Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Domain Names

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Portoman

Portoman

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 21 March 2016 - 10:01 AM

Hi

Could anyone help me with this please : I intend to start a website but I am unsure about the difference that my domain name choices will make. I want 2 words, "Newcastle" and "IELTS"  to stand out so they can be searched. So what difference would the 3 choices below do (do the capitals make any difference at all ?).

a ) www.newcastleielts.com

B) www.newcastle- ielts.com

c)www.newcastleIELTS.com

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Smsec

Smsec

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 21 March 2016 - 10:08 AM

Domain names are not case sensitive so capitals make no difference. 

#3 Portoman

Portoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2016 - 10:10 AM

Domain names are not case sensitive so capitals make no difference. 

okay. Do you know if the hyphen would make any difference ?

#4 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 21 March 2016 - 10:19 AM

I would personally suggest the hyphen, especially to help the eye with all the vowels that are strung together. I'm not familiar with the IELTS acronym, so the first choice looks like a giant jumble of letters to me.

If in doubt, you can always purchase both, and have one simply redirect to the other.

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic]

ransomnotecleaner-25.png RansomNoteCleaner - Remove Ransom Notes Left Behind [Support Topic]

cryptosearch-25.pngCryptoSearch - Find Files Encrypted by Ransomware [Support Topic]

If I have helped you and you wish to support my ransomware fighting, you may support me here.

#5 Smsec

Smsec

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 21 March 2016 - 10:19 AM

Either would work. I don't think the dash will matter much in search. If cost is not a big concern, you might register both. Then pick one as your primary domain and redirect the other to the primary. This also keeps someone else from registering it.

Here's an article on "redirects" for search engine optimization. https://moz.com/learn/seo/redirection

#6 Portoman

Portoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2016 - 10:35 AM

Either would work. I don't think the dash will matter much in search. If cost is not a big concern, you might register both. Then pick one as your primary domain and redirect the other to the primary. This also keeps someone else from registering it.

Here's an article on "redirects" for search engine optimization. https://moz.com/learn/seo/redirection

thanks

#7 Portoman

Portoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2016 - 10:47 AM

I would personally suggest the hyphen, especially to help the eye with all the vowels that are strung together. I'm not familiar with the IELTS acronym, so the first choice looks like a giant jumble of letters to me.

If in doubt, you can always purchase both, and have one simply redirect to the other.

Yes IELTS is the name of an exam.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users