Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MAC Flapping on a HP Procurve Switch for a Company

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kimario

Kimario

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 22 March 2016 - 12:07 PM

I have a network connectivity issue where both my hardwired and wireless connections are fluctuating. After many hours of research and the help of my ISP I've come to determine that I have MAC Flapping in my network. I'm wondering if anyone have any suggestions as to how I can single out which ports the MAC Flapping is happening on or any other way to discover which device is causing the issue. Thanks for any help!  :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 22 March 2016 - 12:18 PM

Here is an example of what to look for in the mac address list of the procurve

https://blogs.it.ox.ac.uk/networks/2011/02/04/mac-flaps-why-are-they-bad/

Here is how you see it in a procurve

http://egementanirer.blogspot.com/2009/04/view-mac-addresses-of-devices-connected.html

How many pcs are we talking on this switch?

BTW really doubt its duplicate mac addresses since you have both wired and wifi connection issues.

list make and model of all network equipment and how they are connected so we can understand your setup better

Edited by Wand3r3r, 22 March 2016 - 12:21 PM.

#3 Kimario

Kimario
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 23 March 2016 - 04:47 PM

Thanks for the advice I went to the first link in your reply which gave the steps I needed to accurately figure out where the issue was. It seems we did have a loop in our network coming from one of the HP Procurve switches in our IDF. After doing some port by port disconnects/ reconnects I was quickly able to figure out where our loop was located on the specific port and rectified the situation... Thanks a bunch  :thumbsup:

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 23 March 2016 - 05:17 PM

Enabling STP on all switches is what prevents switch loops.  Something for next time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users