routers dhcp server [associate mac address with a ip address it gets every time] since some routers can only filter on ip address.

you go to each device and note its physical or Ethernet or mac address.

create the filter.  associate the devices with that filter.  set the schedule for this filter in the hours you want to deny access.

with my kids I cut all internet from 10PM to 5AM or I would find them playing all night.

#3 smartleon

smartleon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2016 - 10:04 AM

After posting this same question on several different forums and getting different suggestions (from parental control software to host files and blah, blah, blah......), I'm finally getting a solution that works.  Thank you Wand3r3r.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users