Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to uninstall software...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 oldXPuser

oldXPuser

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 22 March 2016 - 01:50 PM

I initially posted in the XP forums:-

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/608554/cant-uninstall-a-programme-off-my-xp-pro/

but Louis suggested I post here.  The following is essentially what I posted:-

"I've been trialling XXClone for a while but I've not been 100% happy and today tried to uninstall it but with no success.

I've tried to uninstall via Windows add/remove and all appears to go well - but the software is still on my machine.  I've tried to uninstall using Revo Uninstaller - but the software is still there.  I also tried uninstalling via the start/run box - xxclone /uninst - no luck.  I've tried to uninstall using XXClone's uninstaller directly but the result is always the same.  I've even gone through the registry and removed any references to XXClone I can find but it just sits there on my desktop!!!  There may be some I've missed, I don't really know my way around the registry too well.  I don't mind going in there and having a look...

Incidentally it's Freeware Ver. 2.08.0.  I've tried to re-install and that goes as expected, I've then uninstalled - and that goes as expected, all the appropriate messages coming up on screen after which the software is not listed as installed in either Windows add/remove or Revo - but the XXClone icon is still on my desk top!.  I click on it and the software appears to run! I've not gone the full distance and attempted to make a clone as I don't want my second hard drive overwritten, but what appears on my desktop is definately not just a dead link to the software."

What IS happening?

I don't 'think' I'm infected with anything that might be causing problems.  I have anti-virus and anti-malware and run them regularly.  I use Ccleaner and Revo to remove temp files etc and I defrag every week or so.

Any ideas pse?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 22 March 2016 - 08:32 PM

XXCLONE Technical Note: What's new in this release.

0. Installation

Starting with Ver.0.40.0, the XXCLONE download package
comes with an installation utility that place the
XXCLONE software in the right place in the user disk.

The uninstall options is not working yet.

The HTML-help file is not fully updated.

Unlike other Windows programs, XXCLONE does not create
an entry in the system registry. The installation program
put the executable (and the help file) in the \Windows\System32\
directory.

XXCLONE Technical Support Request Form (Form 58)
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 oldXPuser

oldXPuser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 24 March 2016 - 03:14 PM

Bleeping Janitor – thanks for posting.

‘…The uninstall options is not working yet…’

The version I’ve been using is newer and it has an uninstall option which when run appears to do all the right things – but the software remains installed.  After running the so-called uninstall routine I ran XXClone and it was still fully operational…!

During installation a screen appears saying where files will be created but in fact it creates others and also puts stuff in the Registry.

After trying a number of things I finally sorted it out, quite easy really – should have thought of it earlier and not bothered people on here!  My excuse is I normally shy away from tinkering within the registry but as I had a clone I felt reasonably safe…  I did a search of the registry and deleted all references to XXClone.  I did the same looking through all files on my computer - including Windows - again using the search facility.  All the entries were actually in the Windows folder, where I hadn’t thought of looking earlier.

Incidentally it’s not possible to contact the software writer as apparently he has been hospitalized.

For anyone who may be interested – and now knows the way to uninstall -  XXClone is software which can be used to create a bootable clone and works from within Windows.  I found 2 oddities with the software, the boot.ini always contained 10 entries, the first one being the relevant one so it was necessary to either edit the boot.ini – or just let it start by itself after the short customary delay.  More serious for me was the fact that System Restore was broken in the clone and I could not make it work.  As System Restore has saved me on more that one occasion I needed it to work.  I’m now using a cloning software called Casper which does the same but is slightly less problemmatical.

Thanks for your interest and help,

John

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 24 March 2016 - 03:45 PM

Glad to hear the issue is resolved.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018