Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 10 free upgrade

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 harty

harty

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 22 March 2016 - 01:07 PM

Hi I am running windows 8.1 and keep getting the update to windows 10 every time i start up the laptop can some one please guide me thru a step by step guide to install this as im very happy with windows 8.1 

Edited by hamluis, 22 March 2016 - 01:22 PM.
Moved from Win10 Support to Win10 Discussion - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 harty

harty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2016 - 01:08 PM

sorry i meant to "uninstall" this as i dont want windows 10 

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 22 March 2016 - 01:11 PM

Download and run GWX Control Panel

http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html

#4 harty

harty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2016 - 01:17 PM

Thank You JohnC 21

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2016 - 01:20 PM

GWX control panel will automatically help you deal with GWX but it can be done in manual ways as well. It may be useful to both use GWX control panel and the manual methods. The key things to do is to set windows update to be "check automatically but ask me whether to download" and only download security updates, although even they are not truly OK any more after KB3139929/KB3146449 came out. You also need to remove KB3035583, every recent update doing telemetry stuff, every recent update to the windows update client and every update mentioning "upgrade" on it's kb description page. "Recent" means since January 2015 in this context. You also need to rename any copies of the file gwx.exe you find, and move them to other folders than those you find them in, such that your operating system can no longer recognise and find them. Another crucial step is ensuring windows 10 has not been automatically background downloaded to your harddrive, In your case it seems ti has been. You will need to delete the contents of the "C:\$WINDOWS.~BT" folder by using the built in disk cleanup utility in windows.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#6 harty

harty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2016 - 02:04 PM

ok thank you rp88 i,ll try and do this ...will it be ok if im struggling to get back to you for help ??

#7 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 22 March 2016 - 02:32 PM

You can get into the weeds with a manual process if you really want to, but I've installed the GWX Control Panel on 30 PCs, and it's taken care of everything for me.  If Microsoft comes out with a way to fake out the GWX control panel, that could possibly change, but for now I'm blissfully happy with it.  In my experience the problem with manual procedures has been that they work for a few weeks, then Microsoft comes out with a new update, and you end up at square one.  YMMV.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#8 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2016 - 01:56 PM

"In my experience the problem with manual procedures has been that they work for a few weeks, then Microsoft comes out with a new update, and you end up at square one" You don't end up at square one if you make sure that updates are set so they won't download or install wihout your approval. As long as they can't download then it's up to the user to pick which to install, otherwise none get installed. As long as the user picks the correct ones, for which there are guides online giving advice (and one can look at he description link for each update too), then you don't ever get the gwx related updates arriving. On the other hand anyone who tries to clean away the nasty updates retro-actively (that is to say lets them be automatically downloaded and installed, then removes unwelcome ones) will be back at square one every few weeks.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#9 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 24 March 2016 - 02:51 PM

With Windows 10 Home you have no choice.  AND with the GWX Control Panel, you can leave automatic updates on and not have to worry about all the nagging.  When KB3035583 first came out some months ago, I uninstalled it, then marked it hidden, then booted Linux Mint and deleted all instances of GWX.EXE.  That worked for a few weeks, then MS came out with NEW updates to put it back.  That's the real problem.  Sure you can uninstall updates A, B, and C, but then MS comes out with a new update D and you're back to square one.  This is the voice of experience. 

Edited by Niweg, 24 March 2016 - 02:59 PM.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#10 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 06:09 PM

"That worked for a few weeks, then MS came out with NEW updates to put it back"

That's why one must NEVER let updates be downloaded or installed automatically, have them manual so you can make sure that only the trusted few get installed, that way the nasty updates never even get downloaded. Each time they re-release you hide them, because updates are set NOT to download without your permission it doesn't matter if you don't know about the nasty re-releases for days, they'll still never get onto your system. You don't so much "uninstall A,B and C and hope to catch D in time" rather you install nothing but X,Y and Z which are proper updates doing good things. When D comes out it won't be downloaded, but when you next check updates you'll see it listed as available then hide it. Let's not argue about this, we're both in agreement that KB3035583 and the other GWX things are not welcome. If we have disagreement on method, well best for everyone to use both methods, a double layer against GWX. I think that manual methods can help compliment it, But I agree that GWX control panel is helpful.

Edited by rp88, 29 March 2016 - 06:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users