Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

''Boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible''

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bournescavenger

Bournescavenger

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 21 March 2016 - 03:43 PM

Hi Guys--first post,any suggestions for my issue please....

I acquired an used desktop hp P6790 running Win 7 Home Premium,64bit. Nosoftware discs.

Worked fine until I tried to install Window updates which resulted in black screen with only the cursor on it.

Tried to reboot in safe mode/safe mode with networking but after a brief scroll of drivers loading it stops at....

'windows\system32\drivers\AVGIDSEH.SYS'           and message 'Please wait.'

After some time it reverts back to the black screen with cursor.

More amateurish tinkling produces...

'Unable to 'repair computer'

'Windows failed to start A recent hardware or software change might be the cause'

'Status: 0xc000000f'

'Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible'

I took it to my local repair shop where for £25 they diagnosed physical hard drive failure and quoted £95 to supply 500gb HD and reinstall Windows but not to recover anything on disk.

I only wanted to keep some of the installed programs,Photoshop etc. so not too bothered about binning the PC as it cost me nothing and it's not worth paying out £95 but before I do bin it I thought I'd asked the forum if there are any other choices available to me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 21 March 2016 - 04:16 PM

Old hard drives are mechanical devices with spinning platters and reciprocating heads. These moving parts cause wear. And, when this wear becomes great enough, it is no longer possible for the heads to zero in on exact locations where data is stored on the hard drive. In other words, it's simply worn out. :(

#3 Bournescavenger

Bournescavenger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2016 - 04:37 PM

Thanks for that--it's black arm band on and trip to local tip/recycling centre then.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 21 March 2016 - 04:54 PM

Not to go against what the shop said but I would verify if the drive is bad by creating a bootable disk of Seatools for DOS. Run the short and long generic tests. If the drive is not detected then use Parted Magic, burn the iso file and double click Disk Health on the desktop. Do the short and long tests.

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/201271en

You can burn an iso on Windows 7 by right clicking the iso and selecting "Burn Disk Image"

Parted Magic, based on linux, will let you pull any data if possible to an external flash drive or hard drive. See this guide.

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 March 2016 - 04:56 PM.

#5 Bournescavenger

Bournescavenger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2016 - 06:17 AM

Not to go against what the shop said but I would verify if the drive is bad by creating a bootable disk of Seatools for DOS. Run the short and long generic tests. If the drive is not detected then use Parted Magic, burn the iso file and double click Disk Health on the desktop. Do the short and long tests.

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/201271en

You can burn an iso on Windows 7 by right clicking the iso and selecting "Burn Disk Image"

Parted Magic, based on linux, will let you pull any data if possible to an external flash drive or hard drive. See this guide.

Thanks for those suggestions John--I'll eat some fish,amalgamate my working brain cells and give them a go. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users