Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All Icons On Desktop Get Highlighted

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 02 August 2006 - 10:04 AM

Hey Gang,

I just got a phone call from a tennis buddy concerning his XP computer. He says once every 4 or 5 startups he has an issue. And the issue is: Clicking on one icon on the desktop highlights all icons, and the computer basically acts like it is frozen, doesn't work. Ctrl+alt+del does not respond. He has to shut off computer and reboot. So far rebooting has 'cured' the problem every time.

I can't find anything in MS KB concerning this, but it does sound a bit like either malware related, or a corrupt windows file. However, to me the puzzling thing is that it is not consistant. Only once every 4 or 5 boots, perhaps a driver??? I really don't know as I have not come accross this issue before.

Do you have any ideas on where to go with this? Again, I have not seen the computer first hand, yet. But if I need to give it a visit I will.

Thanks!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 02 August 2006 - 03:07 PM

Your right, that sounds like a faulty driver or a corrupt windows file.

To fix a new problem I would have to be infront of the computer to see the problem first hand and then think of a resolution on how to fix it.

Good luck!
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2006 - 03:21 PM

To fix a new problem I would have to be infront of the computer to see the problem first hand and then think of a resolution on how to fix it.

Thanks for the response. I will probably go in front of this computer in the next few days as it's owner lives on a lake and it is about 100 degrees here! Good reason to go, don't ya think?

Any more ideas? I haven't even found anything through Google. Hmmmmmm.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 02 August 2006 - 04:56 PM

This is a little article about when Control/Alt/Delete doesn't work. But I do think a trip to the lake is a must!
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 snooker

snooker

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 02 August 2006 - 05:40 PM

Hi ... I had a friend with similar problems but not exactly as your buddy there , Though his comp wouldn't load correctly and he had the alt ctrl dlt not working , it would freeze on him , Even after hours checking his comp I finally realize it was his ide cable ( hard drive to motherboard ) We change that and everything was fine again , Now I'm not saying this is the case with your buddy but its worth checking

Edited by snooker, 02 August 2006 - 05:42 PM.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2006 - 05:55 PM

Has he tried to defragment his hard drive and what AV ap is he using?

#7 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2006 - 06:29 PM

Has he tried to defragment his hard drive and what AV ap is he using?

He is pretty religious in his defragging every 30 days, then he ghosts the hard drive to a second hard drive. He is using Norton A/V, it is current and up to date.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2006 - 06:37 PM

If he knows when this anomaly began he can use System Restore.

Has he run checkdisk? Have him run it five times from safe mode command prompt.

And, if neither of the above works he can restore a Ghost image.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2006 - 08:12 AM

I've had similar problems on my FTP Server - and finally gave up on it. A repair install didn't fix it, nor did any of the other tricks. Still randomly reboots without error messages - and won't even boot to a CD to run MemTest. Yet it works quite well in Safe Mode for limited periods of time.

I'm suspecting either the UPS software or the Logitech webcam software (I'm using a newer camera with the older software and it doesn't always work quite right).

But I haven't cracked the case - so it could be loose connections or a failing vid card.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users