Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issue with windows shutdown error after proper shutdown/reboot

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 MasterNe0

MasterNe0

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 22 March 2016 - 09:16 AM

We have a lenovo t440s laptop that had a failed harddrive. We manage to clone the drive but because of how bad the failure was, part of the mbr partition and the lenovo recovery partition was lost.

i manage to repair the mbr partition by using a Windows 7 DVD and using fixmbr, fixboot and rebuildbcd command from the recovery console to get the machine up and running.

We didn't see any other issue however whenever we shutdown the laptop or do a reboot for windows, it will say that windows did not shutdown properly  when it boots back up and to select start windows normally or repair mode.

The other strange issue I notice was that when using the windows 7 dvd repair option, it does not detect the OS installed when you get the GUI box. It does detect it when i did the rebuiltBCD option even thought it corrupted boot the second time I ran the command and to again reboot into the dvd and rerun it a third time allowing me to get into the machine.

Any ideas how I can resolve the windows did not shutdown properly error.

I could reinstall windows but since the machine came with Windows 8 media with downgrade to windows 7, I dont want to use a genuine dvd to reinstall it since i am not sure if it will even work.

People told me to just upgrade to Windows 10 but i cannot do that at the moment for this client of ours that has this issue.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users