Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 laptop not startig, hangs on classpnp.sys when loading safe mode

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 greenthea

greenthea

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 22 March 2016 - 09:10 AM

Model: HP g7-2204sd

HDD swapped for SSD

So my father's laptop has been working without problems for 3 years now up until now. 

It will no go beyond the "starting windows" loading screen and when I try to boot it in safe mode it will hang on loading "classpnp.sys".

After maybe a 100 reboots it started and it worked for a while only to crash again showing a bsod (of which I have a picture) which I hope will help some. 

I have already tried multiple fixes from the internet by looking up things like "safe mode freezes on classpnp.sys" but none of them have worked. 

startup repair says there is nothing it can repair.

I will try to add a bsod dump if I can get it to boot again.

Your thoughts are very much appreciated. Many thanks!

Jorn

Attached Files

Edited by greenthea, 22 March 2016 - 09:33 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Edwin009

Edwin009

• Banned Spammer
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 22 March 2016 - 09:35 AM

Hi,

I see that you had swapped the HDD with SSD. Did you reinstall the OS using a disk. Or you have a separate recovery partition ?

If you have an OS disk, you can boot from it and perform in-place upgrade.

-Edwin.

#3 greenthea

greenthea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2016 - 09:41 AM

Thanks for your reply Edwin,

I installed this ssd 3 years ago when the laptop was as good as new and it has been working with that and windows 7 for 3 years up until now. It used to run windows 8 with the hdd that was in it before, I do not have a seperate recovery partition.

I thought that an in-place upgrade could only be done if you can boot into the system by running the setup file from the disk from there? Sadly I cannot do that.

Jorn

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 22 March 2016 - 10:34 AM

This could be due to a failing drive or corrupt file system. Do you need any data on the drive? After pulling any important data off the drive you could try doing a chkdsk on the SSD.

To can easily pull data from the SSD to an external drive use Parted Magic. You can download the iso here. Burn the iso to disk. On Windows 7 right click the iso file and select Burn Disk Image. Boot the disk. After pulling any important data using this guide you can do a disk diagnostic by double clicking Disk Health on the desktop. This will start a program called GsmartControl. Do the short and long diagnostic test.

#5 icezy

icezy

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 23 March 2016 - 07:09 AM

It seem u had the same problem as mine,
Did u try hard reset???
It works for me
Though mine still crash when running malwarebyte 

#6 greenthea

greenthea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 06:17 AM

I cannot hard reset this computer because there is no recovery partition because I installed the OS myself u know.

#7 greenthea

greenthea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 06:24 AM

Thanks John I am going to test the health of the ssd now as you suggested!

Edited by greenthea, 25 March 2016 - 07:10 AM.

#8 greenthea

greenthea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 08:06 AM

Hey John here are the results from gsmartcontrol

screenshots.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/065rnvr0xtj0izb/screenshots.png?dl=0

The self-tests did not even finish.. Could you check out the screenshots for me? I think this drive is broken haha.

Jorn

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 26 March 2016 - 08:37 AM

According to the test the drive has failed but you should run one more test to see if your RAM is okay. I believe you will find your RAM okay as Parted Magic booted and ran in RAM but it's always good to check. Run Memtest+. It should be on the Parted Magic disk as shown here. If not you can get it here as a bootable iso. Run the test for at least 6 passes and preferably overnight. If the RAM passes then the drive has failed or there is an issue with the motherboard. 

You can pull the drive and attach it to another computer via an enclosure or USB adapter to confirm if the drive is dead. If the drive passes when attached to another computer using either Seatools for Windows or Parted Magic then that would confirm a larger issue with the computer, most likely the motherboard.

#10 greenthea

greenthea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 10:17 AM

I installed a new SSD and the computer works well now. thanks for the help!

Jorn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users