Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP pro desk 405 still under warranty

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 22 March 2016 - 11:01 AM

I'm having issues doing a clean install on this PC. It seems it comes with Windows 8 installed and another tech downgraded it to windows 7. I was then told to do a clean install on it and pulled the cd key with a program and installed Windows 7 Pro with a ISO I have. Now it won't activate the key saying it is invalid. I have the CDs coming from HP that I guess might help but I need this PC working today really. Is the key it pulled really a windows 8 key and just said 7 since that what was installed when I used the program to pull it? What are my options to get an active key?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,625 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2016 - 11:32 AM

Because the computer came pre-installed with Windows 8 the key is embedded in firmware. You can download the media creation tool here. You will need to download it using a Windows 7 or 8 computer.

Follow the clean install steps here. If you need data off the drive you can pull it using a live linux disk like FatDog64 or Hirens CD. You may need to disable SecureBoot in BIOS but I believe it has already been disabled if you are booting Windows 7. When you get to the Window asking for the Windows 8.1 key do not input anything and click Next. Windows 8.1 will self activate when online. 

If you cannot click next then use one of these generic keys depending on what version of 8 was on the computer.

Windows 8.1 (Not Pro): 334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT 
Windows 8.1 Pro: XHQ8N-C3MCJ-RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WKB 

The key you pulled may be for Windows 7. You can verify it using this utility. When you input the key what is listed under Edition Type?

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 March 2016 - 11:40 AM.

#3 chalup

chalup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2016 - 11:39 AM

Because the computer came pre-installed with Windows 8 the key is embedded in firmware. You can download the media creation tool here. You will need to download it using a Windows 7 or 8 computer.

Follow the clean install steps here. If you need data off the drive you can pull it using a live linux disk like FatDog64 or Hirens CD. You may need to disable SecureBoot in BIOS but I believe it has already been disabled if you are booting Windows 7. When you get to the Window asking for the Windows 8.1 key do not input anything and click Next. Windows 8.1 will self activate when online. 

If you cannot click next then use one of these generic keys depending on what version of 8 was on the computer.

Windows 8.1 (Not Pro): 334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT 
Windows 8.1 Pro: XHQ8N-C3MCJ-RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WKB 

Getting this on "create media" link, of course it would be down when I need it >_>

http://web.esd.microsoft.com/W9TPE/0ABA00DD20413FB6425A0D45222C562B/E/mediacreationtool.exe

Seems I have an ISO of Win8 Pro also, so I'm going to use Rufus to try a fresh install via it. Would have been greatly helpful to know this came with Windows 8 before hand, ha.

Edited by chalup, 22 March 2016 - 11:45 AM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,625 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2016 - 11:45 AM

Looks like Microsoft want people to migrate to Windows 10. The Windows 10 media creation tool should  use the 8.1 embedded key but I am not sure if you want Windows 10. I will see if I can find the tool for 8.1

Edit: This link for 8.1 works with the above generic keys. Get it while you can because this link may go away soon too. Pick your key, Home or Pro depending on what was installed on your computer.

Posted on another forum that the media creation tool I linked to is dead. 

Edit Edit: Per your edited post. If your computer came preinstalled with Windows 8 and not Pro then using a Pro disk will not work. Use the above link to download 8.1 of your version.

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 March 2016 - 12:03 PM.

#5 chalup

chalup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2016 - 12:08 PM

Looks like Microsoft want people to migrate to Windows 10. The Windows 10 media creation tool should  use the 8.1 embedded key but I am not sure if you want Windows 10. I will see if I can find the tool for 8.1

Edit: This link for 8.1 works with the above generic keys. Get it while you can because this link may go away soon too. Pick your key, Home or Pro depending on what was installed on your computer.

Posted on another forum that the media creation tool I linked to is dead. 

Edit Edit: Per your edited post. If your computer came preinstalled with Windows 8 and not Pro then using a Pro disk will not work. Use the above link to download 8.1 of your version.

That link isn't working for me either. I'm assuming it came with pro because it was downgraded to windows 7 Pro, and it is a business computer, we only use the pro versions for back office PCs.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,625 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2016 - 12:15 PM

Sorry, I gave the incorrect link. Here it is. 

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only

#7 chalup

chalup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2016 - 12:17 PM

Sorry, I gave the incorrect link. Here it is. 

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only

Awesome appreciate it. The Pro install is almost done, if the key doesn't activate then ill do it this way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users