Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buffalo Linkstation NAS clicking, blue light continually flashing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tinkywinky

tinkywinky

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 21 March 2016 - 08:26 AM

I have a Buffalo Linkstation NAS, model LS-X3.0TL-EU.  It contains a WD Green 3TB hard drive.  When starting it up recently the drive was no longer spinning.  I can hear 3 soft clicks followed by another 3 soft clicks (presumably the platters trying to read the drive), then nothing at all.  The blue light on the front of the NAS constantly flashes quickly (no sequence to the flashes) until the NAS powers down after a minute or two. 

I took the drive out and hooked it up via an external enclosure and the same clicking sequence happens.  I've tried it both on a Windows 10 laptop and a Windows XP PC just to cover my bases. 

Unfortunately, this is the worst time possible for this to happen as my main laptop starting showing signs of HDD failure recently.  I'd just made sure that all my photos and videos were backed up on the NAS before it died completely, and now the NAS has gone as well.  I have some of my files on a third external HDD backup, but not all of the recent ones. 

Is there a way of diagnosing a drive that won't spin up to find out whether it's the PCB, firmware or drive itself? Or any other suggestions to try and fix it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 21 March 2016 - 05:26 PM

Ontrack, DriveSavers and Datarecovery are three well-known and respected* companies that can attempt to retrieve files off of a 'dead' hard drive. Pricing typically runs between a few hundred to a couple of thousand dollars (US).

There is no guarantee that usable data will be recovered however. If a drive is too damaged, the data is effectively gone. Also, if a drive was encrypted and the customer doesn't have the encryption key, recovery becomes extremely unlikely. Many hard drive manufacturers are now selling self-encrypting drives with the decryption key on the drive's circuit board. In those cases, data-recovery requires the original, working circuit board.

Physical damage can also leave a drive permanently unreadable. If the read/write heads have scraped the magnetic coating off the platter, there's nothing to recover.

And overwriting files today -- intentionally or otherwise -- renders the erased bits unreadable. Overwriting a sector once is just as secure as the fabled Gutmann method, which rewrites sectors 35 times. Today's drives pack data so tightly there is no room for ghosts of previous bits.

*Western Digital "Platinum Data Recovery Partners"

#3 compostery

compostery

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 21 March 2016 - 06:20 PM

What you hear is the hard drive click of death, and unfortunately fatal. The use of any green drives in a nas is controversial to say the least and WD reds would be a better choice when replaced.

#4 tinkywinky

tinkywinky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 22 March 2016 - 02:14 PM

Thanks for the replies.  The green HD was the original one that came with the NAS from Buffalo so I'm a bit surprised it's not considered suitable.

I suppose now I have to weigh up whether my photos are worth the cost of data recovery or whether to take my chances with some of the DIY methods.  :(

#5 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 22 March 2016 - 08:26 PM

I've had the same trouble with a buffalo nas. It's drive and my parent's computer's seagate drives failed at the same time, and professional recovery was $1400.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users