Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restore/clone to a smaller size

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ajcstr

ajcstr

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 22 March 2016 - 02:18 PM

Do any of the free backup/restore programs allow restoring or cloning to a smaller drive/partition than the original?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 22 March 2016 - 03:25 PM

None that I'm familiar with.  But there are ways to get around the limitation if you aren't using all the space in the source partition.  One way would be to shrink the source partition before doing the backup.  Another way would be to make a greater than or equal in size partition, do the restore, then shrink it.  Disk space is pretty cheap these days though.  You can buy a 3 TB drive for around $80.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 ajcstr

ajcstr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2016 - 04:08 PM

So really what I need to do is this:

I have a 500GB drive from a dead computer with data on it (200+ GB used)

I have a working computer with a 130 GB hard drive.

I want to put the 500 GB drive in the working computer and move or backup/restore the os and data from the 130 GB and make that the system partition.

So is it as simple as splitting the 500 GB into 2 partitions and restoring a system backup of the smaller drive to the new partition and making that the active one?

Or is it better to (1) shrink the partition on the 500 GB to 300 GB then back it up, (2) wipe the drive and clone the 130 GB to it, then create a new 300 GB partition and restore the backup from step 1.

PS - If this sounds like the guy that has to cross the river with a wolf, a chicken and corn but can only fit one in the boat with him, so be it.

Edited by ajcstr, 22 March 2016 - 04:10 PM.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 22 March 2016 - 04:18 PM

I have tried the free limited versions of Acronis TrueImage supplied by Seagate and Western Digital with drives that they pertain to, and been able to clone to a smaller replacement drive.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,136 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2016 - 05:19 AM

When you say - 500GB drive from a dead computer with data on it (200+ GB used) is that just Data and no Operating System Files.

If its only Data then Create a Partition of say 200G on the 500 Drive and clone the 130G to that.

That leaves you the existing 200+GB Used.

You can transfer the Data back and forth as you wish if needed to gain more space on the C:\ operating System.

Concentrate on Cloning ! ............not on Backups to do the Tasks.

As Quoted by Platypus you can use Acronis Free which ive tried and have and works , yet i still lean towards MiniToolPartition Wizard - Free.

It just does everything and  works , extend partitions , Cloning , etc etc.

#6 ajcstr

ajcstr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2016 - 08:54 AM

I have tried the free limited versions of Acronis TrueImage supplied by Seagate and Western Digital with drives that they pertain to, and been able to clone to a smaller replacement drive.

Nah Toshiba (which I think may be Samsung) ?

#7 ajcstr

ajcstr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2016 - 08:57 AM

When you say - 500GB drive from a dead computer with data on it (200+ GB used) is that just Data and no Operating System Files.

If its only Data then Create a Partition of say 200G on the 500 Drive and clone the 130G to that.

That leaves you the existing 200+GB Used.

You can transfer the Data back and forth as you wish if needed to gain more space on the C:\ operating System.

Concentrate on Cloning ! ............not on Backups to do the Tasks.

As Quoted by Platypus you can use Acronis Free which ive tried and have and works , yet i still lean towards MiniToolPartition Wizard - Free.

It just does everything and  works , extend partitions , Cloning , etc etc.

Computer itself is dead (Mobo I think) and yes the 200 GB includes the OS

Now I always thought cloning had to be to a larger drive. Can I clone a system partition to an empty partition on a destination drive or does the destination drive have to be clean?

I was looking at MiniTool yesterday - thanks for the recommendation.

Edited by ajcstr, 23 March 2016 - 03:38 PM.

#8 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,136 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2016 - 03:50 AM

ajcstr wrote:

Now I always thought cloning had to be to a larger drive.  = Larger or the same as what you are cloning from { eg Used Space }.

Can I clone a system partition to an empty partition on a destination drive or does the destination drive have to be clean? = An empty partition may have deleted files on it etc , So a Format would be recommended prior to a Clone.

Back to your Cloning Question :

I am assuming both existing Drives 130 Gb and 500Gb have only 1 Partition.

If your going to be using the 500 Drive then forget the Operating system that was on it for the dead Mobo.

1/ You will need to have 2 Partitions on it , the first should be a size that corresponds to the 130Gb or sightly higher , for the C:\Drive / OS.

Meaning if you need more room for new programs or some data then make it larger { Mine is 80G } free space needs to be 15%  > 20% or more.

I only run the C:\drive with OS ...all personal data / pics / docs / movies etc  is saved to my D:\Drive { 2nd Partition }

2/ You can either clone the 130Gb as it is - OS and Your data , or backup the Data first externally , and later add to the 500G 2nd partition.

3/ If you backup the personal data from the 130Gb externally , then delete them from the 130Gb and do a cleanup using CCleaner and a Defrag.

4/ If the 500Gb has data you need , save it also externally.

5/ Then Format the 500GB , create 2 Partitions as you wish , eg Partition 1 = 150 > 200Gb and Partition 2 = 300Gb. { Your Choice }.

6/ Then using Minitool , Clone the 130Gb { Select All Partitions - System Reserve / Primary CDrive } to Partiton 1 on the 500Gb,

7/ When done - Swap out and test it boots ok.

8/ If all good - transfer all external Data Backed Up - to the 2nd Partition on the 500Gb.

* Hope this Helps in what you are trying to achieve - albeit i would ensure all Personal Data from both drives is Backed up externally , previously to doing anything , you just never know what can happen.

#9 ajcstr

ajcstr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:53 AM

I have been leaning towards doing it this way...would these modifications to your procedure work?  Let me also say I have a disk image, a partition image and a file image of the 500GB.

The large drive actually has 3 partitions, a small system reserved one, the main partition and a hidden recovery.

Can I wipe the recovery and resize it say to 200GB and move all the data I want to keep there, then clone my 130 GB drive to the 300 GB remaining.

If so, when I clone (the 130 GB has a small system part also) do I leave the small system reserved partition on the destination drive or merge it with the main space ?  Will the cloning software be able to split the new space to add the reserved partition or is it better to have it there already?  

#10 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,136 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2016 - 07:16 PM

YOU WROTE:

I have been leaning towards doing it this way...would these modifications to your procedure work?  Let me also say I have a disk image, a partition image and a file image of the 500GB.

All these Images relate to the previous system you had that you said is now Dead , so disk image / and partition image are not required or usable if the plan in the first place was to use the 130Gb operating system on the 500Gb { Cloned }.

The file Image im unsure of ,but i would guess No ? , do a Manual Backup of any files Externally / as stated in previous Posts.

YOU WROTE:

The large drive actually has 3 partitions, a small system reserved one, the main partition and a hidden recovery.

System Reserved / Main / and Hidden Recovery all pertain to the Dead PC , so if any Data is required from the Main Partition do a Manual Backup of any files Externally as stated in previous Posts or { To access that drive {500Gb}  in another PC / Slave it / Boot from Linux Distro / Extract the Data Externally.

And the Hidden Recovery Partition would be recover to factory condition on the old Pc - and its Dead.

YOU WROTE:

If so, when I clone (the 130 GB has a small system part also) do I leave the small system reserved partition on the destination drive or merge it with the main space ?  Will the cloning software be able to split the new space to add the reserved partition or is it better to have it there already? 

System Reserved - Usually 100 Mb Partition , is not required on the existing destination drive as when you Clone all partitions from the 130Gb to the 500Gb you will have all req partitions to boot the PC.

This is about the best i can explain it for the Original Task at hand of Clone 130 GB to 500Gb , Operating System and Partitions.

Personal Data is something that should of been BackedUp previously anyway externally , Manually eg: Copy and Pasted or Copied To , not using images or backups pertaining to a different System. { In My View }.

You keep changing the Goal Posts to the task you want to achieve and becoming slightly confusing { Lol } that is why i stated we are talking about Cloning a Operating System / Partitions from one drive to another and any personal data is a different issue that should be saved externally as that "Data" and not as an Image or Backup from either a different program or System.{ Personal Data can always be manually restored via an external drive } .

Hopefully you can come to a conclusion as how to tackle this task you wish to achieve.

Others may have a different procedure/and be more knowledgeable to achieve this and are quite welcome to step in and assist you further.

#11 ajcstr

ajcstr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:13 PM

Well, the objective never changed, I shifted gears when it was suggested I would be better off with a cloning process than with backing up the old and restoring to new.

In any event I appreciate the help.  I take regular image backups but have only had to recover once and that was to the same drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users