Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem Deleting a File

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 KrazyMonkey

KrazyMonkey

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 21 March 2016 - 03:20 PM

Hi, i'm not sure if this is the right forum for this. apologies if not

I have an mpeg file on my desktop that won't delete. i've tried right click delete, tried dragging to the recycle bin, deleting in safe mode. nothing will work.

Any ideas?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 21 March 2016 - 04:33 PM

Boot the system from a "Live" CD/DVD or USB flash drive and then delete it.

A "Live" USB flash drive contains a complete bootable computer operating system (OS). When you boot a computer from it, this OS loads into, and then runs from the computer's memory instead of booting from the OS on your hard drive. This allows you to run a different OS without installing it or making any changes to your computer's current configuration.

To create one of these, download an ISO file containing the OS you want to use, such as Ubuntu, Slax or Zorin, then use something like Rufus to burn that ISO file to a USB key/flash drive

Now boot your computer from this USB key/flash drive and your computer will be running the OS on it instead of the one on your hard drive.

When you're done, simply remove the CD/DVD or USB key/flash drive and reboot your PC from the hard drive.

#3 KrazyMonkey

KrazyMonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 21 March 2016 - 06:01 PM

Ah thanks mate, worked great :bananas:

#4 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 23 March 2016 - 12:14 AM

I have two questions about this.

Could the goal be done through the live CD instead of making and using the bootable usb flash drive?

Does Windows need to make its own adjustment for the file finally being deleted (done in the other operating system) after you startup the computer back into Windows?

#5 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,167 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 23 March 2016 - 05:30 AM

I have two questions about this.

Could the goal be done through the live CD instead of making and using the bootable usb flash drive?

Does Windows need to make its own adjustment for the file finally being deleted (done in the other operating system) after you startup the computer back into Windows?

Live Usb or Live CD - either one ..doesnt matter.

Both Will Work.

Unlocker Program also works , but when it doesnt or cant - revert back to the Above. 

#6 compostery

compostery

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 29 March 2016 - 10:01 PM

I know this is an old thread, but this may have helped also, it adds "Take Ownership" to the right click menu...  HERE

#7 JacobVR

JacobVR

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 31 March 2016 - 04:59 PM

Recently I’ve had some problems deleting .MOV and .ICO files from my desktop in Windows Vista. After months of frustration and searching the web for a solution to the problem, I’ve finally found it! Although this issue seems to be very well known in both Windows Vista and Windows 7, I was only able to find the correct answer after deep searching! So, I wanted to post it here for all others to see, in hopes that it will save you some pain in your life!

#8 compostery

compostery

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:09 PM

@JacobVR

Yes I see, April the first :bubbles:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users