Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

List of all programs needed to have on a computer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 campson

campson

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 22 March 2016 - 07:14 PM

Hello,

I am not computer savvy, so I would like to know if there is a list on this forum of all the programs/installations that one should have on their computer?

I know I should have an anti-virus, an anti-malware.

Should I have an anti-spyware (is that different from malware?)

I just read a name in here I hadn't heard of which was ransomware, should I have something for that?

This is what I do have if it helps, I run windows 7 and have another one on xp, which after reading here, I should change.

I have Free AVG 

Malwarebytes now (cuz I read that in here)

key scrambler, 

keypass

ccleaner

Thats about it. I will change antivirus because I saw quietmans recommendations, but just wondering what other things should I be using.

I stumbled upon this wonderful forum last night and very thankful.

Thank you for being here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 22 March 2016 - 08:11 PM

No. A particular setup or combination of programs that works well for one person may not work as well for another. Everyone's system is different and sometimes you may need to experiment in order to find the combination which works best and is most suitable for your needs. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone.

An anti-malware program is essentially the same as anti-spyware.

For the best defensive strategy to protect yourself from malware and ransomware infection, see my comments in this topic.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 23 March 2016 - 03:07 PM

One of the most important actions to take to protect your computer and files is to make regular backups.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#4 JosephPorter

JosephPorter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 27 March 2016 - 09:17 PM

One of the most important actions to take to protect your computer and files is to make regular backups.

I agree with this one having an constant and regular backup.

And have a good antivirus. Me i am using Norton and it works great for a long time now.  And don't install software without scanning or choose the reliable ones.

#5 campson

campson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 10:35 AM

Thank you all, well I have some work to do. I don't do back ups, but I am assuming that the external hard drive I have attached to the computer is what is backing up. I thought I read somewhere that someone mentioned not to have it attached all the time but back it up manually, is that correct?

There is a wealth of information here and although I have used a computer for alot of years, I hardly do any of what is suggested in this forum and I am so pleased to have found you. I will take heed and follow instructions here, you guys rock. Thank you.

#6 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 11:31 AM

I don't do back ups, but I am assuming that the external hard drive I have attached to the computer is what is backing up.

You cannot simple attach an external hard drive to your computer and assume it is automatically doing backups for you.  You need have a backup program and set it up to do the backups.

I thought I read somewhere that someone mentioned not to have it attached all the time but back it up manually, is that correct?

If you happen to get infected by ransomeware and your backup drive is constantly attached to your computer, then the backup files may get encrypted by the ransomeware and become useless.  The better thing to do is to only connect your drive when you need to make backups.

#7 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 29 March 2016 - 03:40 PM

but I am assuming that the external hard drive I have attached to the computer is what is backing up.

A backup is a copy. Are the files on your external hard drives copies or originals?

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 05:37 PM

...I thought I read somewhere that someone mentioned not to have it attached all the time but back it up manually, is that correct?...

Yes you should disconnect your local external drive after performing a backup...if you keep it connected, all backed up data could be infected if your computer becomes infected especially with ransomware.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 campson

campson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 08:32 AM

but I am assuming that the external hard drive I have attached to the computer is what is backing up.

A backup is a copy. Are the files on your external hard drives copies or originals?

Hi Diddier, the files on my external hard drive are copies. I have detached it from my computer. Thank you all for the advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users