Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 SP1 - "Checking for updates" hangs

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 BigD_NC

BigD_NC

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 21 March 2016 - 09:58 PM

Hi all, I have an old laptop that has seen better days but I keep it around as a backup.  Due to slow performance and the fact that it will be minimally used, I did a factory restore to speed things up a little.

The problem is, since the restore, it will not update. I run the Windows updater but it just hangs on "Checking for updates".

Has anyone had this problem, and a suggested resolution?  The laptop is 7 years old so since I did a factory restore I would expect a plethora of updates.

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 22 March 2016 - 03:07 AM

Hi BigD_NC,

Have a look at this thread, it seems you're not alone

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/608538/windows-7-clean-install/