Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Was entire content of my C drive available for everyone on my network to see?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kurtgillis12

kurtgillis12

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 21 March 2016 - 09:40 PM

Sorry, title is supposed to say " Was the entire contents of my C drive available for everyone on my network to see?" If a mod could fix that please :)

When I click My Network Places at the top of the list is the drive "acer (c ) Carla Arseneault (carla)". Carla arsenault is the name of my computer.Anyway, It contains all the files of the C drive, which is quite alarming. Its located above Shared Documents file, not in it, then the list goes on to list servers and so on that are on the network. It even has the little hardrive logo by it!

I dont understand why im seeing it there. Was it actually viewable by anyone on the network?
I tried goin into my computer, right clicking properties on the c drive, and then security tab where it warns me about the danger of sharing the root of the driver. I click it, and the box then states "share with other computers on network" or something along those lines is not checked...

Is it just listed there on my local computer, or for everyone to see!?! Perhaps this is there to make it easier to bring stuff to shared documents? Anybody else ever see their c drive on the My network places?

I dont use this computer anymore, so Im not worried about them seeing all the contents now, but am more interested in learning whether it was available to others at any poiint in time from what you can tell with this info (or any other info I havn't looked at)

thanks and all opinions would be appreciated

Added some pictures incase my descriptions weren't very good.

Attached Files

• Attached File  ww.png   156.24KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  rr.png   219.07KB   0 downloads

Edited by kurtgillis12, 21 March 2016 - 09:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lac8383

lac8383

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 26 March 2016 - 09:12 PM

1. Open "Network and Sharing Center"
  2. Click "Change Advanced Sharing Settings"
  3. Under "File & Printer Sharing", make sure the radio button for "File and printer sharing" is checked for "Turn off file & printer sharing"
  4. This will prevent your shares on your computer from being visible on the network.

In the current setup you have, it appears that your shares are freely visible on the network for those to see. You can perform the above steps to disable file & printer sharing which will hide your drive shares.

Attached Files

#3 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2016 - 02:46 PM

Well if you want to know whether or not the C drive was shared, you can check under the sharing tab of the properties menu (which you can access by right-clicking on the the C drive and selecting properties) and seeing what it says.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 27 March 2016 - 03:19 PM

I changed the title of your topic. For future reference, report your post and request that the title be changed. A moderator will see the report and change it.

#5 kurtgillis12

kurtgillis12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2016 - 05:28 PM

Well if you want to know whether or not the C drive was shared, you can check under the sharing tab of the properties menu (which you can access by right-clicking on the the C drive and selecting properties) and seeing what it says.

This is what is confusing me. When I go to that tab it gives me the warning about sharing the root of the drive as if its not currently shared. The box that you check to share the drive is also not checked, yet there it is at the top of MyNetworkPlaces..

I suppose I should mention its windows xp home os, so its on simple file sharing.

Any ideas why im seeing it there?

#6 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2016 - 05:56 PM

I think then it probably wasn't shared. You would have to hook it up to the network and try to access it from a different computer to be sure, but from what it sounds like it probably wasn't shared.

How to check if a share is active:

Make sure both PCs (the PC with the share and the one you want to test with) are connected to the same network, and are on the same homegroup.

On the machine you will be using to test for the share, open up command prompt by searching for cmd.exe.

At the prompt, type
net use X: \\<computer-name>\<share-name> /Persistent:NO
It looks like the network name for your PC is carla and the share name is c. Replace the placeholders (<computer-name> and <share-name>) with those names. If you see a new drive named X appear and is accessible, the share works. If you get an error, the share is not active.

IMPORTANT: this will not work if you have a drive named X on your PC already. If so, replace "X" with any drive letter not currently in use.

Edited by ScathEnfys, 27 March 2016 - 05:58 PM.

#7 kurtgillis12

kurtgillis12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2016 - 11:19 PM

I think then it probably wasn't shared. You would have to hook it up to the network and try to access it from a different computer to be sure, but from what it sounds like it probably wasn't shared.
How to check if a share is activesure both PCs (the PC with the share and the one you want to test with) are connected to the same network, and are on the same homegroup.
On the machine you will be using to test for the share, open up command prompt by searching for cmd.exe.
At the prompt, type

net use X: \\<computer-name>\<share-name> /Persistent:NO
It looks like the network name for your PC is carla and the share name is c. Replace the placeholders (<computer-name> and <share-name>) with those names. If you see a new drive named X appear and is accessible, the share works. If you get an error, the share is not active.IMPORTANT: this will not work if you have a drive named X on your PC already. If so, replace "X" with any drive letter not currently in use.

The problem is I dont have access to the network or any computer on it anymore. I'm kind of trying to find out if it WAS available to others.

Thats a good idea though. If I created a network home would the Carla Arsenault c drive stay in my network places and be available to the new network? Or would I have to manually put it back? Beacause if I have to manually add the c drive, i'd have to do it trough properties security tab, which it appears how the current shared c drive got to My network places.

#8 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2016 - 10:06 AM

As long as the homegroup is the same and you are connected via a wired connection, I don't think things would change. Not messed with shares in a while, however, so am not 100% sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users